User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
bmwloco OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
Nothing to prove...

The R100RS is on the charger. Tires pumped up and ready.

Mojo, my R60/2 is always ready. Das Beast, the R100RS beater/mit Acerbis and other goodies sits on the lift.

But not today. They will sit, safe and dry. At 10am it is 14F here, and the wood stove is skipping along at 600F with the stirling engine fan rolling. Elroy, the mutt, is whining about his ball under the chair.

Looks like a down day... sometimes necessary. But I do need to ride soon.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,933
Keep 'em warm up there, Dean. Never lived with a wood stove up until 2 weeks ago. Was burning 1 1/2 year old oak, and just ran out and had to switch wood piles to a cherry around the same age. I can't get the stove much over 500 with the cherry, and even then it takes awhile to get it up there. What's up with that?! Stay warm....
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,417
When I hear you southerners complain about how cold it is, I shake my head. Why don't you come up for a visit for perspective. Nevermind, I think I'll come visit you instead.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
bmwloco OP
Beastly Adventurer

I am not complaining about cold. I spent 12 years working in Antarctica. Let me tell you about cold sometime. -113F fun fun fun. Lived in Vermont, too.

I am lucky enough to live in the mountains, and in the Southeastern US. It ain't easy, sometimes, but as true most of the time if you do not like the weather, hang around a couple days. It will change.

Hardwaregrrl... I start with kindling (broken up red oak) then when it gets hot, I switch to locust... and keep piling it on. Once coals start, I keep adding. I use an old early 80's Vermont Castings Resolute in the living room. Elroy is passed out in front of it now.

Time to top off the coffee cup. 22F now. Joy.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
Old 02-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
bmwloco OP
Beastly Adventurer

hehehe...

Just went out to the garage. Elroy needed to look over the yard and do his business too. Looked at the RS and the onboard temp gauge (put on by previous owner) was reading all of 18F. Turned on the gas, turned off the headlight (euro switch) and pulled the choke to full on. Onboard ready light went to green (thanks to Rick Jones on that bit o' brilliance). I hit the starter button...

She barked once, then fell into an easy idle.

Nope, not today old girl. But soon.

More wood in the stove.

Airhead #371
Old 02-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwloco View Post
I am not complaining about cold. I spent 12 years working in Antarctica. Let me tell you about cold sometime. -113F fun fun fun. Lived in Vermont, too.

I am lucky enough to live in the mountains, and in the Southeastern US. It ain't easy, sometimes, but as true most of the time if you do not like the weather, hang around a couple days. It will change.

Hardwaregrrl... I start with kindling (broken up red oak) then when it gets hot, I switch to locust... and keep piling it on. Once coals start, I keep adding. I use an old early 80's Vermont Castings Resolute in the living room. Elroy is passed out in front of it now.

Time to top off the coffee cup. 22F now. Joy.
I use a ton of locust in the boatbuilding work I do, therefore I have a lot of scrap. It's the best firewood I've come across. When the fire is out, there's very little ash, and it's pure white.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,933
Wink

Ah ha!! I'm stuck with cherry it's the only wood over 6 months old that I have access to. But I have left over red oak flooring with 8% mc!!! I'm not complaining but I have to warm the house up so I can poly the floors and get the hell home!!

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 02-12-2012 at 12:52 PM
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
bmwloco OP
Beastly Adventurer

I still have a little Cherry left over from the big branch that breeched the roof of the garage. Neighbors tree. He was kindly enough to have someone take care of it (mind you, it weighed tons) and asked what I wanted done with it.

"just cut it to 14-16" lengths...". I have an electric 5-ton splitter. Cherry heated the house all last year, and I have a few odd pieces left. Again, just starter for the locust.

Up to 31F now at 2:44pm. I could maybe pull it out a bike, but probably not. Better to just chill... I have an aching shoulder to tend to... and got word that Rick's dad passed away this morning. Time for a little introspection and time with the dog.

Airhead #371
Old 02-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,013
Up early in the high desert. On the bike at 0700. Temp gauge read 22 degrees. Started snowing the moment I got on the interstate and snowed at a moderate rate the whole rest of my short ride to breakfast with the local BMW folks.

Only problem riding home was keeping my feet from slipping when I was stopped at the lights.

Now sitting in front of the woodstove fumbling with the keyboard. You'd think New Mexico would be really warm but I live at 5310 feet and the weather here is Alpine Desert.

Santa Fe, up the road, is getting a fair showfall today and is probably 10 degrees colder.

Year round riding here in the SW, but you'd better be ready for riding in the cold some of the time. (It is a dry cold, though.)
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
bmwloco OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ah, New Mexico. I first explored it back in 1988 on my 1977 R75/7.

One of the most epic rides that I will always remember was from Carlsbad at 117F and arriving a couple hours later in the bliss of Cloudcroft at 77F. I wandered all over the state on that ride, and found to be just absolutely wonderful.

I hope to return someday.

Airhead #371
Old 02-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,013
We should talk. I just added a cherry '77 R75/7 to the herd. My new favorite airhead and competing for best bike. Even in the heat, Carlsbad is a treat.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote