Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #61
REALGRAVEROBBER OP
LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer: 321
Things changed during production run of R1100X's (to my knowledge, which at one time was shown to be incomplelete):

1.) 10/97 Transmission input shaft bearings changed from a spring-preload system, to normal ball bearings. At ~50k, they may wobble and make the seal seep. Some don't ever show this, some do. 10/97 - on they fixed it.

2.) Instruments: Several changes.

3.) ABS offered on later models. Mine has it. It's nice.

Dr. Frazier Writing
REALGRAVEROBBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #62
SDMAX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Love My R1100R

First big bike I've ever owned; bought used two months ago; I like the looks of my blue bike. It doesn't look funny and it's unique. I like unique; I like the boxer motor. BMW 4's and 2's are not the same. Torque, power, cheap. Good job!
SDMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #63
Hawk28
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
1997 R850r

My 850. FYI.
Attached Images

Hawk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #64
aussybum
one scoot at a time

Oddometer: 29
leovince

would like to know from guys who have put on aftermarket pipes namely Leo Vince if there is a significant/any impovement in performance and also in regards to the weight shed?
aussybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #65
Libertynh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Soon to be R1100R rider

The Shadow just didn't look right next to my wife's recently acquired R1200C. Wanted to move from a cruiser anyhow. Our adventures are mostly asphalt and hard packed. Short legs, 50 yo back. Put a deposit pending title on 01 R1100R w/ 8k on the clock. Same black w/ white pin striping as the C. Already has bags PIAA lighting, case guards and luggage rack. Aesthetic preferences aside everything I have read here indicates I may develop a passion for this bike.
Libertynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #66
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
One of these with a ABS and EFI at a cheap price would be a nice step up from my Nighthawk for not much coin. Is there a fairing available for it? What would a 30,000 mile example with ABS and EFI go for?

2000 ST1100 ABS
jspringator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #67
lockyv7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Great bikes we just picked up a couple of cheap ones in England, did 6000k around europe, i fitted mine with my own panniers i make and retail, will be finished with them this week and flog them to the next person ready to do it. Locky.

lockyv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #68
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,822
I liked mine, a 2000 purchased mid season at a discount. Everyone knew the 1150 was coming. A few things in the looks dept could have been better. The no-vibe power band was a bit narrow. It needed more than 5 gal. of fuel!

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #69
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,274
my wife loves hers. we've had it about 2 years and 10,000 miles. not a single problem. I'd definitely buy another one.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #70
Sanders
Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer: 661
'95

I just bought a '95 R1100R and would appreciate hearing from other owners experiences.
Currently own a '07 GS Adv and a 75 R90/6 (for sale!) So I'm not unfamiliar with R type stuff, just not to knowledgeable about this particular year and model

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #71
REALGRAVEROBBER OP
LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer: 321

Check the torque on the rear wheel once a month just to be careful. I even made a little mark with a Sharpie on the head of each bolt's outer edge so I can visually see if and of the bolts have moved. Locally 2 wheels have fallen off bikes. No grease, Loc-Tite or oil on the threads. Just clean threads torqued as per BMW specs.

My first oilhead was a 95 R1100R -- heated grips, ABS (I think).

Sold it to a friend and it's still whirring around with about 65,000 miles on it.

Apparently ... in 10/97 BMW changed the input shaft of the transmission to a different bearing type that does not obtain pre-load from a spring and tapered-race bearing. The spring-tensioned one can wiggle and knock out the oil seal on the input shaft for the transmission. Looking under pre-10/97 transmissions will quickly discover if this has happened.

Some run forever without this problem, some do this every 80,000 miles or so. Regardless, that's excellent service life.

Aside from that, I've read something on www.ibmwr.org in the technical sections about doing an 'upgrade' to the 1150 camshaft chain tensioner. It's a bolt-in task IIRC and doesn't cost much.

Now I have an 02 1150GS and I honestly can't tell the difference in the bike while riding it. Reading a ton about differences reported by folks having had both bikes for some time, the 1150's cubes, 6-speed trans, and whatever else are not significant changes ... (i.e., nearly the same highway speeds at the same RPM's, ~same MPG, feel, etc.).

I think these are a very overlooked and excellent bike (1100's and 1150's). My $0.02 having owned 3 or so.

Dr. Frazier Writing
REALGRAVEROBBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #72
Snake Doctor
Crazy Bearded F***er

Oddometer: 127
Love mine. Its my second one, had a 1999, sold it in 2005. Picked up this one 2000 last March. Put a Scout fairing on it, couldn't be happier

My old 1999 from 2005. Look familar

IBA# 55955
Snake Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #73
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,274
the only thing I'm not crazy about our 1100R is no 6th gear. on the R at 80mph on the highway, it's sitting at around 5,000 rpms. on my 1150RT, around 4,000 RPMs. on my 1150GS, around 3,700 rpms
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #74
Snake Doctor
Crazy Bearded F***er

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
the only thing I'm not crazy about our 1100R is no 6th gear. on the R at 80mph on the highway, it's sitting at around 5,000 rpms. on my 1150RT, around 4,000 RPMs. on my 1150GS, around 3,700 rpms
I have gotten mine into triple digits and the RPM's were at 6K and running like a sewing machine. Boxers do like higher revs, and 4K has always been low end of the power band. I run 85 on the interstate in 5th at around 4.7K, and have plenty of romp if I want to get on the throttle.

