User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,466
Is my light on? - Okies in Taylor Park, CO

A couple of us OK inmates trucked up to Taylor Park, CO over the Labor Day weekend for some epic trail riding. Here are our pics, vids, and lies.

Key players:
Dirt2007 - 950SE
Newner - 520EXC
RedDirtJoe - WR290R
DirtyDog - KDX220R

Stay tuned.

DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,151
Tuned in, go KDX
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Three of us loaded the truck and gypsy caravan for a 3am departure from Tulsa, OK.

We met the veteran racer and MSF instructor, RedDirtJoe in Perry, OK and loaded his bike and gear before blasting across the OK panhandle into NM and eventually, CO.

We braved Cottonwood Pass in the towing rig and reached the Taylor Park valley with plenty of time to find a backcountry camp for the weekend. We found a suitable site on Pieplant Road with lots of available combustibles and a freshly dug fire pit.

We had plans to share camp with some other ADV rabble arriving later, so we made the base camp properly identifiable. We often saw ohv/bike riders stop and read our flag, but few dared enter.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Equipped with the gigantic map below of various ridden and unridden tracks of the area, we had a full plate of 4 riding days ahead of us starting Friday morning. Our camp was at the red dot.

As far as I can recall, here's a list of what we rode (collectively). I'll update this as I'm corrected by my riding buddies.

Passes-
Hancock
Pearl
Tincup
Cumberland
Taylor
Schofield

Singletrack-
Flag Creek
Double Top
Doctor Park
Matchless
Star Trail
Deadman Gulch

Trails / Other Routes / Destinations-
Slaughterhouse
Alpine Tunnel (dead end)
West Branch Creek
Gunsite
St. Elmo
Pitkin
Crested Butte

I recorded about 5 hrs of helmet cam footage and Newner has several hours as well. We're filtering through the epicness as we speak. RDJ took a shitload of still images with a fancy cam. Dirt2007 posed a lot.

DirtyDog screwed with this post 09-07-2014 at 07:18 PM
Old 09-08-2014, 05:28 AM   #5
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
You guys were camped near the north end of Timberline and didn't even ride it? At least it wasn't on your list anyway. You guys did pack a lot of riding into the 4 days tho. Our group was there the first 2 weeks of August but we stayed at the Dream Ranch RV park
just above the Trading Post. I didn't get to ride due to recovering from a crushed L1 vert.

So lets see more pics and vids please................
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:48 AM   #6
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,536
Can't a guy get some help with his video Camera?

Old 09-08-2014, 06:01 AM   #7
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodzrider View Post
You guys were camped near the north end of Timberline and didn't even ride it? At least it wasn't on your list anyway. You guys did pack a lot of riding into the 4 days tho. Our group was there the first 2 weeks of August but we stayed at the Dream Ranch RV park
just above the Trading Post. I didn't get to ride due to recovering from a crushed L1 vert.

So lets see more pics and vids please................
Honestly, you're right. The list is long. We passed the Star trailhead almost immediately on day 1 and I decided it was a MUST. We managed to save it for the last day and had a tentative plan to do Star and maybe Timberline afterwards. We were so bushed by the end of the relentless Star Trail, that we decided to sit at camp and drink beer instead. I fell asleep in my chair.

According to the local reputation of Timberline Trail, we might not have fared too well doing it after the Star Trail.

For those of you seriously into this relentless, hardcore stuff, I have an entire video of the Star Trail I'll post later. It took us a couple hours, but I trimmed out all the heavy breathing breaks and stitched together about a 50 min video. I'll make a shorter highlight reel for those of you not interested in the full thing.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #8
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Star Trail=torture

Star trail is an ass kicker for sure. Our group did it in 1997, it took 5-1/2
hours to go 7 miles. I have no desire to do it again. Ever. The locals say it has been fixed since then and it is way easier but I'm not buying it. I'll take T'line any day. At least from south to north anyways.
You guys just barey scratched the surface this time . you need to go for 2 weeks!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
KGSloan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
it was good seeing you guys the night before you left - can't believe your farted on my sign at your camp. you all looked pretty exhausted when i found you after star trail.

i'll say this, i remembered fossil ridge being an easy day - well, it's pretty gnarly too. Sam and I had all we wanted after Fossil Ridge and then Union Park back to the reservoir area the day after you all left.

we started out on the way there with a slight trailer brake issue - in that, all the wires ripped off somehow just before entering the mountains. wasn't about to do cottonwood pass without trailer brakes (about 6,000lbs loaded).

but we made it to salida, in good spirits i might add

got some absolutely epic riding in - first day included lily pond and american flag mountain (easy ride to warm up)

the second day we did 80 miles, with about 50 of it being single or double track. being up there with guys that have gone for 20+ years means that the best sections of trail can be connected up smoothly and made for a fun day. We had lunch at a mountain lake. I laid tracks on my GPS so can recreate this amazing day of riding on my own

did a dual sport ride to lake city the third day, no pics, but it was an awesome 240 mile day filled with mountain passes and a buffalo burger at Poker Alice's

the forth day, we ran fossil ridge. The view is amazing on top of the ridge, but the ride is freaking gnarly and relentless. We climbed 2,500' in elevation the first two miles of trail.

on the final (fifth) day, we did another dual sport ride up to the Alpine Tunnel. That was pretty neat.

http://colomar.com/ColoradoPlaces/alpine.html

great time up there, wish i could figure a way to sustain life in that area but alas i had to return home to generate revenue to do it again next year!
Old 09-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,832
 photo Colo2014NewnerLeopard_zps46a7acb3.jpg
Newner setting up camp.....I didnt ask
Old 09-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #11
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Thanks for the installment, Kit. Glad we got to see you, if only briefly. Next time carry a pen and paper if you want to leave a proper note.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #12
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

The road off the road ,to camp
 photo colo2014Road2Camp_zps2a4274f1.jpg

Camp...with bikes
 photo Colo2014camp1_zpsb9889a34.jpg
Old 09-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Close up of bikes...minus Newners mighty 520
 photo Colo2014Camp2_zps1bb18023.jpg
FIRE
 photo Whitemanfire1_zps609e4eca.jpg

DD drying or melting socks??
 photo whitemanfire3_zpsbb55054d.jpg
Old 09-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #14
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

The KLR Master...chillin
 photo KLRmasteratrest_zps01de5e49.jpg
His Bro...the Anti Bug man
 photo bugman1_zpsfb4d554e.jpg
Old 09-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #15
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

DD attending to his noble steed
Capt Awesome photo CaptAwesomeprep3_zps10f7e1fe.jpg
Dirt2007 and not twins chillin by the fire
 photo Fireside_zpsfd8d06cf.jpg

My Di photo kerminssoup_zps409c6ebd.jpgnner ...
Kermins soup