Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 03:01 AM   #3976
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,771
From later in the summer ... Mark on the Glen Shee road (A93) heading north to Braemar...

Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:15 AM   #3977
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

For the last year I have enjoyed passing the 'A82 Monitor'.... Someone ( a drunk student?) had placed an old computer monitor on the crash barrier right in the centre of the A82 / Great Western Road, - just at the start as you go over the flyover above the M8...

I don't why, but it made me laugh when I saw it ..and have got used to seeing it every morning as I pass by in the rush-hour traffic heading to work.

Unfortunately it has now gone ...after sitting there for a year. .... Things just won't be the same on my morning commute .....

Pics taken with my phone ....

Old 12-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #3978
TexasPrairieRider
Texan

Oddometer: 623
Striking differances

In this part of the world we have two striking differances.
A. We can't wear full leathers in July and
B. We can't put our helmets on the ground without the imported fire ant taking up residence

there is a third and that being, nothing is green, the drought makes sure of that. Scotland sure looks like a great riding venue!

(I like pie.)
TexasPrairieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #3979
sanaga
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
finally.....
woww....very nice pics
after 3 weeks reading this thread.....today i just finish at last page....
kamchat.....ur country really beautiful and has incredible scenery....
need to save money so i can fly there and rent a bike and ride there....
wonderful country...drool
cant wait for ur come back in the ride
keep ride kamchat....never surrender

we also ride every sunday here...and sportbike group also.....so i can feel how the spirit ride feeling.....

thanks
sanaga
from Indonesia
sanaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #3980
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPrairieRider View Post
In this part of the world we have two striking differances.
A. We can't wear full leathers in July and
B. We can't put our helmets on the ground without the imported fire ant taking up residence

there is a third and that being, nothing is green, the drought makes sure of that. Scotland sure looks like a great riding venue!

Cheers ...It IS a great riding venue for sure ...... for seven months of the year (April - Oct).... and when it isn't raining ...which it does a lot.
But when all comes together right - it's a 'biking heaven'.

No fire ants to worry about here....but we do have our very own midges which can be a pain sometimes if you are sitting outside on a still summer evening.

I guess we are lucky that we can wear our full leather kit, even in summer without melting though. It's almost unheard of to see temps of anything over 30C. In fact, I think the hottest day we had this past year was the day Sarah and I rode to Sanna Bay and it hit 30C.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #3981
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanaga View Post
finally.....
woww....very nice pics
after 3 weeks reading this thread.....today i just finish at last page....
kamchat.....ur country really beautiful and has incredible scenery....
need to save money so i can fly there and rent a bike and ride there....
wonderful country...drool
cant wait for ur come back in the ride
keep ride kamchat....never surrender

we also ride every sunday here...and sportbike group also.....so i can feel how the spirit ride feeling.....

thanks
sanaga
from Indonesia

Thanks sanaga, well done on getting through the whole thread......I'm really pleased that you liked it.

Yes, you must come over and ride with us when you are able.

Thanks for posting, it's always good to hear from fellow sportbike riders from other parts of the world.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #3982
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Kamchat screwed with this post 12-11-2013 at 02:13 PM
Old 12-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #3983
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Got out early this morning for a cycle. This was dawn - the sun coming up over the BAE shipyards on the river Clyde.....

Old 12-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #3984
afk40
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat View Post
Cheers ...It IS a great riding venue for sure ...... for seven months of the year (April - Oct).... and when it isn't raining ...which it does a lot.
But when all comes together right - it's a 'biking heaven'.

No fire ants to worry about here....but we do have our very own midges which can be a pain sometimes if you are sitting outside on a still summer evening.

I guess we are lucky that we can wear our full leather kit, even in summer without melting though. It's almost unheard of to see temps of anything over 30C. In fact, I think the hottest day we had this past year was the day Sarah and I rode to Sanna Bay and it hit 30C.
Kamchat an all you midge lovers..or should i put it those the midges love... well ive got the ultimate weapon against them..you buy it from the outdoor world," GO OUTDOORS", now am trying to remember the name of it as i write it just slipped ma mind,, but it comes in a small spray bottle,,, red fur double strength an green fur half strength,,, naw i just cant rememeber what its called,, any way,, the wee bottle is around 4.95,insect repellant, something something formula. NOT JUNGLE FORMULA its very smelly when it goes on, but after a few mins the smell goes away, the midge will maybe land on ye but will not bite,, ive tried everythig on the market, but this works,, an if there was only one midge in teh highlands o scotland it wid find me an bite me, they love me.my friend showers in teh mornin then puts it on, an it usualy does for the day.. i just put it on when i was out an about.. i never had a bite all summer...an thats a first.... an by the way,,, i love sanna bay.. been there many times.. that small road in there from the corran ferry is murder eh. but enjoyable
afk40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:59 AM   #3985
bubu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Midges are more awful than mosquitoes...

So agressive......
Old 12-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #3986
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 552

The sky is on fire, great shot, worth gettin' out of bed for.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #3987
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by afk40 View Post
Kamchat an all you midge lovers..or should i put it those the midges love... well ive got the ultimate weapon against them..you buy it from the outdoor world," GO OUTDOORS", now am trying to remember the name of it as i write it just slipped ma mind,, but it comes in a small spray bottle,,, red fur double strength an green fur half strength,,, naw i just cant rememeber what its called,, any way,, the wee bottle is around 4.95,insect repellant, something something formula. NOT JUNGLE FORMULA its very smelly when it goes on, but after a few mins the smell goes away, the midge will maybe land on ye but will not bite,, ive tried everythig on the market, but this works,, an if there was only one midge in teh highlands o scotland it wid find me an bite me, they love me.my friend showers in teh mornin then puts it on, an it usualy does for the day.. i just put it on when i was out an about.. i never had a bite all summer...an thats a first.... an by the way,,, i love sanna bay.. been there many times.. that small road in there from the corran ferry is murder eh. but enjoyable

Thanks for the tip, - will look out for some of that stuff . Luckily I haven't been bothered too much by the dreaded midges ...just occasionally when sitting outside at the Carbeth on still summer evenings ... and then we have tended to use Avon 'Skin so Soft' which sort of works....up to a point.

Yeah the Sanna road is something else - 60 miles (counting both ways) of single track, strewn with gravel in places, can start to get tiring, especially if you do it on a roasting hot day. But still worth it to get to Sanna bay... with some fantastic scenery along the way.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #3988
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu View Post
Midges are more awful than mosquitoes...

So agressive......

The problem is the way they 'swarm' in such numbers unlike the bigger mosquitoes ...and if you swat them it attracts even more of the buggers .....
Old 12-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #3989
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeymike View Post

The sky is on fire, great shot, worth gettin' out of bed for.

Cheers We were up early to beat the rain that was forecast to arrive and last all day. But the sunrise was a nice bonus. .....plus the roads are always nice and empty early on a Sunday morning.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #3990
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer