User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
RideMX951 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Best 50/50 Dual Sport Tire

Riding a KTM 450 EXC and going through tires quickly.

I am open to any suggestions/recommendations on the best set up for true dual sport tires, and they gotta be DOT.

I have run the Pirelli's, D 606's and the Motoz. By far the Motoz win, but they don't have DOT, and out here in Riverside County it is very important to have DOT.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Bikes:
2008 KTM 450 EXC
2009 Kawi 250F
1990 XR 100 (The Little Mule)
1988 CR 125 (On it's last leg...but immaculate)

got the connect at....ibuymx.com....if anyone needs anything
RideMX951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
ineptizoid
they all do that

Oddometer: 5,330
What kinda life are you getting out of 606s/MT21s? When you say a "true dual sport tire," I start thinking about a tire with a much less aggressive tread pattern than what you've been running. Something like a MEFO Explorer, which is a great (though spendy) 50/50-type tire that is known for durability. But it ain't gonna hook up like a D606 or MT21 offroad. Considering the bike you're riding, it sounds like you're looking for an offroad-oriented DOT tire (like, say, 80/20) that lasts a long time (like 4K miles on the rear). And I've been looking for the same thing for the last several years. I don't think the critter exists, but I'll keep looking.

Kenda Trakmasters last about as long as MT-21s, cost a whole lot less, and hook up about as well as any other DOT knob out there IMO. I've shredded a rear in ~2K miles but then I'm kinda rough on tires. Maxxis 6006s and Bridgestone "Deathwings" last me about 3K on the rear but don't hook up nearly as well offroad. The Kenda 270 seems to be about the best compromise for me so far, (at least on the rear) but it ain't what you'd call a DOT knob by any stretch. It seems there's no way around the fact that tire life is reduced in direct proportion to how well the tire works offroad. Must be one of those Laws of the Universe or something.

Have you given the Dunlop 908RR a look? I know a rider that uses them on a KTM990 and claims to get decent life (4K miles) out of them, they're pretty gnarly for a DOT tire...

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,795
IRC GP 110's are my favorite. Not a lot of miles out of a rear though. 3k maybe.

Avon distansia's last a lot longer, but are a better 70/30 tire.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
LongCliff
Bagger

Oddometer: 518
Would Michelin T63's fit your bike? I have over 5,000 miles on mine, but of course my XT225 is not a 450 ktm.
LongCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Flatulator
Banned

Oddometer: 733
I got surprisingly high mileage out of a set of (DOT) Maxxis 6006's on a DR650 .... 5000 miles ... (worn almost to the cord - on the rear)

('high mileage' for what looks like a full knobby)

front and rear wear at the "the same" rate .. (gone at the same time)

I babied the bike for the my first 1000 miles (on it - with new 6006's) while I got used to the bike and tires and fixed minor stuff ... then I hammered it for the next 4000

The rear will slide during hard pavement cornering first ... the front will never slide ... it always sticks (must be a fair amount softer than the R).

... but the pavement cornering limit is surprisingly high (considering they look like full knobs) ... higher than Kenda 270's ... and overall more predictable (than 270's)

... one shortfall > ... the rear might be the slipperiest DOT tire I have ridden .. ON WET PAVEMENT ...

on dirt ? ... 's OK ? ...
Flatulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Look at a Shinko 244. I haven't tried one yet but want to. There is a huge thread on the Klr Forum about it with very few complaints.

Many like the Kenda 270. Scared the piss out of me on pavement and i usually run knobbies.
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
dukedinner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
I am using the T63's to replace the Maxxis D6006. The tread pattern is similar to the Continental tires, but at half the price...

dukedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
Look at a Shinko 244. I haven't tried one yet but want to. There is a huge thread on the Klr Forum about it with very few complaints.

Many like the Kenda 270. Scared the piss out of me on pavement and i usually run knobbies.
I have tried both tires to see what were the difference. I ran both these tire with a 606 on the front. Stay away from the 270. It lays over on the side noobs for the first 1000 miles. After it wears in it does not a much. It is no good on wet surface. It slid out from under me during a surprise rain in June. I got rid of it after that. It had about 3000 miles when I swapped it out. I figured it still had another 500 to 700 miles lift. The shinko 244 is almost the same design as the 270. But the noobs are a little shorter than the 270. So you do not get the laying over feeling as much in the turns. Also the rubber compound on the 244's are softer than the 270. It hooks up better on the dirt because of it. If I had to choose one from these two tires. I would go with the 244's. They are cheaper, last about 500 miles less than the 270. Hook up better on the dirt. Does not lay over as much as the 270. Works better in wet roads. Just get a good front tire which ever tire you choose. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,848
Kenda 270,
nothing else really especially for the price.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
carlitod
CalgaryRider

Oddometer: 8
Dual sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
Kenda 270,
nothing else really especially for the price.
bill
I've read a few reviews on the Pirelli Trials tire. Seems like it works good in most conditions except mud, and you can probably get better life compared to a knobby. It's only for rears, and you have to be careful with your air for highway use. Here's the link to an article:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/392/19...re-Review.aspx
carlitod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:33 AM   #11
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,795
Thumb

I see the Michelin T63's are new. Just looking at the prices and they are pretty reasonable! I may try these next.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...c=2&zmap=19852

Where is the reviews on this tire? I'd like to see a pair on a bike.

If you want F'n cheap, try the Cheng Shin C858 tires. Under $50 bucks.

Dunlop D606's seem to be the most expensive. If they go 10k miles, they are probably worth it.

Maxxis C6006 tires are reasonably priced, but I heard they are hard to find.

D.T. screwed with this post 01-07-2010 at 04:51 AM
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
Blu_Vue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I have run the MEFO on a KLR for the last season and I probably wouldn't recommend them. The front was badly cupped after 4,500 mi and the rear was >170 delivered and might as well be a street tire when compared to something like the T63 or 606. I aired it down a little on a rough ride and managed to chunk one of the lugs
Old 01-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Vue
I have run the MEFO on a KLR for the last season and I probably wouldn't recommend them. The front was badly cupped after 4,500 mi and the rear was >170 delivered and might as well be a street tire when compared to something like the T63 or 606. I aired it down a little on a rough ride and managed to chunk one of the lugs
130-17" mefo prices have gotten way outta hand.
the best move is a $103 k60 rear (same pattern & mileage as mefo explorer)
coupled w/ tck-80 front
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
puttputtcharles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedinner
I am using the T63's to replace the Maxxis D6006. The tread pattern is similar to the Continental tires, but at half the price...

Sounds like a winner to me. What kind of life are you getting from a pair? Bike and ridding terrain?
puttputtcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #15
welder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
mitas e-09 I run one of these on the back of mf klr. cheap, durable, great traction.
Attached Images