Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2011, 02:28 AM   #1276
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200B View Post
Nice to see you got a new bike and nice to see you continuing this badass thread!
How are you liking the new GSXR 1000? I'm thinking of picking one up in the next couple of weeks, there are some good deals to be had on the leftover 2011 models right now.

Hi there, I am liking it a lot ..... but then I knew I would - it's a lot like my old K5 .... a bit less grunt below 6000 rpm ...but more 'ooomph' above it. But you are right - It's the cracking deals on the 2011's that swayed it for me ..... for the money I reckon it is the best buy right now.
Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:20 AM   #1277
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRider2B View Post
Jumped on your thread, spun through a couple pages and found I had to go back and start at page #1 ---- LOVIN' it and glad I jumped back.

Cool to see you started on a "second hand rd250" back when you were 18...

That was my 1st bike too. Way back in 1982 I was going to college, had a summer job but couldn't afford a car and bought a used Yamaha RD 250 for $500 --- purely for practical reasons. Had to be at work at 7:00am, Landscaping job, and found myself leaving an hour early to ride empty winding, twisting, sweeping, forested back roads (Could've been there in 10 minutes if I'd wanted to, but where's the fun in that??? Guess it wasn't just "practical' anymore...). Rode it to work and on weekends for two summers and sold my $500 bike for $750 after two years of pure blissful use!!! Just may be the best "Deal" I've ever had in my life!

Graduation, a "real" job, the "Real World", Marriage and Kids all seemed to step in on my fun and I gave up Riding for over 20 years (gonna guess I'm not the only one with that tale on AdvRider...). An unfortunate Divorce (in many ways, yet not so unfortunate in some other ways...) and an old college roommate and GREAT friend of 20+ years who "loaned" me a bike he never rides anymore, re-opened the door to Riding again and it has been a Blissful, Eye-Opening, Soulful, Help-Me-Keep-My-Head-On-My-Shoulders re-awakening...

Anyway, enough of my rambling... Like many others, Thanks for your beautiful pic's, your tales, and your time and effort.

AdvRider2B
P.S. Check out my signature/quote --- it's from "The Holy Grail" --- in reference to your Monty Python/Stalker Castle reference early on in your RR. Of course it must be read with an overly dramatic and thick Scottish brogue...

..and thank you for taking the time to comment ...glad you enjoyed the pics and the thread.

It seems our lives have followed similar paths ..starting out on RD250's.... a period away from biking due to mortgages and raising families etc. ...divorce etc. etc. .... and rediscovering our passion for biking.

I'm sure there are quite a few like us out there. ....... Those RD250's were quick weren't they! ... (probably slow by 'modern day' standards) ...but the noise!, the trail of blue smoke! - all left behind in the wake of what seemed like 'warp drive' acceleration - 'happy days'.

Thanks again for the kind comments.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:32 AM   #1278
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

As you may have gathered from my reply to 'Tango2' earlier about bumping into him at the Green Welly, - we were out again yesterday..... got to make the most of what time remains before winter returns......

Old 09-05-2011, 05:51 AM   #1279
Tango2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat View Post
Tango2

'Might see you out and about at the Welly one Sunday'

What a coincidence that just two days after posting that we bump into each other up at the Welly!

Good to see you yesterday, even if it was only briefly (sorry I had to dash as the rest of my group were already leaving)... but thanks for coming over and asking 'are you Kamchat?' Lol! - It's a small world!

Hope you had a good day making the most of the dry weather on your new Ducati .... maybe you managed to get it run in?

Hopefully next time we will be able to get a proper chat up at the Welly.

The Welly yesterday ...... our group ...

That was a real laugh! Good to meet you! We hadn't intended stopping at the wellie but I was gagging for a coffee and my pal was bursting for the loo. It was just as I walked into the cafe I thought "I recognise those bikes" Hope you guys had a good day out. We'd a really brill time unfortunately we started a little late and had to be home a bit early due to family commitments. Still managed to put about 250 miles on the Duke and the tyres are well and truly scrubbed in esp on one right hander where I over cooked it somewhat and had to just grip my teeth and lean over for Scotland. Just need a couple of hundred miles more for the first service. Hope we can get some decent weather this Autumn.

Great Pics as usual.

Cheers Tango2
Tango2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #1280
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
My normally-bullet-proof 2009 KLR coasted to a freakin stop while ridiing off road on a military base on some gravel roads. Was just having fun, enjoying the day with another KLR fellow, and mine suddenly lost power and slowed to a stop for no good reason.

We tore the bike apart right there, all but removing the tank. None of the normal issues, kickstand saftey and clutch have already been bypassed. Gotta be a dreaded KLR wire rub issue under the tank or behind the fairing I suspect. Fuses all OK, but no sparky.

There goes my holiday Monday I guess, chasing wire woes.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #1281
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango2 View Post
That was a real laugh! Good to meet you! We hadn't intended stopping at the wellie but I was gagging for a coffee and my pal was bursting for the loo. It was just as I walked into the cafe I thought "I recognise those bikes" Hope you guys had a good day out. We'd a really brill time unfortunately we started a little late and had to be home a bit early due to family commitments. Still managed to put about 250 miles on the Duke and the tyres are well and truly scrubbed in esp on one right hander where I over cooked it somewhat and had to just grip my teeth and lean over for Scotland. Just need a couple of hundred miles more for the first service. Hope we can get some decent weather this Autumn.

Great Pics as usual.

Cheers Tango2

Well done on spotting, and recognising our bikes from the thread. Thanks, we had a great day with no mishaps ...... went to Inveraray, Lochgilphead then back down to Dunoon to catch the ferry. I'm with you on the hopes for a decent autumn - although I'm not too confident after the worst winter on record followed by the worst summer for 18 years! ..... fingers crossed though.

Some from the A83 Lochgilphead - Inveraray road (what a great road it is).

Old 09-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #1282
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Till-Tuesday View Post
My normally-bullet-proof 2009 KLR coasted to a freakin stop while ridiing off road on a military base on some gravel roads. Was just having fun, enjoying the day with another KLR fellow, and mine suddenly lost power and slowed to a stop for no good reason.

We tore the bike apart right there, all but removing the tank. None of the normal issues, kickstand saftey and clutch have already been bypassed. Gotta be a dreaded KLR wire rub issue under the tank or behind the fairing I suspect. Fuses all OK, but no sparky.

There goes my holiday Monday I guess, chasing wire woes.

Sorry to hear you are having 'wire woes' ..... used to be a constant problem with bikes back in the 70's and 80's ...mine were always patched with lots of electrical tape. Fortunately it doesn't seem to be an issue with most modern bikes.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #1283
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 551
Do these cycling shorts make my ass look big???
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #1284
BlackStallion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
OMG! It took my whole day to eagerly go over all the pages of this astonishing thread. John, you are the MAN. I want to buy a superbike and go out and ride it all day long. Congrats with your new gixxer, and glad you're back on the saddle! Kudos to you and your riding fellas.
BlackStallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #1285
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeymike View Post
Do these cycling shorts make my ass look big???

Got to love the Lycra - probably not great protection if you fall off though.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #1286
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStallion View Post
OMG! It took my whole day to eagerly go over all the pages of this astonishing thread. John, you are the MAN. I want to buy a superbike and go out and ride it all day long. Congrats with your new gixxer, and glad you're back on the saddle! Kudos to you and your riding fellas.

Thanks ! 'Really appreciate the 'thumbs up' on the thread and love that it made you want to get a superbike and join in the fun....... and yes - you should - you won't regret it .

Well done on doing the thread in 'one sitting' - that's a lot of pics to get through! ......

..and here's some more from Sunday ....

Back in Inveraray ..

Catching the Dunoon Ferry ..

Old 09-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #1287
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,556
Off topic a little but a photo of My Triumph with my mates black one behind....don't mean to hijack

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #1288
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 733
So, now it hit me.
Or better - I hit that car, right between the eyes..

I'm just back from hospital and I can tell you that I am the luckiest man in the world. I should definitely be dead.
Instead I have a bruised knee and ankle and a few torn muscles. Nothing really serious. Crazy. Absolutely unbelievable.
I somehow came off in a tight turn and frontally crashed in a car that was coming from the opposite direction.
I have no idea how I got out of that, nor do I have any idea how it happenend, and why.

I am yo glad to be in one piece and alive.
No bike no more for me, no car no more for the poor guy whom I hit.
But nobody got seriously hurt.

So guys, please take care, alright?
It can be over in a second...

BTW: we did some shots with our new wee cam a week or two ago while riding, Some of them are quite cool! Maybe I'll post some, as a an obituary to my dead Fazer.. :) There will be no riding for me in a while, I fear...

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #1289
1200B
Ride everywhere...

Oddometer: 282
Kamchat what radiator guard did you go with?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #1290
AKLiz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat View Post
Good to hear from you Liz ...... glad you like the pic ..... hope you have been getting out on the bikes ..
won't be too long now before they will be coming back in the lounge
It's been a rainy summer here too, but I've managed some rides (not nearly as much as I'd like though). Apologies in advance for the hijack, but here's a photo or two of my adventures.

Just up the road from my house is a scenic pullout...makes a nice stop on the way back from my favorite, practically deserted 'track'....a freshly paved road with some nice corners, fantastic for practicing! This one's my Ducati M696...

The next two are actually from last season - the husband and I did a two week trip up and down the Alcan. First, one of the rare photos of me (I'm usually behind the camera) and my BMW F650GS, at our campsite at Liard Hot Springs...

And the closest thing I have to an 'action shot', except that I was stopped waiting for a pilot car to go through a construction zone...

Liz, who is hoping to get some decent weather before it's winter again.
AKLiz is offline   Reply With Quote