User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
gsjam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
43l hpn nylon tank

I heard today of a friend who is is trying to fix a hole in his 43l hpn nylon tank after a off and has been told that due the properties of the plastic the nylon tanks can not welded , surely this is not true and if it is their must be another way to fix the hole .Any ideas many thanks
Old 12-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjam View Post
I heard today of a friend who is is trying to fix a hole in his 43l hpn nylon tank after a off and has been told that due the properties of the plastic the nylon tanks can not welded , surely this is not true and if it is their must be another way to fix the hole .Any ideas many thanks
Not sure what plastics the HPN tanks are made from. I'm a whitewater kayak paddler and know several people that plastic weld broken kayaks.

Or, might try West System epoxy
Old 12-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,302
West System G/Flex

G/Flex Torture test on a plastic kayak

I think I'd reinforce it with some kevlar or carbon fiber cloth.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,655
I believe it's polyethylene.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
ducsingle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
I believe most kayaks are polyethylene. Not sure about the HPN tank, but I think the Touratech tank is the same thing - - - and those are described as nylon?
ducsingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjam View Post
Are you sure it's nylon? Once you determine the material (you may already be certain since you specifically stated nylon) repair options may be clearer.

This 43 litre tank was made out of both polyethylene and nylon.

Nylon: yellowish in color, translucent, paintable

Polyethylene: black, red or white, opaque, cannot be painted reliably (paint often releases over time)

Acerbis sold both versions for years (the nylon tank was 40% - 50% more expensive). I believe that Acerbis was the original manufacturer. I checked with them a month ago but they no longer sell this product.

If you don't get anywhere on this list you may want to check with the US distributor for Acerbis for repair options.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2...S-R80GS-R100GS

Made of non-dentable, automotive-grade nylon composite material that can be lacquered over or painted (tank comes unpainted in a slightly see-through natural plastic color).

Note: A similar looking tank is available from other suppliers in a polyethylene version and cannot be painted. The tank sold by Touratech is made of nylon (allowing it to be painted) and holds German TUV certification that it is road legal, it is not known if the polyethylene version can meet that certification.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,237
Nathan Mende of boxerworks-service.com had his HPN tank spring a leak right at the mounting point. It appears that all the crud he'd been riding through rubbed through the tank, so now I'm very concious of cleaning that out. Anyway, he recieved a repair kit from HPN. Give him a call and I'm sure he can help you out.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,419
damn. now I got something else to worry about

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Nathan Mende of boxerworks-service.com had his HPN tank spring a leak right at the mounting point. It appears that all the crud he'd been riding through rubbed through the tank, so now I'm very concious of cleaning that out. Anyway, he recieved a repair kit from HPN. Give him a call and I'm sure he can help you out.
Wow. Two great tips.

Hmmm, maybe I need to cover those slots with duct tape (assuming you mean the two mounting points up front and down low?)
Old 12-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #10
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkens View Post
Wow. Two great tips.

Hmmm, maybe I need to cover those slots with duct tape (assuming you mean the two mounting points up front and down low?)
Yes, the 2 round plastic mounts that are attached at the frame. He said that small rocks found their way over the plastic mounts and got stuck. Friction finished the job...
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #11
espressodrinker
Cape Town Wanderer

Oddometer: 199
Nylon or Polyethylene?

It's very easy to test.
Cut a small sliver off the tank somewhere where it doesn't matter. (underneath,iff the lip, edge etc)
Burn the piece and smell the smoke coming off.
Nylon - smells of burnt hair
Polyethylene - smells of candle wax.

Polyethylene is basically a high tec wax, and nothing sticks to it. The only way to fix it is to find a plastic welder who heats the tank with a fancy hair dryer and then melts a rod of polyethylene into the crack.

I think that this can be done with a nylon tank as well, but I doubt that the repair guys would have nylon rods to use.
Lots of glues stick to Nylon, you can make your own by dissolving Nylon shavings with Liquified Phenol (get from chemist). Makes a really good glue. Specialized epoxies will also work. Go ask your local car body repair shop.
Danger - Liquified Phenyl isn't a very nice chemical and I haven't actually used this technique to fix a tank myself.
I have glued thousands of parts with it though, and it lasts for ever.
espressodrinker is offline   Reply With Quote