Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2014, 02:55 AM   #4441
Tuska
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
hi Kam, the missus and I are coming over to uk for month in aug to tour by bike, going to classic tt in isle of mann!! picked up a fjr and 650 bandit cheap off e bay, was bit of a scarey exercise! what are the must do roads of Scotland? got any sugestions for best route to spend couple weeks tripping round on? cheers glen
Tuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #4442
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu View Post
it is a big good feeling to receive a congratulation from the Boss of the art

'The Boss of the art' - ha ha! - awesome! Thanks bubu I like it ...I'm going to have to get a name badge with that on. It's like one of those titles Idi Amin would have awarded himself.
Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #4443
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuska View Post
hi Kam, the missus and I are coming over to uk for month in aug to tour by bike, going to classic tt in isle of mann!! picked up a fjr and 650 bandit cheap off e bay, was bit of a scarey exercise! what are the must do roads of Scotland? got any sugestions for best route to spend couple weeks tripping round on? cheers glen

Hi Tuska

Great to hear that you are coming to tour the UK.

As for good roads in Scotland ? - There are so many it's hard to choose.

But for 'must do' roads I reckon the majority of these are to be found in the highlands to the north west of Glasgow ..heading up the west coast.

If you have plenty of time I would certainly recommend doing the run from Glasgow right up to Durness on the north coast.

Take the A82 from Glasgow north up the side of Loch Lomond up to Crianlarich (check out the inside of the Drovers Inn at Ardlui on the way..Scotland's oldest Inn). Continue on the A82 via Tyndrum and The Green Welly (heaving with bikes at dry weekends) on up through Glen Coe, crossing the bridge at Ballachulish to Fort William. Then continue north and turn off onto the A87 to Dornie where you must stop and check out Eilean Donan Castle (pics on first page of this thread).....soon after turn north again onto the A890 past Lochcarron... keep heading on .... to the A832 which joins the A835....follow the A835 to Ullapool and then north on the A835 till it joins the A837 head north past Ardvreck Castle after which you turn onto the A894 north again... cross the bridge at Kylesku (stunning views)..and continue through fantastic scenery to the A838 and continue to Durness on the north coast. At Durness continue along the coast heading east to check out Loch Eriboll.

If you get decent weather this trip is a stunning 'must do' ride in my humble opinion.... 300 miles of 'heaven'.

There are may other roads worth seeing ...but this ride is awesome. ... map below:-

https://goo.gl/maps/9kcT9

and this short video filmed on this route should give you a taste .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prWFHbfAFwA

Kamchat screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 02:34 PM
Old 05-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #4444
bubu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat View Post
'The Boss of the art' - ha ha! - awesome! Thanks bubu I like it ...I'm going to have to get a name badge with that on. It's like one of those titles Idi Amin would have awarded himself.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #4445
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Some more of the new mural......from Monday...

Old 05-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #4446
CuberBob
Starter

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat View Post
Some more of the new mural......from Monday...

Kam,
Is your bike ok? Looks like it was a little scared and made a mess on the sidewalk. You know, the solution to this is proper socialization. You must let it meet other bikes. Become accustomed to having other vehicles around it. Don't let your bike remain scared of strangers!

I know that your fans globally will help in any way possible. We know the pain of having incontinent scooters. We'll help you through this...

Bob

RIP -80 KZ750, 09 Ninja EX500
CuberBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #4447
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuberBob View Post
Kam,
Is your bike ok? Looks like it was a little scared and made a mess on the sidewalk. You know, the solution to this is proper socialization. You must let it meet other bikes. Become accustomed to having other vehicles around it. Don't let your bike remain scared of strangers!

I know that your fans globally will help in any way possible. We know the pain of having incontinent scooters. We'll help you through this...

Bob

Hi Bob,

Ha ha - the irony is that my bike actually IS slightly 'incontinent' at the moment! - But far from being caused by lack of 'socialization' it was caused by the exact opposite - getting too intimate with a Ducati 1198 through some bends which fired a stone through the gixxer's radiator. The annoying thing is I had a new radiator guard waiting to be fitted at the time but put it off till the new fairing panel arrived (on order after my incident last month) ...... Luckily it's a small hole and will probably be plugged with some 'liquid metal' type putty (worked fine on my last two gixxers)...... a new radiator would be £500!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #4448
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

On Sunday Graeme and I rode up to Strathyre for a 'bacon roll' at the Broch Café ...locals on here will be pleased to learn that it has just had outside awnings fitted to it's upgraded patio area ...this means you can sit outside shaded from the sun (or if we are being more realistic - covered from the rain!)...

It's a nice place to have breakfast and enjoy the view......

Ours weren't the only bikes there ....

..a pair of Dutch couples were there on bikes too.....

Old 05-08-2014, 03:43 AM   #4449
Tuska
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
cheers for that route plan Kam ,will add it to our list !
Tuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:54 PM   #4450
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuska View Post
cheers for that route plan Kam ,will add it to our list !

No worries, ...if you need any more info or assistance with your trip just let me know
Old 05-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #4451
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

With a shitty weekend of weather forecast I got out for a wee run on the bike last night (the new fairing panel and indicator are now fitted, together with a radiator guard - better late than never!)

Stopped by in the east end of the city to snap some pics ...

Glasgow Cathedral...

Old 05-10-2014, 12:03 AM   #4452
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Across the road - the oldest house in Glasgow built in 1471.....

Old 05-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #4453
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cathedral House Hotel ..just around the corner.....

The Tolbooth Steeple - seven stories high and built in 1625....it was here that witches, thieves and murderers were executed by hanging in the 'good old days'

Old 05-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #4454
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Saturday ..and despite a crap forecast the afternoon turned out nice ..and found us out walking up Conic Hill by Balmaha ....

Old 05-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #4455
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sunday ..and with an improved forecast we were out for a morning run back up to the Broch Café in Strathyre.....Only four of us as quite a few of the guys are already away for the weekend in Lochaline on the bikes.

Mike turned up on his Vstrom 650 instead of the Blackbird for a change ...

Gary turned up on his new S1000RR ...at first glance it looked just like the old one (recently trashed on a Sunday run on the Strathyre road) ...except when you started to look closer ....

..little things like £3,000 carbon wheels .....

The previous owner had bought it new and spent £9,500 on 'extras' .....then done just 300 miles on it before trading it in for a Panigale Superleggera!