Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #3616
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu View Post
if you come in UK, Doug, tell it, and we come too with good french wine.

Kam did you drink the last bottle?
Sounds good Bubu. I am partial to Tempranillo these days, and the wife love her ice wine( of course she does, its half the size and 3-4 times the cost ), but I'll never say no to a good French Cab Sav.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #3617
bubu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
it is very interesting. You speak about a type of grape (cabernet, sauvignon, etc...) and in France we speak how to prepare the wine and the earth.

You can have a really good wine or a really bad wine with the same type of grape. the type of grape is important but it is not the most important. The most important is the work you do on the grape, and in the cellars.

my cellar

bubu screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 11:47 AM
bubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #3618
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
I hear you on the cycling too. Bought this last year to get back into mountain biking( and get in better shape for dirtbiking). I have not been one one in almost 20 years..I even amateur raced for a season back then too...also on a GT.

Motorcycles, photography, and cycling...we have a lot in common. I'll have to give you a shout if we ever make it over that way. I did tell then wife that if do make it over there, I am taking a couple days to rent a motorcycle and ride in Scotland. I had no idea until your thread, how great the roads and riding were over there. And, she has an Aunt who live in the UK....Surrey I wanna say..but don't quote me on that.

EDIT: Guildford

Sounds like a plan. ..although bear in mind Guildford is down in England, south of London and about 420 miles from us. ..... mind you, it's only about an hour's flight away.

Hope you do make it over one day and we can show you round some of the best roads.... sounds like bubu might join in so it would be a mini 'ADV rideout' !
Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #3619
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
it is very interesting. You speak about a type of grape (cabernet, sauvignon, etc...) and in France we speak how to prepare the wine and the earth.

You can have a really good wine or a really bad wine with the same type of grape. the type of grape is important but it is not the most important. The most important is the work you do on the grape, and in the cellars.

my cellar

That's quite a stock pile you have - looks like about 100 bottles!

Yes we drank the last bottle thanks ..we took it to Norwich and shared it with Sarah's parents ...like you said, it was served cold and was lovely thanks.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #3620
bubu
Studly Adventurer

It is around 100 bottles...

older 1973, younger 2009.

I am happy if you liked the last one. It is very great with smocked salmon... but the perfect is to drink it without something to eat to keep your taste for the wine.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #3621
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Up to page 200 by now. Probably catch up to the end tomorrow.

Couple thoughts:
1. Seems like a lot of you guys ride bigger displacement bikes. Is that the norm?
Granted, I have an SV1000, but the power is more in line with the 600's of the time, about 110 HP's. The modern inline 4 1000's have gobs of power..almost too much.
Are the roads that you ride more flowing and able to use the power? I find the more technical stuff here, that I have ridden, Rt 129 Dragon for example, the extra power is not usable. The smaller bikes, 600's and even super motard bikes get around much easier.
There is a general American thought process that one needs to have a liter bike or bigger. Of course, most of the people that feel that way do not ride well or ever make it to the twisties.
I have taken great pleasure losing Busa's and alike in the twisties, as well as getting by the bigger bikes on that track( my track bike was a 2001 GSXR 600)

2. Your looping the GSXR/ injured bum incident: I am too much of a wuss to wheel the street bike too much other than the occasional power wheelie. BUT, I did break my arse, literally, riding the dirt bikes a few years ago. Similar to your's, I came over some bumps and the front wheel came up. I stood up and gave it too much gas. Next thing I knew, the bike was flying out from me, my bum hit the ground, and I went rolling at about 40 mph. Could not sit for weeks, and to boot, it happened two days before ThanksGiving.

3. One of your mates always wears his Yamaha(fleece?) over his leathers. Does it help to keep him warm? I would imagine it gets pretty dirty too.
I have always tried to wear layers under my gear, but as you know, leather suits are usually on the tighter side. A company called Under Armour makes a nice microfleece product. As warm as a full sized fleece, but about as thick as a standard flanel shirt. Fits under any jacket or leathers I wear. I have started getting some small holes in my current one, so I will probably try to get another this season.

OK, back to the thread. Just trying to remember some of the thoughts that have popped into my head in these last 200 pages.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #3622
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat View Post
Yesterday was 6C and wet ..although it did brighten up in the evening so I managed to get a quick run out after tea.

This is in the countryside north of Glasgow near Balfron...

Lone gixxer - Trossachs to the north...

[/IMG]
That picture is just amazing Kam. Love it. Certainly one to print and hang in your flat. Great stuff.

Not to pollute too much wth non bike pictures or non Kam pics, but here is a comparison with the dogs, and the two camera's( since you asked), DSLR and A720is. (better lighting when I took the DSLR shots)

Taz, husky beagle mix..the old man:
DSLR

A720

Molly, American fox hound with we suspect a touch of beagle, the young lady:
DSLR

A720

Obviously not the exact shot, but a good comparison.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #3623
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It is around 100 bottles...

older 1973, younger 2009.

I am happy if you liked the last one. It is very great with smocked salmon... but the perfect is to drink it without something to eat to keep your taste for the wine.

Well, we had it with an evening meal (I can't remember what, but it wasn't smoked salmon )..... and everyone enjoyed it. .

100 bottles !? - You have some drinking to do!
Old 09-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #3624
bubu
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat View Post
Well, we had it with an evening meal (I can't remember what, but it wasn't smoked salmon )..... and everyone enjoyed it. .

100 bottles !? - You have some drinking to do!
lol i prefer quality to quantity so my wine will be older
Old 09-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #3625
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Up to page 200 by now. Probably catch up to the end tomorrow.

Couple thoughts:
1. Seems like a lot of you guys ride bigger displacement bikes. Is that the norm?
Granted, I have an SV1000, but the power is more in line with the 600's of the time, about 110 HP's. The modern inline 4 1000's have gobs of power..almost too much.
Are the roads that you ride more flowing and able to use the power? I find the more technical stuff here, that I have ridden, Rt 129 Dragon for example, the extra power is not usable. The smaller bikes, 600's and even super motard bikes get around much easier.
There is a general American thought process that one needs to have a liter bike or bigger. Of course, most of the people that feel that way do not ride well or ever make it to the twisties.
I have taken great pleasure losing Busa's and alike in the twisties, as well as getting by the bigger bikes on that track( my track bike was a 2001 GSXR 600)

2. Your looping the GSXR/ injured bum incident: I am too much of a wuss to wheel the street bike too much other than the occasional power wheelie. BUT, I did break my arse, literally, riding the dirt bikes a few years ago. Similar to your's, I came over some bumps and the front wheel came up. I stood up and gave it too much gas. Next thing I knew, the bike was flying out from me, my bum hit the ground, and I went rolling at about 40 mph. Could not sit for weeks, and to boot, it happened two days before ThanksGiving.

3. One of your mates always wears his Yamaha(fleece?) over his leathers. Does it help to keep him warm? I would imagine it gets pretty dirty too.
I have always tried to wear layers under my gear, but as you know, leather suits are usually on the tighter side. A company called Under Armour makes a nice microfleece product. As warm as a full sized fleece, but about as thick as a standard flanel shirt. Fits under any jacket or leathers I wear. I have started getting some small holes in my current one, so I will probably try to get another this season.

OK, back to the thread. Just trying to remember some of the thoughts that have popped into my head in these last 200 pages.

Hi there.....

1. Yes, bigger displacement bikes are favoured here with 1000's being the most preferred. We ride a varied range of roads ...all of them fairly 'bendy' ...... Some quite 'nadgery' like the 'Duke's Pass' and 'Cock Hill' roads and a lot of others with more flowing bends ...yes, on the tighter ones a 600 might be a better tool for the job but not on the rest.
You just can't beat the adrenalin rush of the 1000 and the buckets of mid range 'grunt'.

2. I don't go around wheelying everywhere ..... just now and then, mainly cresting rises. Luckily my bum wasn't badly injured even though I wore right through the seat of my leathers (thank God I was wearing leathers)....my hands came off worse and one of my fingers still won't bend now.

3. Not sure about the fleece thing...but yes, I guess it must help keep one warm and there is no room inside the leathers to wear it comfortably...I have seen quite a few riders wearing them over leathers.

Kamchat screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 01:55 PM
Old 09-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #3626
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That picture is just amazing Kam. Love it. Certainly one to print and hang in your flat. Great stuff.

Not to pollute too much wth non bike pictures or non Kam pics, but here is a comparison with the dogs, and the two camera's( since you asked), DSLR and A720is. (better lighting when I took the DSLR shots)

Obviously not the exact shot, but a good comparison.

Thanks ...glad you like the 'gixxer at dusk' shot.

Interesting to see the comparison shots ....although you can see the images from the DSLR are sharper, it does show how good the compact is for the money.

Would be interesting to try taking the exact same pic, with the same lighting (ie. one straight after the other) with both cameras and seeing the difference.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #3627
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
lol i prefer quality to quantity so my wine will be older

Looks like you quite like 'quantity' too bubu
Old 09-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #3628
rckt grl
Sportbike Addict

Oddometer: 81
Great pics in this thread as usual Kam! Not a regular contributor here persay, but I do browse the site quite a bit and this is always one of my favorites!

Gotta love our Gixxers! (I apologize, I don't know how to post into the actual thread!)

http://s73.photobucket.com/user/Deny...9c8d9.jpg.html

http://s73.photobucket.com/user/Deny...da160.jpg.html
rckt grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #3629
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Alas, I have finally reached the end of the thread, and now I can enjoy in real time, with everyone else. I thank you for replying to all my questions along the last couple pages. Very helpful.

The thread is awesome, inspirational, and motivating.

I am sure you have heard the saying, " You are a man's man". That you are, as well as a "rider's rider"....hopefully that makes sense.

I am envious of your riding most every weekend, and look forward to more postings in this thread.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:46 AM   #3630
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckt grl View Post
Great pics in this thread as usual Kam! Not a regular contributor here persay, but I do browse the site quite a bit and this is always one of my favorites!

Gotta love our Gixxers! (I apologize, I don't know how to post into the actual thread!)

http://s73.photobucket.com/user/Deny...9c8d9.jpg.html

http://s73.photobucket.com/user/Deny...da160.jpg.html

Hey rckt grl ! Good to hear from you again ...... Really pleased that you haven't got tired of the pics yet as 'gixxergirls' are my favourite people on the planet. ....... that's why I have one of my very own.

Btw ..if you want to post pics in a thread all you need to do is right click on your pic then click on 'properties' at the bottom of the 'drop down' menu that appears ...that will open a new box and in there you will see an URL address code for your pic, copy and paste this into the little box that appears after you click on the little icon above the reply window on here ...the icon I am talking about is the one that looks like a couple of small mountains and is yellowish .... if you hover your mouse over it it will say 'insert image'...... and you are 'good to go' ..... eg:-

Love the above pic ...I presume it was taken by a professional .... particularly the way he captured you (the subject) in focus but the other bikes around you are out of focus ...great pic.