Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #31
RoughReady OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale
Man, wish that thing fit my r90
Beautiful stand for sure. The Browns will fit your R90 (I've got one on mine and on my R75/6 as well) and I couldn't be happier with how well they work and how much of an improvement they are over the stock setup. They are on E-bay and IBMWR from time to time and the Beemershop (Scotts Valley) had some new ones in stock a while back. I think they run about $145 or so new. I understand that Boxerworks is also making up a fresh batch which is from whom I got my R75 sidestand about 6 years ago.

RoughReady screwed with this post 01-29-2010 at 03:28 PM
RoughReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #32
bikecat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
Anyone has a pic of a Brown stand? Decided to get rid of the self-retracting one on the R100R.

Cheers
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #33
boxerkuh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Question still available

I am hunting down an aftermarket sidestand option for my 92 R100R. I have already removed the crash bars and the stock suicide sidestand. I have a brown stand in hand that I am willing to trade.... or please put me in touch with somebody that can provide a solid option. Appreciate it...
boxerkuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #34
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerkuh View Post
I am hunting down an aftermarket sidestand option for my 92 R100R. I have already removed the crash bars and the stock suicide sidestand. I have a brown stand in hand that I am willing to trade.... or please put me in touch with somebody that can provide a solid option. Appreciate it...
Try emailing Carl the designer/builder from here: http://www.flyingtpot.com/sidestands.htm

He has told me that the R100GS stand will work on the R100R with some sort of mod. I have one of his monolever stands on my R80ST and it works great.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #35
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
Try emailing Carl the designer/builder from here: http://www.flyingtpot.com/sidestands.htm

+1 on Carl....at least for the service. I purchased a side stand from him for my GSPD, but I sold the bike (and included the stand) before I installed it.

Carl was very conscientious about emailing to see if I had installed it yet, how it went, if I had questions etc...
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #36
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 921
Double trouble

OK I live in Miami and I work in Costa Rica so I am there a lot. Yesterday while I was in San Jose I was sitting watching a motorcycle cop in a parking lot looking at suspicious things. When he went to stop I noticed his sidestand was on the right side so I thought…hum….thats funny, but Costa Rica is a funny place.

So he gets back on the bke and rides a little further and now its on the left….so I'm like…what the hell…..and wallah, I look close and he has a sidestand on each side of the bike. Now hows that for raising the danger bar on sidestand hazards? And we complain about our self retracting.

CLOSE UP;

patrkbukly screwed with this post 10-10-2014 at 12:08 PM
patrkbukly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #37
ianboydsnr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughReady View Post
Here's a pic of the sidestand (I haven't removed the stock unit yet) just installed.
I made a stand similar to yours, for my R80 Gs, I had to dog leg it to miss the centre stand though, otherwise I would have had to modify the centre stand, so it was higher before hitting the rubber stop, or lower the centre stand before putting down the sidestand, how did you manage to miss the centre stand with yours,

I made one for my r80G/s as well, but that was a lot simpler,

I will try and post pictures tomorrow!

here is the picture

and my G/s

ianboydsnr screwed with this post 10-11-2014 at 02:32 AM
ianboydsnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:12 AM   #38
CaptMako
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Here is a link for some nice ones. The owner is sometimes out of various models, but usually catches up with demand promptly.

http://flyingtpot.com/sidestands.htm
CaptMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #39
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
On my GS I made my own .

Mount plate was just a thick plate from the engine mount back to the footpeg - there is actually a space behind the pivot that the end the plate fitted neatly in, no need for a bolt .

Then I visited a wrecker and had them cut me a stand off one on the mountain of old frames at the back of the yard, and this was butchered a bit and welded to the fixing plate.

I added a adjustable foot like Migsels, and wired a stop switch into the neutral switch line so I can start the motor in neutral with the stand down, but it cuts out if I put it in gear.

Cost was less than $40- for parts plus a six pack for the welder.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:59 AM   #40
ianboydsnr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMako View Post
Here is a link for some nice ones. The owner is sometimes out of various models, but usually catches up with demand promptly.

http://flyingtpot.com/sidestands.htm
I looked at them, but it would be to expensive to buy as I would need 2 for the gs's and difficult because he will ship anywhere in the world apart from England, and I live in the English Lake District,

All the centre stands on those bikes seem to park higher than my centre stand, strangely so, mine is a recent replacement, but the old original one was exactly the same,

Anyhow I made mine out of stainless, made 2 stands and have the material left to make a stand for my Le Mans project, and my RT project, and all for less than 200bucks, though I can understand the cost as there is a hell of a lot of time in making them,

However there is much more satisfaction, and now they are polished, there's no need to paint
ianboydsnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:20 AM   #41
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,728
I found a bent old Brown for $40, and adapted it to my 80ST (pretty much same as the G/S)... could not deal with the self-retract of the factory stand. I am short inseamed, and this modification is perfect. I can now come to a stop, put down the Brown with my left left, then lean on it to dismount. Perfect!

I had to do some minor mods like grinding the mount plate to miss the exhaust, and used a spacer with a heavy-duty exhaust clamp to mount it behind the motor mount.

I used it straight for a while, but didn't like the lean angle, so I bent it downwards, and have been quite happy with the results!

Old 10-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #42
Darryl's bmw
Darby

Oddometer: 153
I bought a Flying Teapot Sidestand for my 1993 R100GS

It works very well.

http://www.flyingtpot.com/sidestands.htm
Darryl's bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #43
BMWrider79
Me

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughReady View Post
able to locate is this one: http://www.boxxerparts.de/xtcshop/pr...-R-80-G-S.html
Has anybody out there bought this one and, if so, please give me your opinion on this stand. They are pricey (roughly $230 or so including shipping) so I would really need some input prior to getting one.

I've got one of those on my R80ST. Siebenrock in Germany had the supplier make a slightly shorter one for me. It works great and looks nice as well.
BMWrider79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #44
elmontanero
Practicing...

Oddometer: 1,739
I'll delete this as to not muddy the thread... but seems like the right place to ask as most of you are done with the old and in with the new.
I"m looking for the stock bits for my sidestand because I'd like to try the standard for a while.

15 PIN (from 05/81)
17 LOCK RING - 14X1 2 of them!
18 BUSH (to 05/81)
19 TENSION SPRING
20 BRACKET
LOOKing for pin, bushing, bracket, springs... everything short of the sidestand.
Thanks!