Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #2101
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu View Post
YEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Congratulations!! A RF 900 F, it's a survivor!!!

What a good bike!!!

Hehehe...

If you meant to congratulate me - I don't have one yet!
Just considering it.
But yeah, I agree - what a great bike!
Why is it a survivor, though..?

Bon week-end ŕ toi!

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:26 AM   #2102
bubu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
because this bike have two problems. The first is about a water tubing in oil which had break easily, and at the beginning lots of mechanics thought it was a problem with the breech.

the second problem is the GIXXER, all people prefer to buy gixxer than RF. It was the same problem with the tiller...
Old 05-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #2103
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Quote:
because this bike have two problems. The first is about a water tubing in oil which had break easily, and at the beginning lots of mechanics thought it was a problem with the breech.

the second problem is the GIXXER, all people prefer to buy gixxer than RF. It was the same problem with the tiller...
Yeah, you're right about the Gixxer problem!
It's the same with the Ace and the R1 !
That's what makes the RF and Ace so cool. Not many left out there.

I think the Tiller (or Telly, as we call them ) had some much more profound problems than just the Gixxer (or the SV for that matter). It is definitely one of the best V-twins ever (that's why it is used in so many other bikes until today!), but the chassis was simply unrideable. Ot let's say very difficult to tame.
But what a beauty it was - and the sound!! Only beaten by the TRX. That, btw, would be my second bike of choice.

I think I will get my first ride for 2012 tomorrow.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #2104
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl View Post
I think I will get my first ride for 2012 tomorrow.
And I did!!!!!!!!!

Twohundredandfortynine - in numbers: 249 - days I haven't been sitting on a motorcycle. Today I had my first ride since my accident on September 6, 2011.

The BMW Roadshow was in Monthey, the next town from where I live, and it was dry today, so I couldn't resist, put on my letahers and boots, grabbed my helmet and gloves and drove down (not very comfy in the car with leathers and boots, but wtf!).
First thing I noticed was that they didn't bring the S 1000 RR, but that didn't really surprise me.
Anyway, there were some nice bikes and so I prepared for some hours of riding .
I decided to start with a small bike - the F 800 R.
(Sorry for the poor picture quality, I still don't have a good camera....)

Well, what can I say..
I wasn't really convinced. The design is quite okay, IMO. But the brakes suck, the handling is not at all good for a bike that size and the two-cylindres make the thing vibrate pretty hefty. 87 bhp sounds okay, but it's really not enough for my taste.
I am spoiled. No small bikes anymore.
So after a nice little rideout (yes, I went through the corners where I crashed last year - been waiting for that ever since! Felt a wee bit strange, but ok overall) I brought her back and chose my next ride:

The R 1200 GS "Tom Lüthi"-edition!

So yeah, that went a bit more in the right direction, powerwise. Powerwheelie no problem. Vibrations are much softer on this bike, at least that was my impression.
Brakes and chassis are superb, nothing bad to say there. Nevertheless, it's not really my thing.
I never rode a GS (or any other big dual-sport) before and as comfy as it is, as much as you are enthroned above the road - it's just not my thing. I felt kinda insecure when cornering. The wide steering bar in combination with the very upright position makes long, fast corners become real fun. But in the twisties it just doesn't feel right. It is a comfy cruiser, that's for sure, and for the purpose of long-distance travelling it is defintitely great. But it can't do "everything", as my Fazer could.
So, back to the BMW tent.