IBA# 55955
Snake Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #75
Poucher
Durham UK

Oddometer: 15
I won't have a bad word said about the 1100r !!

I bought an R1100r new in June 2000, that's her below,still have it and have done every mile on it from new.
I originally went to the dealers to buy an 1150 GS and one of my friends came with me, so I got the GS demo bike and my mate was given an R1100r for the afternoon.
So halfway through the ride we stopped to compare what we thought of the bikes ( I wasn't totally convinced on the GS ) and swapped over for a while.
To my mind the 1100r was a far better road ride than the GS, a lot quicker, punchier off the throttle and it handled so good, very flickable and you could fit good sticky road tyres to it.
So once back at the dealers I ordered up a new R1100r

She's been a fantastic bike, quicker than a lot of people imagine and it handles really well as I've got Ohlin's shocks on it front and rear, the quality of the whole bike is superb with the two tone paintwork and hand painted coachlines etc.
There's not a spot of rust on it anywhere, all the paint is still stuck on where it should be and after 11 years and 26,000 miles she still looks good as new.
The BMW's they are building now are not a patch on the older bikes as far as build quality goes and they are stripped down to bare basics, no extra's at all and crappy decals instead of enamel badges etc, the newer bikes look cheaply finished, plasticky things even though they cost a fortune!
I've done quite a few decent trips on it and we were in the Vosges region of France for a week in May, just loved it!
My intention is never to sell this bike, I want to keep it till I've retired so I can just potter about on it.

I've also been running a sportsbike alongside the BMW for years as well, Aprilia RSV 1000's, 954 Fireblade , stuff like that, the two bikes make a good contrast, depending what mood your in ( manic or mellow ) you can choose the bike to suit!

My last 954 Blade in France

Sure the BMW's ugly, but I suppose its like an ugly dog, ....if its yours you still love it !! and what I also like about the bike is its so unassuming looking, people get a right shock at how quick it is ( especially young'uns on 600 sportsbikes ! ) I've been all over on it and had some great times on it in the 11 years I've owned it and the more adventures we've had together the closer we've bonded.

Waiting for the ferry in Zeebrugge

On a wild stormy day complete with hailstone shower at Blakehope Nick, Kielder Forest Northumberland UK, this bike just takes everything in its stride, even a bit of gentle off road as you can see by the 11 mile gravel forest drive.

It also makes a good touring bike with panniers and drybag fitted, it managed my camping gear no problem.

Dollar camp in Scotland

Forth road bridge Scotland

As I've already mentioned, it handles real good with the Ohlin's fitted, this Dunlop Roadsmart was "toast" in just 3,700 miles, worn edge to edge, one of my mates said it looks like you've done a track day on it ,

Back tyre

TBH I ride it like a tw4t,.... waaay too fast for what it is, I'm surprised it hasn't blown up on me before now, but in the 11 years since I've had it from new, the total sum of my mechanical problems have been 2 blown tail bulbs and that's it!
I do all my own servicing on her, and its a doddle to work on, Oil changes, tappets, TB sync are all dead easy and she just runs like a Swiss watch.
I have just recently traded in my 954 Fireblade and bought a KTM 990 SMT , great bike, fantastic exciting real world ride, I'm loving it, just recently me and my son in law had a trip up to the Isle of Arran in Scotland for a quick overnight visit, he rode my 1100r and carried all our luggage in the panniers so I didn't have to bother with any luggage on the KTM.

Both of my bikes

boarding ferry

He'd ridden it before, but over the course of the three days he really got a better feel for it, he's about 18 stone ( 250 lbs ) plus our luggage and the bike took it all in its stride and still went around corners like a greased weasel!
This weekend convinced him of what a good all round bike it is, sure its a bit quirky with the weird indicators and the clonky gearbox, but in a way, that all adds to its appeal.
I'm notorious for getting bored with bikes ( had a VFR 800 for 8 months,.. too sterile! ) but I've never got bored with this funny little thing and I can honestly say that I've enjoyed every ride on it.
I think it has a bit of a "David and Goliath" thing going on with it because its amazing the amount of supposedly better bikes I've "slain" with it - Ha-Ha!

Just to digress for a moment, I've been a lurker on r1150r.net for a while and to be honest I just laugh at it sometimes.........why is it that you American guys are obsessed with the seats on your bikes??? I think they should re-name this site "Fanny's and Farkles" or are you all cursed with "Tender Tushes" ??

Once you are used to doing 80 mile days on this, any bike seat feels real good!

Pinarello seat

This is my first post on ADV rider or any American site, but I just had to leap to the defence of the R1100r, a vastly underrated and overlooked ugly duckling of a bike.
But the more you ride it, the more it gets under your skin, I love shooting off for a long weekend away on it, and the feeling of the engine underneath you just kinda "Thrumming" away, its like the heartbeat of a mechanical horse or something, its relaxing and gives you the feeling that it would run forever if it had a petrol tank big enough.

I love it,... I think I'll have it buried with me .

Poucher.
Poucher is offline   Reply With Quote