Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2010, 06:18 AM   #181
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,792
Just a few more pics .... don't worry, - I have nearly run out! Lol!

Sarah on the A84
Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:40 AM   #182
allanmca
rollin rollin rollin..

Oddometer: 56
You're killing me with these pictures!
I'm from Mt Vernon in Glasgow and been in US since Sept 2001. I get back every year, but it's amazing to see these brilliant pictures of everything I know from home.
The sad thing is I never rode in Scotland. I didn't get my bike license until I moved over here, but it's a damn sight easier - the test took about 10mins here in Georgia!
One of these times I'm back over I'll be renting. I dont have any mates back home that ride, so I might just drop you an email for a run up to the Carbeth! Oh, happy memories.

Cheers for the pics.
Kawa ZR-7
allanmca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #183
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanmca
You're killing me with these pictures!
I'm from Mt Vernon in Glasgow and been in US since Sept 2001. I get back every year, but it's amazing to see these brilliant pictures of everything I know from home.
The sad thing is I never rode in Scotland. I didn't get my bike license until I moved over here, but it's a damn sight easier - the test took about 10mins here in Georgia!
One of these times I'm back over I'll be renting. I dont have any mates back home that ride, so I might just drop you an email for a run up to the Carbeth! Oh, happy memories.

Cheers for the pics.

Glad to provide some memories of 'home'... yes, you must come and ride with us next time you are back (well, unless it's the middle of winter! Lol!)

If you come out with us on a Sunday you will have a good bunch of 'instant friends' to ride with.

The Carbeth is our 'regular' local biking pub..with the awesome stockiemuir road running past it. It's our 'stamping ground' .

Carbeth pics :-

Doggy Bag ..this terrier turned up on his Ducati

Approaching the Carbeth from the north... this is a photo from late last year ..after the pub's face lift ..you can see the new green sign outside...

Kamchat screwed with this post 01-27-2010 at 10:52 AM
Old 01-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #184
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Scottish Roads : - This is the main A82 north along the side of Loch Lomond..another dangerous stretch of road .. it can be a bit of a squeeze in places ..especially with the tourist coaches

'Breathe in'

Loch Lomond at Tarbert
Old 01-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #185
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Great photos! I grew up in England but moved to the US 12 years ago.

Whenever anyone asks me what I miss most about England, I always say Fish and Chips and Scotland. Brilliant roads, scenery, whiskey and people.

I'm feeling all homesick now ...

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #186
Yodagoat
Made in Scotland

Oddometer: 331
Nice ZRX!
You'll always find me camping up in Sutherland and Caithness (not in the winter though)

Adventures around Scotland and beyond. www.wintonmassif.co.uk
Yodagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #187
Yodagoat
Made in Scotland

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat
Best police officer ever! As we were assembling in Tyndrum and about to leave to ride the fabulous A85 Tyndrum to Dalmally road . This police officer stopped and asked if he could join us! I was a bit taken aback and wary at first but the following 15 miles were surreal - a line of sports bikes peeling into bends at illegal speeds ..and there right in the middle of them - a full-dress police bike mixing it with the best! . At Dalmally he pulled over and sent us on our way with a grin and a cheery wave.

If only all police officers were the same ! - What a wonderful world it would be.

Thats awesome!! A breath of fresh air.

Adventures around Scotland and beyond. www.wintonmassif.co.uk
Yodagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:08 AM   #188
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitham_wannabe
Great photos! I grew up in England but moved to the US 12 years ago.

Whenever anyone asks me what I miss most about England, I always say Fish and Chips and Scotland. Brilliant roads, scenery, whiskey and people.

I'm feeling all homesick now ...
Thanks ... not often you would hear someone say the thing they miss about England is Scotland! Lol! ...But I know what you mean ..I am English ...moved up here 23 years ago and love it. It is biking heaven (when the weather is right). Btw I see last week that the 'Fish and Chip shop of the year award' went to a chippie in Coatbridge just outside Glasgow.- 'Atlantic Fish and Chips' on Calder St. .... so there is another reason to come visit! Lol!

Gixxer at Kirk

Evening sun on the Stockiemuir..in summer we often try to fit in a midweek evening run after work ..that's the good thing about long summer evenings ..staying light till after 10.00 at night.

On the subject of 'fish n chips' and 'evening rides'...one of our favourite 'evening runs' is up to Callander to sit in the meadows car park by the river, eating fish n chips from the chip shop round the corner...bliss! It is another favourite meeting place for bikers on sunny evenings:-

Kamchat screwed with this post 01-28-2010 at 02:54 AM
Old 01-28-2010, 02:20 AM   #189
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,551
I bet all that leather keeps the freaking midges away!

I've also grown used to driving one handed and shooting with the other, I also have a canon, do you think that that makes a difference?

I have toured Scotland on my triumph... That is a used triumph CAR I had bought on ebay for 100 quid.... I wish I had been on 2 wheels and Scotland is still way up on my list of to-do rides... Lovely roads, lovely views, but mostly, lovely people...

Thank you for this thread, it kept me pinned down..
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:27 AM   #190
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodagoat
Nice ZRX!
You'll always find me camping up in Sutherland and Caithness (not in the winter though)

Cheers ..hello in East Lothian! No, 'camping in winter' - not nice! Our playground is normally on the west coast ..but we do venture east towards you some Sundays ..although that would be south to Peebles, St Marys Loch and Selkirk ...or north to Blairgowrie and up to Braemar. Maybe bump into you one Sunday? Say 'hi' if you spot our gixxers.

More ZRX...leaving Tarbet

Buchlyvie

Country lane in the Campsies

Still in the Campsies ...yes, contrary to popular belief - the sun does shine in Scotland .... occasionally!
Old 01-28-2010, 02:39 AM   #191
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts
I bet all that leather keeps the freaking midges away!

I've also grown used to driving one handed and shooting with the other, I also have a canon, do you think that that makes a difference?

I have toured Scotland on my triumph... That is a used triumph CAR I had bought on ebay for 100 quid.... I wish I had been on 2 wheels and Scotland is still way up on my list of to-do rides... Lovely roads, lovely views, but mostly, lovely people...

Thank you for this thread, it kept me pinned down..

You are very welcome ... as you would be if come back to ride here.

Touring in a 100 car off e-bay! That is chancing your luck! Lol!

The dreaded midges can be a curse ..but they only seem to come out later in the evening ..as the sun goes down ..and as you say, - you don't notice them when you are on the move. They can sometimes be a pain if we are sitting outside at the Carbeth Inn. The landlord keeps some Avon 'skin so soft' which works better than most insect repellants... although it is quite funny to see all the 'macho' bikers slapping Avon moisturiser on themselves. Beats being eaten alive though.

Roadside break

Waiting to be 'let loose' on the A85 at Loch Awe
Old 01-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #192
AKLiz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
I don't think I've ever seen a helmet for a dog - that was pretty cool :)

Totally agree with you about Avon skin so soft. We have pretty bad mozzies up here and that stuff works surprisingly well.

Thanks again for sharing your photos - i love em.
AKLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:23 AM   #193
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKLiz
I don't think I've ever seen a helmet for a dog - that was pretty cool :)

Totally agree with you about Avon skin so soft. We have pretty bad mozzies up here and that stuff works surprisingly well.

Thanks again for sharing your photos - i love em.

'Dog helmet' - All he needs now is a set of one-piece racing leathers! Now that I would like to see! Lol

Love the fact that you love the pics.. thanks again.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #194
DeaGov
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thank you for all the pictures and all the (lot of) memories it bring back. I lived in Paisley for more than a year in the '90s and Scotland was just like a second home to me (the auld alliance, the flower, the brave, you know what I mean lol). I hope I'll have the chance to get back to The Drum and Monkey or the Shenanigan like in the good old days for a wee beer.
Anyway, I want to get there with my bike... maybe not for the pub crawl but to go to the Loch Maree ('had a great time there) and John O' Groats, yep
Old 02-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #195
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Great stuff. I was debating whether to tour Ireland, Scotland or Europe this year but I think your RR has got me heading north.

First post on this site by the way.

Sean
IslandMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote