Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 08:59 AM   #16
moto_loco
poser extraordinaire

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by REALGRAVEROBBER

Just got my 2000 R1100R for $2700 off craigslist. My guess is that this is not old enough to be a classic, and not new enough to be blingy. Despite that this bike will tour with the best of them, it only has 5-speeds. Yet the gearing is adequate for all the riding I've done (interstate, in-city, canyons, etc.).

Any thoughts?

I think you got a hell of a deal...I didn't always like them, but they grew
on me. Two up, long distance-savvy and looks like nothing else on the road.

The seat, panniers and windscreen's cost were higher than you paid...
moto_loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #17
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6
i agree, the 1100 looks clunky next to the 1150, and especially the 1200 roadsters. they definitely improved the aesthetics of the swingarm and transmission in the later bikes.
Well, that pretty much says it...and nicer than I would've
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #18
REALGRAVEROBBER OP
LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer: 306
So much of this depends on what the goals of the rider are.

I tend to be drawn to hobbies that are purpose oriented. Motorcycling, aviation, snowmobiling, skiing, bicycling, metal fabrication ... these usually deemphasize things like asthetics of a transmission, style of blinker buttons, etc. and leave my decisions guided by asking 'does it work?'

The 1200GS, 1150GS and many other things look fancier, have a greater power/weight ratio, and some other valid features. Yet, being blessed to have owned and ridden some fine machines, I have learned to value:

-practical seat height to decrease me dropping the bike in adverse conditions.
-unit reliability
-EFI
-comfy passenger gig
-affordable
-safety (ABS, no-dive telelever, big engine)
-luggage potential
-low maintenance (shaft drive)
-and hopefully something that is a little different when my bike is lined up with 30 others.

The R1100R's really shine when held to the above factors.

I think there are so many great models available, it is hard to choose. Considering what the 1100R's offer, after riding one I think you will agree that it is hard to beat for the cost.

My $0.02

REALGRAVEROBBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #19
shikataganai
moof

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by REALGRAVEROBBER
I think there are so many great models available, it is hard to choose. Considering what the 1100R's offer, after riding one I think you will agree that it is hard to beat for the cost.

My $0.02

You did get a great deal, but the original owner didn't fare nearly as well financially! I'd argue that any of the Japanese standards from that era are realistically likely to show up on the market for less (e.g., ZRX1100R, ZRX1200R, Bandit 1200/1250).
shikataganai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #20
goatroper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Since you ask...

They are fun house mirror ugly.
goatroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #21
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigford
I don't really think this bike fits into the Road Warrior description, if truth be told

Its a bit bland and does not really stir up any emotion, or much excitement either....
Troll

Never really paid that much attention to those things..until I just looked at them in this thread...looks like a nice, well rounded, fun maching
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #22
aussybum
one scoot at a time

Oddometer: 29
hi. i own the '99.it's the same 2tone livery as the '00 but without the yellow striping. was shopping for a dualsport after owning inline4s when i chanced upon it.the color scheme attracted me and it being a bmw boxer.it's a nice ride.smooth engine.only thing the shocks have reached the end of their lives.quite bumpy ride. the torque is awesome and can really take the corners. it's my main form of transport.put a sport windscreen on and a couple of farkles like sidestand enlarger n k&N filter.
friends an family who've seen my bike say it's nice.it's a handsome bike i must say.hard to let go

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...kes/index.html
aussybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #23
weerider650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
Great bikes but the 1100R's were beat with an ugly stick. It screams old man............ The R got alot sexier on the 1150 and more so on the 1200 version.
weerider650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #24
GetYourOwn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
I have one for sale in the flea market
GetYourOwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #25
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 64,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6
i agree, the 1100 looks clunky next to the 1150, and especially the 1200 roadsters. they definitely improved the aesthetics of the swingarm and transmission in the later bikes.

the six speed didn't really get you anything though, as 1st and top gear were essentially the same. guess it gave you a choice of gears in the corners.

The tank is hideously shaped. There should never be a motorcycle that requires a 2 inch plastic strip along the bottom of the tank to make it look finished.

While I think they're a terrific motorcycle, I could never get past the one position seat and the tank.

MrsK had an 1150R and it was a fabulous bike.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #26
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_beemer
Great bikes but the 1100R's were beat with an ugly stick. It screams old man............ The R got alot sexier on the 1150 and more so on the 1200 version.
And the Rockster versions had some weird Teutonic 'tude goin' on. Gimme a Rockster variation on the 12R, and I've got problems.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #27
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatroper
They are fun house mirror ugly.
Had points I didn't like but I think looked good. Needed 5.5 gallons, REALLY.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #28
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
In a word:

It's funny looking! ........and the loopy oil cooler dealie doesn't help. It took BMW a while to hide the front suspension 'visuals', get the oil cooler put someplace normal and incorporate the tank into the design instead of looking like it got dropped on the chassis from the second floor of the Berlin plant.....great to ride, I know, but like my HP2, it's funny looking! Bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #29
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Over the holidays I bought a used 2000 R1100R ( loaded with bags, shield, heated grips & alarm) and had it shipped to my location. The previous owner, whom I spoke to, had traded it in on a Harley. Just picked it up last week & it sits in my garage waiting for about the end of March or early April so that I can ride it. Bike has been well cared for, maintenance etc up to date and is in really good shape. I like the fact that the bike looks different.

Reason I bought it was I was always attracted to BMW's and not getting any younger. I was looking for something that was more of an all around bike that was fairly light, compared to my Goldwing, and yet still capable of touring if the need arose.

I've restored a few old bikes so I'm fairly good with the wrenches but can see I have a few things to learn about this type of bike.

Not many good sites with info on these older oilheads but the early GS models shared the same driveline components so I joined this site as it has a lot of good info.
cycleman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #30
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleman2
Not many good sites with info on these older oilheads but the early GS models shared the same driveline components so I joined this site as it has a lot of good info.
Try www.r1150r.net.