Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
ManxBerg OP
Rallye Raid

Oddometer: 164
Tuareg Rallye 2010-Shed to Sahara and back again!

Well the Dakar is on again and everyone has got Rallye fever again. I love the Dakar and always have. If I won the Advrider lottery (see another thead) and rode in it, it would be unbelievable.

However like most I'm a normal guy and a hobby rider. I have a real job, a beautiful wife (she might read this), a very real mortgage and a baby boy on the way (due in May). These things amongst others mean it would take the most amazing amount of singlemindedness for me to sacrifice enough things, for long enough, that I could realistically ride in the Dakar.

I have ridden motorcycles for as long as I can remember. Since the age of 9 i've ridden Trials, Enduro, Beach races, MX, on the road, Toured europe 2 up etc. I love all bikes and Live on the Isle of Man the home road racing (If you've never seen the TT put it on the list now!).

In 2007 a little disallussioned with Enduro's, I started to look seriously at riding in a desert Rallye. I started making contacts in the UK for advice in where to start and met some great people. This ultimately led in 2008 to my desert debut in the Tuareg Rallye. (The route there is another story)
The Tuareg is a great event, a proper rallye but one where if you suffer a mechanical problem you can still miss the day, fix it and start the next day (albeit with severe time penalties). My biggest nightmare is spending all that money to go to a Rallye like the Dakar or Pharoans, and break down on the 1st day. It can happen, did anyone see the Honda on fire in scrutineering this year?!! Heartbreaking.
That event went great and despite never having ridden on Dunes, or used an ICO or roadbook before I finished in 19th, with a couple of top ten stage results! I met some great people and knew then I would visit the Desert again.

In 2010 I have re-entered the Tuareg Rallye, and over the next few weeks my intention is to describe my preparations, my rallye bike build, and the event itself on Advrider. Hopefully it will show how it is possible to ride on a tight budget. I will not be using any mecasystems stuff or a 690 KTM but if Santa is listening "come on, I didn't ask for socks".
All my equiptment is 2nd hand so expect a tale of Ebay purchases, evenings in sheds and hopefully some great adventures.
Kieran
Old 01-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
ManxBerg OP
Rallye Raid

Some pics of my KTM 450 EXC Rallye used in the 2008 Tuareg rallye. Cost all in 2500. Finished 19th on this bike.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
Pete_911
Nomad

Oddometer: 115
Good spirit!

You got my atention!

- Honda NX 650 X-Raid
- Honda NX 400 Adv
Pete_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,974
sweet
Old 01-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,111
make it happen... This is what ive been mulling over in my head for a couple yrs and now racing desert ironman after some stage rally experience last yr...now if I can come up with the entry im gold but the 13yr old is growing out of bikes yearly... NOT to mention clothing and other sporting equiptment... as rob schnider puts so aptly in adam sandler movies .. YOU CAN DO IT..
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,472
Nice. Looking forward to following your progress.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
mcc66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Look forward to reading this. Thanks for making the effort to share this with us.

mcc66
Michael
mcc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
Fronnzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Thank you in advance. I look forward to it.

British Columbia, Canada

"How hard can it be?"
Fronnzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:13 AM   #9
ManxBerg OP
Rallye Raid

Thanks guy, I hope to update this regularly with lots of pics. I won't dwell on the 2008 Tuareg rallye to much, as this is a tale of the preparation for this years 2010 Rallye.
After I returned from Morocco lots of people asked me if I'd had a good time. The honest answer to this was I didn't know. It had been very hard, I'd got blisters on my hand that hurt a lot and the event takes so much concentration that i'd had little chance to take it all in. You ride all day, fix/maintain the bike, eat, prepare the Nav stuff for tomorrow, sleep and repeat. The problems with Rallye's is not the riding, it's having the capacity to ride, navigate and make good decisions when you need to. If you ride fast you can get back 10mins, if you made bad decisions you get lost or crash and both will lose you way more time.

I had sold my enduro and road bike to pay for this project and was left with some new friends, great memories, an empty bank balance, and a desert Rallye bike. With not too much trouble later I had removed all the Rallye gear and had a KTM 450EXC to be my race and Trail bike for the year. See pic
Old 01-11-2010, 03:27 AM   #10
ManxBerg OP
Rallye Raid

Some time later (early 2009) some friends of mine showed an interest in doing a desert rallye too and suggested that we should go in 2010. I had already been looking at doing another Rallye and had considered the Shamrock, UAE desert Challenge, Rallyes in Libya, El chott etc etc. There are lots of Rallyes that aren't the Dakar out there.
My friends were keen on doing the Tuareg as it offered the best value and after I'd done it in 2008 they liked what they'd seen and what I'd told them. I had no problems with going back, if anything I was looking for an excuse to do another event and this was it. We got our entries in and started to plan how this was going to work.
I'm looking forward to doing this event again and hope to have a more relaxed ride enjoying the social side to rallye's a bit more.

check out http://www.tuareg-rallye.com/ for more info on this Rallye including a video.

To anyone thinking of doing a desert rally can I suggest getting The Chasing Dakar book as it is a great place to start.
http://www.chasingdakar.com/
Old 01-11-2010, 03:38 AM   #11
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Great thread, I'm looking forward to following your preparation.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:07 AM   #12
ManxBerg OP
Rallye Raid

As Background here are some pics of me in the past. I'm no David Knight just a good National Clubman level rider. The sort of guy who having just turned 30 is never going to make a living from it, but will always be there riding.

My first bike a TY80 aged abou 8/9yrs. I loved that bike.

Competed in Trials as a kid until about 18, still ride occasionally but without a trials bike at the moment.

Since then with a few breaks for University and work it's been Enduro and Rallye's here in the Isle of Man and in the UK.

Where did 21 years go??
Old 01-11-2010, 06:59 AM   #13
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
In.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #14
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
COOL!
(this thread reminds me of some other guy on this forum )

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec

schattat screwed with this post 01-11-2010 at 08:41 AM
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #15
ManxBerg OP
Rallye Raid

I have to admit after lurking for ages on this site and threads like yours SCHATTAT inspired me to actually write my own thread. I like your style and hope our paths cross in a Desert one day. I like the fact that both our bikes are work in progress with the Rallye's starting in less than 2 months. I've started to pull my finger out now that Christmas and New year are out of the way.
As usual the Dakar being on has raised everyone's interest in Rallye raid and hopefully people like you and I can use that enthusiasm to get people interested in the other Rallye's around the world. Whilst the Dakar is so huge the chances of small sponsership/help for the smaller Rallye's is almost impossible.