User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
3rdGear OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
F800: Front Sprocket Torque Settings

Just swapped out my front sprocket on my F800 for 15T. Only one problem, I don't now the proper torque setting. If you happen to know what it is, please let me know.

Thanks!
3rdGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
CSL3
Claude the Adventurer :)

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGear
Just swapped out my front sprocket on my F800 for 15T. Only one problem, I don't now the proper torque setting. If you happen to know what it is, please let me know.

Thanks!
Tightening torques
Pinion to gearbox output shaft

M10 x 1.5 x 35, 50 Nm (37 ft/lb)
Loctite 243, Thread-locking compound, Medium strength

/C
Old 01-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
3rdGear OP
Adventurer

Thanks! Just returned from a 200 mile ride, mostly dirt. The new sprocket helped.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Goodwill2010
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Looking for for front sprocket for f800

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGear
Thanks! Just returned from a 200 mile ride, mostly dirt. The new sprocket helped.
Hi there,

went to BMW and they have no listing for a f800 front sprocket, can you tell me what model you got and from where? Many thanks,

Goodwill
Goodwill2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwill2010
Hi there,

went to BMW and they have no listing for a f800 front sprocket, can you tell me what model you got and from where? Many thanks,

Goodwill
Renthal and Touratech do them.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
3rdGear OP
Adventurer

Here is the one I used.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...800GS_15_teeth
Old 06-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 699
Does the 15T Sprocket Make A Noticable Difference?

3rdGear,

I'm seriously considering buying a new F800GS and took a test ride on the street last week. The bike felt great on the road, but didn't seem happy below about 20mph in first gear. I ride a lot of tight singletrack, and I'm wondering if I'd be constantly on the clutch, even with the 15 tooth sprocket. Any thoughts?
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemauto
3rdGear,

I'm seriously considering buying a new F800GS and took a test ride on the street last week. The bike felt great on the road, but didn't seem happy below about 20mph in first gear. I ride a lot of tight singletrack, and I'm wondering if I'd be constantly on the clutch, even with the 15 tooth sprocket. Any thoughts?
I went to 15t front sprocket and 45t rear. Solved the low speed problem. Took the range out of 3rd and 4th and put it in 5th but I'll trade that any day to have the low speed control.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 06-04-2010, 05:46 AM   #9
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Wildman,

Thanks, that is good to know. I was thinking during the test ride that I would gladly trade 6th gear for a "granny" 1st. How slow can you ride without bogging with the 15 t / 45 t combination?

Thanks,

Chemauto
Old 06-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,374
Quote:
3rdGear,

It will be an issue. At idle in first gear, with stock running gear, I am moving at 8mph. Even on doubletrack roads, negotiating sharp rocky uphill switchbacks can require feathering the clutch. A 15 tooth counter sprocket certainly helps, but then you are taking away from the top end to get to where you are going. The 800 gs has the same trans ratio's as the 800 street bike and definitely could use a trans with a wider ratio.

I know people will argue differently or that the bike is not designed for that. The bike certainly will easily do highway speeds with the shorter gearing but then you are getting into the vibration range and at low speeds
throttle control issues get magnified.

I am glad I kept my thumper.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #11
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Wildman,

Thanks, that is good to know. I was thinking during the test ride that I would gladly trade 6th gear for a "granny" 1st. How slow can you ride without bogging with the 15 t / 45 t combination?

Thanks,

Chemauto
Haven't measured (and I'm too busy to ride for a few weeks ) but slow enough not to be a problem. It's true you have to be smooth, quick away from the lights involves a very quick step through the gears and the vibes and fuel consumption you had at 70mph are now at 60mph. It's always a compromise but I'm very happy with the 15t/45t sprockets for now.

Edit: check this out.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #12
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Haven't measured (and I'm too busy to ride for a few weeks ) but slow enough not to be a problem. It's true you have to be smooth, quick away from the lights involves a very quick step through the gears and the vibes and fuel consumption you had at 70mph are now at 60mph. It's always a compromise but I'm very happy with the 15t/45t sprockets for now.

Edit: check this out.
Wildman,

Thank you for the link, read the entire thread and it was just what I was looking for. My current bike is an XT225, so I don't think street performance with the 15t/45t sprockets will be an issue .

Well, it looks like my last concern with the F8 has been resolved; that new orange 2010 at my local dealership may wind up in my driveway this weekend!

Thanks,

Chemauto
Old 06-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #13
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647
Sprocket

Have the 15 tooth on now and it helps. I don't mind slipping the clutch on "wet" bike. Easy to replace as well. The more I get used to the bike the less I'm slipping it anyways.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote