Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
Sydney Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
F800GS: Then I wanted some driving lamps - VisionX

Howdy,

I spent a bit of time deciding on what to do about more light and finally settled on the VisionX 2" Solstice Solo Single lamps from http://visionxstore.com (using sales@visionxstore.com) and after some discussion I ordered a set (Spot and Elliptical) and a relay kit (dual connector).

When the gear arrived there was some confusion because I actually received a Spot and a Euro but a couple of emails to Darick and we agreed on a, very reasonable, compromise that saw an Elliptical being shipped the next day at an agreed price.

For me this makes two for two in the 'found good guys to deal with', both VisionX and Caribou Cases, so I was very happy with the results.

Then came the task of mounting the lamps.... the Solo model has a simple u-shaped bracket that has enough clearance to allow the headlight bolt to be used and the surrounding screen and body work will clear the bracket without issue.

So the first thing was undo the top and left side body work which exposed the battery, the front support frame and the radiator area.

I mounted the relay beside the 'insert name of BMW part here - don't care what it is', I put it here because it was away from too much heat, well it had a plastic shield between it and the radiator, and it was easy to get to. It also made it easy to get to the relay connectors.
Photobucket Photobucket.

Then I connected to the white wire in the headlight lead with the trigger lead to the relay and cable tied the two connectors into place at the same time.
Photobucket

After putting the headlight back in the cabling looks neat and tidy - yes I know there is a fuse out in the open and not water proof but I didn't have a waterproof fuse block available at the time (and more to come later about this). There is just enough wiring in the supplied loom to connect one lamp on either side of the headlight.
Photobucket
Photobucket

I brought the cabling down the left side and then behind the air intake.
Photobucket

Next was power, it was difficult to get a Can Bus power lead in time so straight to the battery I went.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Then it was a simple case of joining the three earths (each lamp + the relay) together and this is what connects to the battery.
Photobucket

The loose lead hanging down is the relay side of the high beam trigger and that connects to a switch that is cable tied (for now - until I can find a waterproof one I like) to the wiring loom.

And this is how it looks.
Photobucket

I have to get a photo of the lamp connections behind the screen but the connectors are well contained by the screen and don't bounce around when the bike is moving.

As for what it looks like when the lights are on... Low Beam,
Photobucket

High Beam,
Photobucket

High Beam and Solo lamps,

Photobucket

One of the reasons I wanted the lamps was not only for night time riding (which I do about 10% of the time I ride) but also as a way to let people know that I am there if needed so the speed that the lamps turn on was important and these turn on real fast - and are full brightness immediately. I don't have any experience with HIDs but the job these lamps do is exceptionally good for the price.

I have not had to ride at night yet but will be able to report next week after a 2000klm+ ride - but I am confident that what I have seen so far will impress me on the road.

The lamps draw just on 700ma each at normal F800GS voltages and are both wired to the High Beam... I decided to do it that way as there is a possible issue with the legality of a second continuous lamp (even an Elliptical) here in Australia but I plan to ask the local authority for an answer next week.

Costs.... easy, $119USD each for the lamps and about $30USD for the relay kit (yes I could have done it myself for cheaper but I was busy with other tasks).

And finally that exposed fuse block, on Saturday I rode to the top of a mountain and while I was there (with the bike parked on the side stand and nose done towards the bottom of the mountain) the heavens opened up and dumped a solid deluge on me for more than 25 minutes, I hid in a car, and then I rode down the mountain and into town where I spent another 20 minutes in another deluge while fighting through the traffic to go 8klm..... and the fuse didn't get wet even though I was sure that I saw a boat beside me in the other lane at one stage.

The fuse has to be fixed and the switch needs to be waterproof but for now it works just the way I want it to.

Tony
Sydney Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Thumb Light on!

Thanks for the post, Sydney Rider. I've been wondering about the Solos. Can't wait to get home where I can see the photos you posted.

FYI for Yanks - you can find these little buggers at the home of Jesse bags, www.xplorermoto.com.

Glad to hear you're getting some rain there. I was in Sydney in November and it was dusty and 41C.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
FYI for Yanks - you can find these little buggers at the home of Jesse bags, www.xplorermoto.com.
And now at Twisted Throttle (re-named as Denali).

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/artic...eview/312/1/9/
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
So I see that these Vision-X (or Denali) LED lights come with either a "Fog," "Spot," or "Euro" pattern. I can guess what the Spot and Fog patterns are. But what the heck is a "Euro" pattern? Does is come with wire-rimmed glasses and a black turtle-neck sweater?

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
Sydney Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
So I see that these Vision-X (or Denali) LED lights come with either a "Fog," "Spot," or "Euro" pattern. I can guess what the Spot and Fog patterns are. But what the heck is a "Euro" pattern? Does is come with wire-rimmed glasses and a black turtle-neck sweater?

David
The Euro is 'sort of' like a spot (tight/long beam) but less...... more like a broader spot with an increased light patch. I didn't like it because I thought is was a bit 'muddy' in that it seemed to simply drop the light onto the road in front where the existing lights already did a great job and so for me it didn't add much light.

The Spot is a true spot - quite a small light patch but carries a long way.

The Elliptical is a flat broad light that will light up a 15 degree arc left to right in front of you, but it doesn't throw far so it is more for lighting up the near ground at slower speeds in my opinion.

So I used the Elliptical on the left (verge) side and then the spot on the right (centre line) but that can be changed with only a little effort.

Naturally all this could change next week with some klms under the tires so anything is possible.

I will carry my Euro with me next week and swap them and take some photos to show what the results are.

Tony
Old 01-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
Sydney Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon
And now at Twisted Throttle (re-named as Denali).

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/artic...eview/312/1/9/
......... pricing will be a factor looking at the above link.

Tony
Old 01-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Wannabe2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Nice Write up Tony. Thanks for the good words, I'm glad we came to a reasonable agreement on the additional light.

Also want to mention coupon code "advr" for use on www.visionxstore.com
Old 01-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
Sydney Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I took some shots of the lamps as they attach to the headlight.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tony
Old 01-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
Sydney Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Finally here are some shots of the lamp patterns and throw.

This is the Spot pointed at a close wall.
Photobucket

This is the Euro pointed at a close wall.
Photobucket

I don't have a shot of the Elliptical yet...

This is what the Spot looks like when pointed at a wall about 60m away with a fair amount of ambient light.
Photobucket

This is what the Euro looks like in the same conditions.
Photobucket

The Elliptical shots will be posted later.

Tony
Old 01-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Rider
The Euro is 'sort of' like a spot (tight/long beam) but less...... more like a broader spot with an increased light patch. I didn't like it because I thought is was a bit 'muddy' in that it seemed to simply drop the light onto the road in front where the existing lights already did a great job and so for me it didn't add much light.
Thanks Tony. These look like the ones to buy!

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:33 PM   #11
Yamezz
Suffers from MBS

Oddometer: 159
If you don't mind me asking, how much did freight cost to send 2 lights and the harness to Oz?
Yamezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:41 AM   #12
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
I like to see this type of review. I am still at a toss up as to which ones to order for my GSXR.
I will be mounting them under the mirrors. I want to keep them high for conspicuity and to see over road undulations and obstacles. I want lots of throw int he distance, but would also like a little spread for seeing deer etc at road's edge.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:13 AM   #13
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,490
Life expectancy: 50,000 hours.....that's almost 6 years of run time.
Impressive, as it the very low current draw.

But you'd have to mount four of them to get the light of one HID...that'll get expensive.

I really like the write-up, good job. But I think I want HIDs, even if they take a second to warm up.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:43 AM   #14
Sydney Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
Glad to hear you're getting some rain there. I was in Sydney in November and it was dusty and 41C.
We are having some truly 'idiotic' weather..... torrential rain in a few days (123mm) where they had 77mm for the whole of last year and extreme temperatures where it's normally very pleasant.

Today, while riding out to the west of Sydney, it was 40c in cloudy conditions.

Tony

Sydney Rider screwed with this post 01-09-2010 at 05:57 AM
Old 01-09-2010, 05:46 AM   #15
Sydney Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamezz
If you don't mind me asking, how much did freight cost to send 2 lights and the harness to Oz?
The two lamps and the dual relay kit was 310USD - 335AUD so 119USD + 119USD + 30USD = 268USD leaving 42USD.

Tony