ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
JimC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Delorme PN-60!!!

Here is something that should get everyone excited!

Delorme PN60 With Spot

Kudos to Delorme for what could be a great new GPS!

Jim in Sacramento
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC

Delorme PN60 With Spot

Jim in Sacramento
Gotta say, Delorme would not be my first choice for a GPS, SPoT or no SPoT.

Besides, I don't mind having many gadgets - that way when one fails, they haven't all failed... pretty much the reason I won't pin my hopes on an iPhone as a gps solution as well.

Convergence is nice, but not in these matters.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
Gotta say, Delorme would not be my first choice for a GPS, SPoT or no SPoT.
I sure like my Delorme paper maps. I’d be interested in a Zumo style GPS from them
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:59 AM   #4
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC

Delorme PN60 With Spot

Jim in Sacramento
Quote:
Lets back up a bit first though. As you can see from the image above, these are two separate units. We’ve been told that the devices will connect using a yet to be disclosed wireless protocol (hence the “w” in the model name). It’s described as having an ultra-low power draw and a range of over half a mile in recent tests.

But get this…DeLorme plans to release a firmware update in the fall that will allow communication between PN-60w devices, allowing users to see each other on the map, send text messages, and share waypoints, tracks, and routes. This is a very interesting combination that goes beyond what Garmin’s Rino series offers. With the PN-60w, if you get out of range, you can use satellite based communication to compose and send text messages to predetermined individuals or groups.

Speaking of which, according to the news release, messages can also be shared with social networking sites like SPOTadventures.com, Geocaching.com, Twitter, and Facebook.
Some interesting potential. At this point it seems like it's in beta at best. Hope it makes it to market so we can see some real world testing.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,343

Since my PN40 has been the best GPS I have owned and proven to be very durable and has the best Maps, This new one WILL BE on my handle bars , this is great, Finding my buddies and able to send text long distances will make the adventure even better not having to worry about my buds

Delorme has really stepped up to provide a great tool for riding off-road
'gpx' tracks on the SD card YEAH, able to load them at any time without a PC Double YEAH!,
Cant wait

rwamf homepage

rwamf screwed with this post 01-06-2010 at 12:01 PM
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,943
Where are you getting these pictures from?
Are there any technical details available yet, like screen size, memory, etc?

Opps, just found them and more in the Delorme blog:
http://blog.delorme.com/2010/01/06/d...communication/
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,706
Delorme PN-60W with SPOT

I have been looking at getting a SPOT for piece of mind when I head out to some of the remote places I like to ride. I also have been looking for a new GPS to replace the Garmin Vista I usually have RAM mounted to my handlebars. I noticed that Delorme is soon to release their PN-60 model with a wireless SPOT receiver. It looks a bit pricey but that does not bother me so much.

http://www.gpscity.com/delorme-earth...-receiver.html

I'm especially liking that you can customize the messages (compose them from the GPS) you want to send out instead of the pre-formatted ones like a regular SPOT unit. I know this unit is not out yet so I'm not looking for info specific to this model but more like how Delorme compares to other brands.

I've only used Garmin GPSs with MapSource/Google Earth, and sparingly at that, so I am not familiar at all with the Delorme hardware or software. I have been reading the PN40 thread and I am worried about the learning curve associated with Topo 9.0 as well as an apparent lack of downloadable content for use in Canada. From what I have read, the Delorme software is very good once you learn to use it but I'm questioning the need for my purposes.

Basically I just want a robust GPS that I can mount to my bike and be able to save and share my tracks/routes with my friends who might have different makes of GPS. Are the Delorme units stout enough for hard enduro riding? This would be on a KTM 525EXC that is ridden mostly hard and fast off-road with a lot of bouncing around and vibration. I have used a Garmin 60 before and it is a pretty tough unit. How does the Delorme PN series hold up in this kind of environment?

One of my ridding buddies has a SPOT 1 so I thought it might be nice to have it semi-integrated with a GPS. Do you guys see any disadvantages that I might be overlooking?

TIA.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Have you gone to the Delorme home page and from there into the Delorme blogs? They have a whole section on the PN-60w. Lots of good info there.

What content is missing for Canada? I'm given to understand there is complete 50K routable topo coverage available. They have the map subscription service available for $29/year which includes aerial shots and there will be 30 cm aerial shots available for a little more.

The only downside is that they have apparently moved the availability date to june 1 instead of sometime in May.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:39 AM   #9
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,149
Delorme..

J've been using a PN20 (RAM handle bar) for about 2 years on my dual sport bikes. Moab, CDT, Enduro and a lot of banging around. Broke the frame on my bike and kickstand off my other bike--had the 20 on all and it has performed flawlessly--I'm guessing around 15K mostly offroad miles. I don't consider the CDT rough riding but the 20 had continuous used for 14 days. I love the unit but HATE the software--not intuitive or I'm just slow--could be the latter. I'm looking at this unit since I've been thru 3, yes 3, SPOT 1's in the same riding and the same time frame. All have failed in the track mode--just stopped sending the track signal--would still send the OK but would not stay in the tracking mode. I'm hoping that the Delorme quality may solve my problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK
I have been looking at getting a SPOT for piece of mind when I head out to some of the remote places I like to ride. I also have been looking for a new GPS to replace the Garmin Vista I usually have RAM mounted to my handlebars. I noticed that Delorme is soon to release their PN-60 model with a wireless SPOT receiver. It looks a bit pricey but that does not bother me so much.

http://www.gpscity.com/delorme-earth...-receiver.html

I'm especially liking that you can customize the messages (compose them from the GPS) you want to send out instead of the pre-formatted ones like a regular SPOT unit. I know this unit is not out yet so I'm not looking for info specific to this model but more like how Delorme compares to other brands.

I've only used Garmin GPSs with MapSource/Google Earth, and sparingly at that, so I am not familiar at all with the Delorme hardware or software. I have been reading the PN40 thread and I am worried about the learning curve associated with Topo 9.0 as well as an apparent lack of downloadable content for use in Canada. From what I have read, the Delorme software is very good once you learn to use it but I'm questioning the need for my purposes.

Basically I just want a robust GPS that I can mount to my bike and be able to save and share my tracks/routes with my friends who might have different makes of GPS. Are the Delorme units stout enough for hard enduro riding? This would be on a KTM 525EXC that is ridden mostly hard and fast off-road with a lot of bouncing around and vibration. I have used a Garmin 60 before and it is a pretty tough unit. How does the Delorme PN series hold up in this kind of environment?

One of my ridding buddies has a SPOT 1 so I thought it might be nice to have it semi-integrated with a GPS. Do you guys see any disadvantages that I might be overlooking?

TIA.

Sean
AKASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:54 AM   #10
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon
Have you gone to the Delorme home page and from there into the Delorme blogs? They have a whole section on the PN-60w. Lots of good info there.

What content is missing for Canada? I'm given to understand there is complete 50K routable topo coverage available. They have the map subscription service available for $29/year which includes aerial shots and there will be 30 cm aerial shots available for a little more.

The only downside is that they have apparently moved the availability date to june 1 instead of sometime in May.
Thanks Jack, I'm going to check out those blogs.

As for the content, I have never seen the Delorme software or their map subs so I'm going on info that might be outdated. JimC posted this in the PN40 thread and I have read elsewhere that there wasn't much available for anywhere outside the US. Maybe that has changed in the last couple years?

Sean

Old 03-08-2010, 05:15 AM   #11
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY
J've been using a PN20 (RAM handle bar) for about 2 years on my dual sport bikes. Moab, CDT, Enduro and a lot of banging around. Broke the frame on my bike and kickstand off my other bike--had the 20 on all and it has performed flawlessly--I'm guessing around 15K mostly offroad miles. I don't consider the CDT rough riding but the 20 had continuous used for 14 days. I love the unit but HATE the software--not intuitive or I'm just slow--could be the latter. I'm looking at this unit since I've been thru 3, yes 3, SPOT 1's in the same riding and the same time frame. All have failed in the track mode--just stopped sending the track signal--would still send the OK but would not stay in the tracking mode. I'm hoping that the Delorme quality may solve my problems.
Thanks for the info. I hope you're holding up just as well.
BTW, were your SPOTs replaced under warranty? Did they ever give you an explanation of what failed?

Sean

Old 03-08-2010, 05:17 AM   #12
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Link to the Delorme Q&A on the PN-60W.

Sean

Old 03-08-2010, 05:37 AM   #13
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Most of my questions answered in Earthmate GPS PN-60/60W forum.

Looks like us Canadians are not SOL for downloadable maps and such.

Sean

Old 03-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #14
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,149
Spot

Bought my Spot at---ok hold the flames I've heard in these forums they don't support offroad--REI. Never an issue on return for failure. Each one lasted about 8 months all I did was take it back when it failed. They refunded my money and sold me a new unit--with new warranty-- starting the day I bought the new one. Best return and customer service I've EVER encountered. I will buy all my electronic offroad equipment from them if they sell it. Price is not always the key. They just took my last one back for the same failure--they do not have the new one in stock. I'm on hold now without one and I think I will wait until the 60w is available before making a move. OBTW called Spot explained the failure and return--pointed out I could not buy a new one from REI, they refunded my full yearly fee which I had just paid in Jan 2010--I've heard a lot about not being able to get Spot on the phone but I've never had a problem and they have always been helpful--like when I lost it on an Enduro and had to suspend service. Don't ask--I watch it start to move on the Spot shared page when I got home, it went to a house--called the Enduro organizers and one of their sweeps had found it--got it back about a week later! Yep he got a reward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK
Thanks for the info. I hope you're holding up just as well.
BTW, were your SPOTs replaced under warranty? Did they ever give you an explanation of what failed?

Sean

AKASY screwed with this post 03-08-2010 at 07:30 AM
AKASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:39 AM   #15
mhumphrey
BMW 2009 R1200GS

Oddometer: 145
PN-60 not coming until June?

I noticed the availability date for the PN-60 on Amazon.com now shows as June (previously this was May).
mhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote