ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 110 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
shikataganai OP
moof

Oddometer: 348
iPhone GPS navigation app with GPX importation?

I've figured out how to make tracks on my iPhone using MotionX GPS and send them to the computer, and even how to import and display computer-made tracks on the iPhone, but what I haven't found is an iPhone application that will create turn by turn driving/riding directions from an imported GPX route. Does such a beast exist?

For reference purposes here's how to use MotionX GPS (full version, the LTE/free version can't import GPX files) to import a route from Google Maps via a GPX track.

Step 1: Create your route in Google Maps.

Step 2: Use the GMapToGPX bookmarklet to generate a GPX file from this Google Maps route. Note that the route is plotted out using "routepoints," not "waypoints" or "trackpoints," a technical distinction only important because MotionX GPS doesn't support routepoints. Save this GPX file to your computer.

Step 3: Convert the GPX file to… a GPX file. Confused? We need to convert the routepoints to waypoints, and converting the file to the nominally same type using GPS Visualizer does exactly this. Save this resulting, second, GPX file to your computer.

Step 4: Email this second GPX file to the MotionX GPS conversionbot at GPSinfo@motionx.com. The daemon will in turn convert the GPX file into a format parseable by MotionX GPS and will reply with an email. Click the link in the email, finally, and the MotionX GPS application should open then prompt you to import the track.

After the above steps we now have a track in MotionX GPS and can display it on pretty maps, zoom about, etc. Unfortunately, what we can't do is generate turn by turn directions from this track, which is exactly what we wish to do. So close yet so far…
shikataganai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
shikataganai OP
moof

Of the existing turn-by-turn apps it looks like Navigon is the winner for my purposes, for several reasons:

1) It offers a Scenic route choice, although I'm not entirely sure what this entails.
2) It offers a Motorcycle speed choice (in addition to walking, driving, etc.) that supposedly leads to windier roads being picked.
3) Routes and waypoints can be loaded and unloaded within the app, even though I still haven't found if they can be exported and imported from the computer in GPX format.

Cliffs Notes: RAM mount + Aqua Box medium + Navigon app + iPhone 3G or 3GS should do the trick quite nicely.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikataganai
Cliffs Notes: RAM mount + Aqua Box medium + Navigon app + iPhone 3G or 3GS should do the trick quite nicely.
Note, the iFone touch screen will not work through the Aquabox rubber cover.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,648
Navigon is great app for the road, I don't even use my 376c in truck anymore.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig
Note, the iFone touch screen will not work through the Aquabox rubber cover.
Yes it does, as long as you don't have gloves on.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #6
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
Yes it does, as long as you don't have gloves on.
So you have one then?

Odd. RAM tells you it does NOT work through the screen with the iPod/iPhone (see the notes):
http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

Most reviews I have read state it does NOT work through the screen.
It does work with resistive screen PDAs.
But then I found the issue of the sun's heat being trapped in the box and cooking the device.

I use one of these guys most of the time, unless the weather is bad.
http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx
Old 01-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #7
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Yes I do have one and touching the screen does work but sliding your finger on it does not. I have mine plugged into the bike and leave the autolock off so I don't need to slide to turn it on. Works great for making calls and playing music.

I also have the Otterbox Armor case which works just like touching the screen but you cannot use a charger with it.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
shikataganai OP
moof

Navigon's Route mode actually seems to be pretty good for what riders, at least on-road riders, want to do. Route mode lets one specify an arbitrary number of waypoints along one's desired path of travel, and then allows these strings of waypoints, Routes, to be saved, restored, and re-edited at will from the application's memory (but not exported or imported as GPX :sadbanana: ).

Here's an example Route heading up to Bear Mountain. First I defined a bunch of locations in Favorites (the depicted ones are actually for the North Shore):

Next I created a Route that hits up the high points along the route without going in to excrutiating, nit-picking detail (i.e., 6 defined points over ~200 miles in this case, including one point that i included twice 'cause I'm dumb):

Now the Route is calculated using curvy roads if possible (note the motorcyclist icon at the left ana: ), with the final product at right:

Old 01-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
shikataganai OP
moof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
Yes I do have one and touching the screen does work but sliding your finger on it does not. I have mine plugged into the bike and leave the autolock off so I don't need to slide to turn it on. Works great for making calls and playing music.

I also have the Otterbox Armor case which works just like touching the screen but you cannot use a charger with it.

Do you use the Otterbox Armor case on the bike? How do you mount it? RAM mount? Part # by any chance?
Old 01-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Yes, I use a Ram system with this adhesive ball mount on the back of the case. RAP-273U

The Armor case was made for the 1st generation iPhone, I did have to do a minor bit of trimming with a dremel tool to fit the 3Gs. It has also been discontinued but there are still new ones on eBay and Amazon for pretty cheap.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #11
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
I've been using Navigon for a while and just stumbled across this thread. I've been wanting a GPS for my bike that'll handle gpx files and have been drooling over the Garmin 60Cx/60Csx/62s models. This just might save me some money. Thanks!

I did buy the GPSed app quite a while ago, but haven't really used it. According to the documentation, it'll import gpx files as well. I'm going to tinker!

The only thing I'm unsure about is how to get the maps saved locally.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #12
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

FYI, the gpx conversion email address for MotionX is gpsimport@motionx.com.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #13
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

Hopefully I got this local maps thing figured out. I'm downloading it now. I'm not sure what good zoom level options are, though.

EDIT: I think I'm all set!

