Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #1381
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by chammyman View Post
the unmarked bike I think is a Kwak.

Have you been up the Titan crane? i have, pretty good. I went to the College to do my HND Auto Engineering so i got a student discount as well. I got my mate crying up there, I told him to lie on the floor and open his eyes, it seems like your falling and he freaked out

Thanks again for the info ..... No, I haven't been up the crane yet ...I think it is only open during the summer so I will need to give it a go next season.
Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #1382
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat View Post
Well, you are going to feel 'right at home' when you come over here then ...... (just wetter! ) ... Thanks for the comment - glad you are still enjoying the pics and hope you are healing well.

Cheers

Kam / John
Well, I shall certainly give it a try one of these days.
Btw, it can be pretty wet here as well, don't be mistaken. I live in a wee valley that is very green - for a good reason..
As for the leg, these bruises take a lot of time to really heal... Still no thought of doing sports or so.

Well then, just to bridge the gap between here and the next great shots from Alba, I'm gonna show you another example of the similarity of our two riding heavens!
This is on the way up to the Col de Grand-St-Bernard, which marks one border to Italy. The photos were taken in the last week of September, but two years ago.

.....and the same place beginning of July - amazingly different:

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #1383
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeymike View Post
Whats wrong with you guys, can't catch Sarah?! She's always out in front, it must be the white boots.
Or perhaps it's just that the view is even better with her in front.
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #1384
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl View Post
Well, I shall certainly give it a try one of these days.
Btw, it can be pretty wet here as well, don't be mistaken. I live in a wee valley that is very green - for a good reason..
As for the leg, these bruises take a lot of time to really heal... Still no thought of doing sports or so.

Well then, just to bridge the gap between here and the next great shots from Alba, I'm gonna show you another example of the similarity of our two riding heavens!
This is on the way up to the Col de Grand-St-Bernard, which marks one border to Italy. The photos were taken in the last week of September, but two years ago.

.....and the same place beginning of July - amazingly different:

Beautiful pics ......... I was surprised that there seems to be more snow in July than September!
Old 10-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #1385
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclad View Post
Or perhaps it's just that the view is even better with her in front.

Well.......I may be biased.......but I can't argue with that........
Old 10-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #1386
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

We managed to snatch a quick blast up to Callander for tea (fish n chips) after work this evening ..... with rain forecast again for the rest of the weekend it might be our only chance of a decent ride for a while.....

Evening sun .......

There is someting extra special about hot fish n chips outdoors on a crisp chilly evening........... the ducks agree.....

Stevie's Ninja and my Gixxer ,,,,,,

The ducks had some competition from these goosanders who also seemed keen to share our chips

Old 10-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #1387
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Quote:
Beautiful pics ......... I was surprised that there seems to be more snow in July than September!

Yeah, in July there is usually still snow. In September not quite yet.
They only have about three "clear" months each year up there.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #1388
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Quote:
Evening sun .......

That shot is a bliss!
Two of the most beautiful things combined - evening sun and autumn colours.... Just gorgeous.
You should see all the vineyards in autumn over here. You wouldn't believe how many different colours wine can have.

I hope you will be able to give us some more beautiful autumn pictures!

And don't you tell me anything about "last decent rides for a while"... ha!

Old 10-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #1389
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, in July there is usually still snow. In September not quite yet.
They only have about three "clear" months each year up there.

I can remember encountering plenty of snow in July too in Andorra once (on our way to MotoGP in Barcelona years ago).
Old 10-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #1390
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That shot is a bliss!
Two of the most beautiful things combined - evening sun and autumn colours.... Just gorgeous.
You should see all the vineyards in autumn over here. You wouldn't believe how many different colours wine can have.
I hope you will be able to give us some more beuatiful autumn pictures!

And don't you tell me anything about last decent rides for a while... ha!

Thanks again....... I have to agree about the 'evening sun' at this time of year..... unfortunately we don't seem to be getting much of it - mostly rain and dark clouds Trust me ..I will keep on riding as long as the weather holds out ...... but winter is not far away .... We could really feel the temps drop once the sun went down on our way back tonight.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #1391
chammyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
weather was good yesterday but it was freezing.

I went, Balloch Dukes Pass, Callander (bottom car park no one there when I arrived), up to the Welly then back down the Lomond Side.

Was freezing from Callander on. There was a bit of rain at Tarbert.

Sunday afternoon is meant to be ok, I'll believe it when I see it though.
1988 Honda CB 350 SG
chammyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:47 AM   #1392
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chammyman View Post
weather was good yesterday but it was freezing.

I went, Balloch Dukes Pass, Callander (bottom car park no one there when I arrived), up to the Welly then back down the Lomond Side.

Was freezing from Callander on. There was a bit of rain at Tarbert.

Sunday afternoon is meant to be ok, I'll believe it when I see it though.

Aye, it was pretty cold once the sun went down ..... we were at the Callander car park at 6.00 - 6.30, apart from our three bikes there was another group of about six bikes there. But the car park was mostly empty, hence we were the main attention for all the ducks, lol!

No rain for us ...but we could see the rain clouds off to the west .... we managed to beat the rain back to Glasgow.

Re: Sunday afternoon - the trouble now is that if it has been raining in the morning it takes ages for the roads to dry out with the current low temps...
Old 10-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #1393
Aargee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Back again with questions...

Well...you showed us how to take pics from a moving bike; but at what speeds do you take them? Any speeds?

Reason to ask is because, I'm prepping up for a trip in few weeks from now & the route is scenic & I'd like to take lots of pics without stopping too much. So any tips, pointers, guidance, advice, suggestion (anything left huh!!!) are a great welcome. TIA.
Aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:21 AM   #1394
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aargee View Post
Well...you showed us how to take pics from a moving bike; but at what speeds do you take them? Any speeds?

Reason to ask is because, I'm prepping up for a trip in few weeks from now & the route is scenic & I'd like to take lots of pics without stopping too much. So any tips, pointers, guidance, advice, suggestion (anything left huh!!!) are a great welcome. TIA.

Hi Aargee..... regarding your question about speed.......... No, not quite 'any speed' lol!...it depends on factors like road condition and weather (the bumpier the road and the stronger the wind the harder it becomes ) but as a general rule I can take pics up to about 130 mph maximum, - after which it just starts to get too 'hairy' for me hanging on and riding with one hand. ... obviously most of my pics are taken at slower speeds - 50 - 90 mph probably.

As for tips and guidance - my first piece of advice would have to be - 'Don't do it!' - it's probably not a very safe / smart thing to do. I am an idiot and I would hate anyone to get hurt following my bad example.

However, given that you have chosen to buy and ride a motorbike in the first place probably indicates that you are not the kind of person who will be easily put off doing something just because others warn you it could be dangerous!

So, if you are determined to try taking hand held pics whilst riding here are some pointers I have learnt along the way ......

1. I would recommend practicing riding one handed for a bit without the camera or taking pics first till you get used to handling the bike this way .

2. Wear the camera attached to a lanyard round your neck so that you can drop it and grab both the bars if you suddenly have to ...this has saved my camera on several occasions. Make sure the lanyard has a weak link in it (mine has a plastic fastner) that would snap in an accident rather than strangle/decapitate you!

3. Make sure the lanyard is long enough for you to hold the camera at full arm stretch ..but not so long as to allow the camera to hit the ground if dropped.

4. Use a tank bag / tank pad to stow the camera in between pics allowing you to still use both hands to ride most of the time, - the camera can remain attached to the lanyard all this time ...... for this reason I use a tank pad that is held on by magnets only to the tank ..so again, in the event of an accident, the whole lot will easily come free if you should fall off.

5. Now some bad news - to work the on/off and shutter button you will probably have to ride without a glove on your left hand - this is not good because if you fall off you will probably lose a lot of skin off this hand as I found out in my last 'off' ....... the good news is that the skin on the palm of your hands heals quicker and better than the rest of your 'normal' skin although this won't be much comfort during the first few sleepless nights when your hand feels like it is permanently 'on fire' ...... it would probably make sense to customise a glove by cutting the end of the index finger off so the rest of the hand is still protected.

6. If you can't include a bike in front of you in the pic ..(if you are riding alone) .I feel it often looks better if you include something of your own bike in the pic too (the clocks, a mirror or your front wheel etc. ...this links the viewer to the whole 'sense and feeling of riding' ..... in my opinion.

7. Sorry, this should have been no.1 - Always make sure you are watching the road ahead! Use your pehipheral vision to watch what you are doing with the camera..... but concentrate on the road first, foremost and mainly! You will be surprised how easy it is to drift off the road or across a double line into oncoming traffic if you start looking at what you are doing with the camera! - This almost happened to me a couple of times in the early days ..and it sure gives you a 'wake up' warning!

8. I find that some of the best pics are taken holding the camera down low ...stretching my arm down (or down and outwards in a bend) so the camera is closer to the road.... this often tends to blur the tarmac whilst keeping the subject (bike in front) in focus...
giving a better feeling of the movement/speed involved.

9. You can take backward facing shots easier by simply maintaining your normal hold on the camera and using it upside down ..... this means you can quickly and easily toggle between forward and rear facing shots without changing your grip on the camera (assuming your shutter button is on top of the camera like on most compact digital cameras) .... the 'upside down' pics can just be flipped back on your computer.

As I am just at work on my lunch break I will have to stop there for now ...but I will add more pointers for you in future by editing this post.

Cheers Kam / John

Kamchat screwed with this post 10-12-2011 at 08:00 AM
Old 10-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #1395
Aargee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Kamchat - Wonderful & I'm really sorry that I'm unable to rate your post 5* or this thread 5* once again.

BTW, I'm not a new rider :) I've been riding for over 14+ years now (aged 35). Unfortunately, I'm from one of the third world country where the 250cc motorcycles are considered powerful & litre class motorcycles costs about an year of my pay cheque (considering the fact that I'm paid more than handsome, so you can imagine the rest of the gang).

One of my recent ride for your pursual - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727815 & I'm at guilt of not finding time to complete it

BTW, you've precisely addressed one issue of mine...
Quote:
to work the on/off and shutter button you will probably have to ride without a glove on your left hand - this is not good because if you fall off you will probably lose a lot of skin off this hand as I found out in my last 'off' ....... the good news is that the skin on the palm of your hands heals quicker and better than the rest of your 'normal' skin although this won't be much comfort during the first few sleepless nights when your hand feels like it is permanently 'on fire' ...... it would probably make sense to customise a glove by cutting the end of the index finger off so the rest of the hand is still protected.
I guess, I'll have to learn/practice taking pics using left hand + gloves on hands.
BTW, I've Canon S5IS -
Aargee is offline   Reply With Quote