AllBlackPearl screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 02:16 PM
Old 05-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #2105
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

What next...? Hm.....
Well, the choice was easy really. I was getting warm with riding again, I wanted something more suitable, so it had to be the:

I could summarize it all in one sentence: I'm in love!
Jesus, Mary and Jo the carpenter. What a beauty that is, and what a fricken MONSTER.
UNBELIEVABLE. Just incredible.
I'm not really a big fan of loud bikes, but the sound of the exhaust is orgasmic! Wow.
And the power of the bike is just overwhelming. 170 bhp and 140 Nm torque out of the smoothest in-row-four I've ever ridden. It just blows you away. I almost blacked out, when I accelerated the rocket up to ... much more than legal. I really thought I'd pass out for a second. Crazy stuff.
Well, seating position is just perfect; aggressive, but not too sporty. Breaks and chassis are beyond any reasonable doubt. Cornering at any speed is the easiest thing on earth.
I would have kept it, if there hadn't been the slight problem of 21'400 CHF....
Anyway, what an experience - I recommend that to anybody who loves four-cylindre bikes. And anyone else.
But - I had to get back at some point, people were already waiting for a ride on the beast...

So, it was already getting late, but I thought - now or never - and went for a last ride.
Unfortunately, my camera now refused to take anymore pictures - battery was empty, didn't have anything to do with the bike.

So my last ride was this:

Yeah, I hear you!
That's what I thought as well.

Holy shit, was I wrong!!!
This machine is one fine bike, that's what I'm telling you now!
You think you have experienced a smooth engine? No, you haven't, unless you have ridden the K 1600 GT.
This is just beyond believe. The 6-cylindre is fantastic. 175 Nm, and you feel them. And again, the sound is INCREDIBLE. I went through a tunnel and accelerated. I was really startled, cause I was sure that some Lamborghini or tuned Porsche Carrera was gonna pass me any second - then I realised that it was me, or better the bike I was on.
Fantastic.
So, comfy as hell - no surprise here; incredible amounts of power - not REALLY a surprise...
BUT the surprise came in the corners - it felt like I was riding a racing bicycle! I don't have the slightest clue what the designers did there, but it was a stroke of genious.
I swear that I have never ridden a bike in my life that cornered only even half as easy as that one. And that's the truth.
I felt kinda ... strange... about it, but this bike could really be one for me. I'd love to beat the hell out of the gixxers and blades with a yacht like that!! HA! And you easily could.
If I could only find 30'000 CHF somewhere....

In the end, it was a really really good day You cannot imagine how good it felt to be back in the saddle after all those (again, 249!) days. I am a happy man.
For the moment. Now I need a bike. Even more than yesterday.

Sorry to bother you with my drivel and all the waffling..
I just needed to get that out!

Cheers, mate (Kam ) and everybody else who could be bothered readiing this of course!
Have a good week everybody.

AllBlackPearl screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 02:23 PM
Old 05-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #2106
Johnny Dakar
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,880
Quote:
What next...? Hm.....
Well, the choice was easy really. I was getting warm with riding again, I wanted somoething more suitable, so it had to be the:

I could summarize it all in one sentence: I'm in love!
Jesus, Mary and Jo the carpenter. What a beauty that is, and what a fricken MONSTER.
UNBELIEVABLE. Just incredible.
I'm not really a big fan of loud bikes, but the sound of the Akra exhaust is orgasmic! Wow.
And the power of the bike is just overwhelming. 170 bhp and 140 Nm torque out of the smoothest in-row-four I've ever ridden. It just blows you away. I almost blacked out, when I accelarated the rocket up tp 200 or so. I really thought, I'd pass out for a second. Crazy stuff.
Well, seating position is just perfect, aggressive, but not too sporty. Breaks and chassis are beyond any reasonable doubt. Cornering at any speed is the easoest thing on earth.
I would have kept it, if there hadn't been the slight problem of 21'400 CHF....
Anyway, what an experience - I recommend that to anybody who loves four-cylindre bikes. And anyone else.
But - I had to get back at some point, people were already waiting for a ride...

So, it was already getting late, but I thought - now or never - and went for a last ride.
Unfortunately, my camera now refused to take anymore pictures - battery was empty, didn't have anything to do with the bike.

So my last ride was this:

Yeah, I hear you!
That's what I thought as well.

Holy shit, was I wrong!!!
This machine is one fine bike, that's what I'm telling you now!
You think you have experienced a smooth motor? No, you haven't, unless you have ridden the K 1600 GT.
This is just beyond believe. The 6-cylindre is fantastic. 175 Nm, and you feel them. And again, the sound is INCREDIBLE. I went through a tunnel and accelerated. I was really startled, cause I was sure that some Lamborghini or tuned Porsche Carrera was gonna pass me any second - then I realised that it was me, or better the bike I was on.
Fantastic.
So, comfy as hell, no surprise here, incrdible amounts of power, not REALLY a surprise...
BUT the surprise came in the corners - it felt like I was riding a racing bicycle. I don't have the slightest clue what the designers did there, but it was a stroke of genious.
I swear that I have never ridden a bike in my life that cornered only even half as easy as that one. And that's the truth.
I felt kinda ... strange... about it, but this bike could really be one for me. I'd love to beat the hell out of the gixxers and blades with a yacht like that!! HA! And you easily could.
If I could only find 30'000 CHF somewhere....

In the end, it was a really really good day You cannot imagine how good it felt to be back in the saddle after all those (again, 249!) days. I am a happy man.
For the moment.

Sorry to bother you with my drivel and all the waffling..
I just needed to get that out!

Cheers, mate (Kam ) and everybody else who could be bothered readiing this of course!
Have a good week everybody.
Post of the year, right there.
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #2107
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dakar View Post
Post of the year, right there.
It's definitely blasphemic to say that in a thread that is so full of amazing posts by Kam himself.
But thanks a lot! Glad you liked it.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #2108
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,855
AllBlackPearl.....

Fantastic to hear you got a riding 'fix' at last ....
....and a great write-up on your day of test riding BMW's ..... now you must try some Ducatis........ and Suzukis ....and.....

It's how I kept sane when I was bikeless - test rides. ..... and after all, - you are in the market for a bike, so it's only fair and reasonable.

Kamchat screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 05:20 PM
Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #2109
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat View Post
AllBlackPearl.....

Fantastic to hear you got a riding 'fix' at last ....
....and a great write-up on your day of test riding BMW's ..... now you must try some Ducatis........ and Suzukis ....and.....

It's how I kept sane when I was bikeless - test rides. ..... and after all, - you are in the market for a bike, so it's only fair and reasonable.
It is!

Unfortunately all the other "open door" days of the other manufacturers have already been in April or so. So I'd have to go for "regular" test rides. But maybe I should start focussing on the more realistic stuff...?
Oh, and I'd skip Ducati anyway, that's for sure.

But as you say, I got the fix, now I need more.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #2110
bubu
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

I like this style!!!!!

It's the terminator of the bike "i'll be back"...
Old 05-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #2111
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Quote:
I like this style!!!!!

It's the terminator of the bike "i'll be back"...
Yeah, and it's as brutal and uncompromising as Terminator.
And it sounds better...

Old 05-15-2012, 03:34 AM   #2112
ssason
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
This is "Muengstenerbruecke" isn`t it??

Quote:
Aye, back in my hometown (Solingen), we have a suicide bridge as well. In fact THE suicide bridge....
It's the highest railroad bridge in Germany - 351 ft.

It is MIGHTY, when you stand below in in real life, just majestic.
Well, a lot of people used to jump down unfortunately. There is not too much water running down there, so you can imagine the mess. Once a guy got his leg caught in the steel framework and had to be rescued in a laborious operation.. Not quite what he had wanted, I guess.

Sorry to post pictures that are not my own... Couldn't find any so quickly...

www.arcor-kompass-trophy.de
ssason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:49 AM   #2113
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssason View Post
This is "Muengstenerbruecke" isn`t it??
It is indeed.
Well spotted.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:55 AM   #2114
ssason
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
It is indeed.
Well spotted.
road past here several times on my way into "bergisches Land"

www.arcor-kompass-trophy.de
ssason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #2115
bubu
Studly Adventurer

First track day for the old VFR (1991), and first ride for me on a VFR...

My feeling, is not so bad, but the engine is to "light", and the bike is to heavy. But it's quite easy when you ride light, but when you want to be quick and more aggressive, you must fight with the VFR, but it's fun...

And now the pictures...