I'll try it out just by carrying my phone in a pocket and checking it on the ride. If it works out pretty well, I might spring for a mount for my bike, rather than buying a real GPS unit. I know it won't really compare to a real GPS unit, but it's probably close enough for me.

jtemple screwed with this post 08-21-2010 at 09:17 AM
Old 12-31-2012, 04:50 AM   #14
mbishara
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikataganai View Post
I've figured out how to make tracks on my iPhone using MotionX GPS and send them to the computer, and even how to import and display computer-made tracks on the iPhone, but what I haven't found is an iPhone application that will create turn by turn driving/riding directions from an imported GPX route. Does such a beast exist?

For reference purposes here's how to use MotionX GPS (full version, the LTE/free version can't import GPX files) to import a route from Google Maps via a GPX track.

Step 1: Create your route in Google Maps.

Step 2: Use the GMapToGPX bookmarklet to generate a GPX file from this Google Maps route. Note that the route is plotted out using "routepoints," not "waypoints" or "trackpoints," a technical distinction only important because MotionX GPS doesn't support routepoints. Save this GPX file to your computer.

Step 3: Convert the GPX file to… a GPX file. Confused? We need to convert the routepoints to waypoints, and converting the file to the nominally same type using GPS Visualizer does exactly this. Save this resulting, second, GPX file to your computer.

Step 4: Email this second GPX file to the MotionX GPS conversionbot at GPSinfo@motionx.com. The daemon will in turn convert the GPX file into a format parseable by MotionX GPS and will reply with an email. Click the link in the email, finally, and the MotionX GPS application should open then prompt you to import the track.

After the above steps we now have a track in MotionX GPS and can display it on pretty maps, zoom about, etc. Unfortunately, what we can't do is generate turn by turn directions from this track, which is exactly what we wish to do. So close yet so far…
Hope this helps. This is the Motion-X support's response to my question and it works!:

So I also purchased the Navigon app it seems to be a very good one. Weird how I decided to purchase Navigon when I already have Tom Tom and the Motion-X and Motion-Drive. But the Navgon seems like a very good GPS and it's not about the money for the apps or the stand alone GPS. It's about the functionality that I want when I'm riding.

That being said here is what Motion-X Support told me yesterday and it works:

Yes, you can navigate to a MotionX-GPS waypoint using GPS Drive. To do so, please launch MotionX-GPS and select Menu >> Waypoints >> All Waypoints >> choose the one you'd like to navigate to >> Options >> Open MotionX GPS Drive. Let me know if you run into any trouble.

You can navigate to multiple stops (waypoints) using GPS Drive. To setup a multi-stop route, please use the following steps:

1. Start navigating to a destination by going to its address detail page and selecting the green Navigate button.
2. Without stopping navigation, choose another destination (or import one from MotionX-GPS), again by going to its address detail page and selecting the green Navigate button.
3. You will be asked if you want to add a stop or clear the route. Choose "Add Stop."
4. You can add up to 9 stops to the route, for a total of 10 destinations.

Please note, the first destination you add, will always be the final destination. Stops should be added after the destination. Let me know if you experience any issues with this and I'd be happy to help.

So I tried it and it really does work very well exactly as stated. But it gets annoying adding each way point one at a time and I liked the Navigon interface.

Now apart from Navigon working well with Greatest streets from the iPHONE can it import GPX files as well? Or do I have top go to GOogle to map my route and from Google somehow import to Navigon?

I chose Navigon over Motion-X because of their really good 3d Display and traffic re-routing feature but I posted the Motion-X solution for every one else's benefit.
mbishara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #15
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbishara View Post
Hope this helps. This is the Motion-X support's response to my question and it works!:

So I also purchased the Navigon app it seems to be a very good one. Weird how I decided to purchase Navigon when I already have Tom Tom and the Motion-X and Motion-Drive. But the Navgon seems like a very good GPS and it's not about the money for the apps or the stand alone GPS. It's about the functionality that I want when I'm riding.

That being said here is what Motion-X Support told me yesterday and it works:

Yes, you can navigate to a MotionX-GPS waypoint using GPS Drive. To do so, please launch MotionX-GPS and select Menu >> Waypoints >> All Waypoints >> choose the one you'd like to navigate to >> Options >> Open MotionX GPS Drive. Let me know if you run into any trouble.

You can navigate to multiple stops (waypoints) using GPS Drive. To setup a multi-stop route, please use the following steps:

1. Start navigating to a destination by going to its address detail page and selecting the green Navigate button.
2. Without stopping navigation, choose another destination (or import one from MotionX-GPS), again by going to its address detail page and selecting the green Navigate button.
3. You will be asked if you want to add a stop or clear the route. Choose "Add Stop."
4. You can add up to 9 stops to the route, for a total of 10 destinations.

Please note, the first destination you add, will always be the final destination. Stops should be added after the destination. Let me know if you experience any issues with this and I'd be happy to help.

So I tried it and it really does work very well exactly as stated. But it gets annoying adding each way point one at a time and I liked the Navigon interface.

Now apart from Navigon working well with Greatest streets from the iPHONE can it import GPX files as well? Or do I have top go to GOogle to map my route and from Google somehow import to Navigon?

I chose Navigon over Motion-X because of their really good 3d Display and traffic re-routing feature but I posted the Motion-X solution for every one else's benefit.
Even though it takes a while to enter a route this way the biggest problem is the 9 stop limit.

I had been in contact with them regarding gpx import into GPS drive and their response was that it's too hard to do because of one way streets, no right//left turn intersections etc. Hence a liability issue. If you use OSM and compare it to city nav that is the one big difference, city nav knows these and calculates routes based upon then and most of the time OSM doesn't. About 100 yards from my house is a no left turn intersection and OSM will route me taking a left there and city nav will have me go a block south to make the left where it's legal to do so.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote