Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 05:05 AM   #136
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley
Great pictures! Thanks for the work of sharing! Too bad the world is so full of those whom know all and do nothing. Seems like a Know all finds his way into near most ride reports.

Thanks for that ... yep, the internets just wouldn't be the internets without a few 'armchair experts' to keep us all in check!

Loch Lomond
Kamchat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:15 AM   #137
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummel
Perfect reply . Enjoying the photos etc .Might bump into you this year,a few of us ride the same roads regularly too.On a mixture of bikes ,me on a ktm950adv.
Anyway well done.

Excellent! ... If you spot us out and about ..probably at the Green Welly, Inveraray or Oban front ..please come over and say 'hi'.

The Welly

Oban front

Inveraray - Heavy Sky ... Damn! - did we get wet that day!
Old 01-18-2010, 05:23 AM   #138
Vixen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat
Looking awesome! Gixxer looks good to!

Would love to do 'the Dragon' ... I look in on the 'Killboy site' regularly.
I recognise you and that bike - have you had pics on Killboy or BARF?

Would be great if the swap was possible ..will see how the year goes 'business wise'. Otherwise, if you are planning to tour the UK / Scotland make sure you come to Glasgow and do some rides with us (we have a spare room if you need somewhere to stay for a few nights).

Oh and to answer your question yes, Sarah (my gixxergirl) has a 750 ...she has rides my my 1000 from time to time :-

good eye! Killboy has put a shot of me on his front page a few times.

No plans for an overseas trip this year.....we're heading west late May this year. 2 wonderful weeks of rocky mountain riding........can't wait! Swapping sounds like a great idea, but likewise for you...if the dragon gets too tempting we have a room for you & your girlfriend and would be happy to show you many many more great roads in the area.

LOVE the blue & white classic colours.....you're shots are just amazing! Keep them coming please!
Old 01-18-2010, 05:34 AM   #139
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

I love this pic ..so much going on. It was taken on the narrow and twisty A814 Garelochhead to Arrochar ..Due to a major accident on the main A82 route north all the traffic was being rerouted down this narrow road ..the police were operating a 7 mile contraflow ..with each end having to wait in turn to use the road ...but someone messed up 'big style' and just a few miles up the road we met the other traffic heading south ...chaos ensued with coaches and caravans unable to squeeze past each other .. 5 miles of madness .. most folk were stuck there for many hours ... luckily bikes were able to filter through ..but even then it took ages to do the 5 miles as we kept coming up against blockages and incidents.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:41 AM   #140
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixen
good eye! Killboy has put a shot of me on his front page a few times.

No plans for an overseas trip this year.....we're heading west late May this year. 2 wonderful weeks of rocky mountain riding........can't wait! Swapping sounds like a great idea, but likewise for you...if the dragon gets too tempting we have a room for you & your girlfriend and would be happy to show you many many more great roads in the area.

LOVE the blue & white classic colours.....you're shots are just amazing! Keep them coming please!

'Front page of 'Killboy'' !- Respect!

I will definately be in touch if we manage to get across the pond and do the Dragon. Likewise if you get to Scotland. Swapping sounds great ..but we would miss out on going riding with you guys - which sounds like it would be a blast!

Many thanks again.

Grazing gixxer

Kamchat screwed with this post 01-18-2010 at 05:51 AM
Old 01-18-2010, 06:24 AM   #141
wmfleet2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
thanks

Thanks for every thing,,great write up and photos
York,Pa
wmfleet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #142
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,402
Quote:
Scotland being Scotland the only predictable thing about the weather is it is unpredictable. We do get more than our fair share of rain.
Small world. Carleton Place is just down the road from me. My Grandfather came from Scotland and was as Scottish as could be.... and an avid motorcyclist.
He rode one of these and would be aghast to see all the German made Police cars/bikes and Japanese and Italian road bikes I'm sure!

As for weather...when I was in Scotland, at times I really wished I had my bike instead of a rental car. At times!

A great report here and wonderful pics. Thanks for posting!

Dave
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #143
quicktoys2
ADVrider junkie :)

Oddometer: 629
Awesome pics ........... Thanks for sharing
Old 01-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #144
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
I love this pic ..so much going on. It was taken on the narrow and twisty A814 Garelochhead to Arrochar ..Due to a major accident on the main A82 route north all the traffic was being rerouted down this narrow road ..the police were operating a 7 mile contraflow ..with each end having to wait in turn to use the road ...but someone messed up 'big style' and just a few miles up the road we met the other traffic heading south ...chaos ensued with coaches and caravans unable to squeeze past each other .. 5 miles of madness .. most folk were stuck there for many hours ... luckily bikes were able to filter through ..but even then it took ages to do the 5 miles as we kept coming up against blockages and incidents.
Got to love some of the A roads up the west coast. Anywhere else in the UK an A road has at least one lane in each direction.

The Jester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #145
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmfleet2
Thanks for every thing,,great write up and photos
York,Pa
Cheers for the comments ...glad you enjoyed the thread.

Woods between Aberfeldy and Pitlochry ..
Old 01-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #146
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpermeister
Small world. Carleton Place is just down the road from me. My Grandfather came from Scotland and was as Scottish as could be.... and an avid motorcyclist.
He rode one of these and would be aghast to see all the German made Police cars/bikes and Japanese and Italian road bikes I'm sure!

As for weather...when I was in Scotland, at times I really wished I had my bike instead of a rental car. At times!

A great report here and wonderful pics. Thanks for posting!

Dave

Thanks ... The Scott looks awesome ..although I bet it is a whole different experience to ride! I notice how much bikes have changed since I first got into bikes, riding the likes of GT750 Suzuki two-strokes (crap handling, tyres and brakes ... so God knows what riding those classics must be like !

Your grandfather would hopefully be heartened to see we still have Triumphs in our group... and great bikes they are too.

Regrouping
Old 01-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #147
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicktoys2
Awesome pics ........... Thanks for sharing
Cheers ...glad you like them .

Taking the shortcut home by catching the Dunoon ferry...
Old 01-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #148
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester
Got to love some of the A roads up the west coast. Anywhere else in the UK an A road has at least one lane in each direction.
Yep, one of the most thrilling rides around here is the twisty 'Dukes Pass' over the Trossachs - the A821. Awesome road ..but has caught many a biker out.

On the Dukes Pass...

Old 01-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #149
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Wow! Thank you! Glad you like them so much.

No the camera is not fixed ..it is held in my left hand. Most of the time when out on a rideout the camera stays in my rucksack. But when I decide to get some pics I stop, remove my left glove and swap it for the camera . I know riding without a glove is not a good idea but I can't work the camera buttons otherwise (I am toying with the idea of cutting the end of one finger off a glove so I can stay protected but still work the camera buttons). The camera is clipped to a lanyard round my neck (this allows me to drop the camera should I suddenly need to use both hands on the controls in an emergency) I then just ride with my right hand working the throttle and brake and countersteering combined with using the rest of my body to lean the bike round bends. My main concentration is on the road ahead ... using peripheral vision to see what I am doing with the camera ..... or if glancing down to check the camera using peripheral vision to keep and eye on the road.
Between pics I stuff the camera down the front of my jacket which I leave partly unzipped.

Hope this all makes sense ... let me know if you want any more info.
Makes sense!
One thing you've got to have if you do photos that way is a bunch of fellows you absolutely trust. Riding in between the other bikes at full speed with only one hand (shame on you, bad boy!) - the others have to know that and react according to it. But from what I can see you have good company on your ride-outs. Seems like a really cool group.
Have you ever been to Switzerland & the Alps? If not (or if yes, you can't be here too often) - I wanna see those bikes parked at my place!
We got a bunch of pretty amazing roads and loads of even more amazing scenery in the neighbourhood..

Anyways, we have to get a camera like this (the Nikon is just too big for these purposes) and then we will hopefully be able to shoot some nice pics as well. Advantage in our case: My beloved live navigation system is riding with me, reading the map on my back - so why not taking photos as well. We gotta try this.

Thanks again for the thread, makes my day!

Cheers!

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #150
Frank likes to ride

Oddometer: 183
Thanks for more killer pictures off the egg run! My hats off to you guys. Great to see so many motorcyclists getting together for a great cause.

We have charity runs like that here, but they are much smaller.

Blows me away, the quality of photos you get from a Canon powershot. Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers!
Frank likes to ride is offline   Reply With Quote