Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #76
lockyv7
dont wish it, do it.

Oddometer: 1,004
These are not 1100's but the 850's but other that the CC size there the same bike and i have a 1100 at home in Australia and didnt really feel much difference in power.

We picked up these two R850R's from e-bay last year and i built the alloy luggage here in Australia to fit my friends 1150 than carried it as hand luggage and just bolted on the frames and attached the panniers, My blue bike had 103,000 miles on it and my friends black and silver bike had 20,000 miles we did 7,000 miles in 5 weeks and not a problem. Cost us $3300 for both bikes from e-bay, these bikes are so cheap in the UK and make a great touring bike.

Cheers Locky

lockyv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #77
Drummer
BMW/Sonor

Oddometer: 83
Sold my R1100R (95) and purchased a R1200RT (05) - in a lot of ways, the 95 was superior.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #78
BeauBrown
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Mine!

I bought my 2000 R1100R earlier this year and have to say this may be one I keep forever! I love the feel and handling of the bike. I've got a scout fairing on it that adds to the look too. Great bike that really feels like "mine"! I can't ride it enough!

2000 BMW R1100R
BeauBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #79
Augje
n00b

Oddometer: 2
The r1100r is not a touring bike. It is a classic streetfighter bike, you should compare it for instance to a suzuki gsx 1200. That it is delivered with those touring handlebars and that big windshield as a cheaper option to an RT doesnt take away that deep down its a true naked bike. A bike that can be styled and customized like no other BMW.

I have put clubman racing bars on my 96 R1100R, black RS fork protectors, a 1100GS remus grand prix without db-killer. No windscreen. It's classic black, i sprayed the rims black. And it looks like a real tough MF! And with the Remus it sounds mean and rough.

Just look how the RxxxxR line developed. Look at the R1200R. It's definately no touring bike. Put a big windshield on that and you have an odd looking streetbike and no touring bike:).

If i want a tour or commuter bike, i would have an R1150RT or 1150GS. But everything is personal taste. So call it what you want and use it as you like.

And why is the R1100R so overlooked? Its not, it was a bestseller

Greetings to you all.

Augje screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 03:04 PM Reason: ad picture
Augje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #80
BalancePoint
Mucker

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
are r1100r bikes having spline, rear end and hall sensor problems like the 1100gs or rt models???
You can be pretty sure that the HES will fail eventually on the R1100R. It's a good idea if the history of a used bike is unknown to go ahead and replace it rather than waiting for what is inevitable. Not really a big deal. As most know it's actually the wire that fails due to getting brittle over time and then one day it rains and... you're stopped dead.

The input shaft seal will generally weep gear lube into the boot at the connection from the swingarm to the final drive. Most people just keep an eye on it and consider it a quirk of the brand. It's kind of a pain in the ass to fix and is likely to start weeping again soon enough.

The final drives don't seem to fail on the 'r's as often, for no discernible reason other than perhaps because the bike is less common than RT's and other models of the era, and maybe a bit lighter.

It's really a pretty straightforward, useful, unglamorous bike. 80hp, nice torque curve, easy to customize and maintain, nothing to worry over. Unpretentious, which is cool in my book.

This 1998 was mine for about 25,000 miles.

BalancePoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #81
Augje
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I do everything myself on this bike, except transmission problems. Thats why i bought this bike from an official BMW dealer. I had a very expensive time consuming repair under garantee: in fifth gear it sometimes skipped a beat. First time this scared the shit out of me at 140 km/h on the highway.
While it was under repair the dealer gave me a replacement bike for 4 weeks, a R1200R. This bike felt much lighter, and easier to handle. But i was glad to have my R1100R back. HP and torque wise not much of a difference. Same goes for GS, RS and RT models.

I just replaced leaking fork seals after 17 years. Also changed the rear brake pads. A year ago i changed the front tire. Valve adjustment was never necessary, nore synchronisation. In lower gear it drives great. Around town with a lot of stopping, my hands get a little sore tho.

Oil change i do every year. I have 10w40 in it now. But i will go back to 20w50 because the 10w40 is a little bit to thin. Engine sweats more.

With the Grand Prix muffler type 130 i had to do no changes to the potmeter or chipsetting.

The fuelpump is making a lot of noise, first it was allready after 120 km with a full tank. Last time it started with the wining sound at 250 km. If it comes back after 120 km i will take the tank of and change it. I will use then a cheaper alternative fuel pump (for cars, but identical).

The ABS doesnt work with a cold engine, only after maybe 100 km. This happens when the battery is a few years old. You can give the ABS its own power supply (shortwiring) so the power doesnt all go to the starting engine. But even without ABS the brakes just work fine.

Here and there cables and rubbers brittle, but if you have a good R1100R nothing more is needed then an annual do it yourself service. O yeah, when you are a rain rider i would definately change the brake oil of the main caliper every two years.

greetings to all BMW lovers.

Augje screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 03:16 AM
Augje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #82
WineGuyd
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Just joined the "orphanage"!

I've been a Jap straight 4 owner all my life but after taking a break from bikes for 22 years I recently decided to get a bike again and for some unexplainable reason I got the bug for a boxer. I don't know much about Beemers so I ended up going for the cheapest BMW I could get my hands on which turned out to be this 1996 R1100R with 17k miles(verified) that I won on ebay for $2500. It's a whole new riding experience for me and for the most part I like it. But I'm finding out quickly that the R1100R is definitely the "illegitimate child" that no one wants to admit is part of the elite family...which kind of make me love it even more. I'm very frustrated with the lack of custom seating options as well as the fact that so much stuff is available for the R1150R.

My big question to the forum is if anyone knows if an R1150R speedster Flyscreen will fit my pre-facelift R100R.

WineGuyd screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 02:40 PM
WineGuyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #83
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 681
Considering a '96 R850R, looks to be in very good condition.
Do they ride and feel flickable yet planted like my airhead R100GS did. That was the most fun, most natural cornering bike I have owned for the twisties till the trans went bad and it went away.

I have heard it said these are roomier than the R1150 and R1200R, is this true?? I am 6'3" with a 32" inseam/tall torso. I don't mind a bit of knee bend as the bike will not be for long distance trips, just a 120 mile round trip for lunch.
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:57 AM   #84
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,594
I had a R1100R. Rides nice but feels like a big bike. Small diameter front tire improved steering and damper made things civil. Engine wasn't very strong and I suspect the 850 is less. Tranny a bit clunky could have used a 6 speed on highway. Coming from an airhead with reasonable expectations you should be happy with it. I wish I kept mine.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #85
jacksgp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
[QUOTE=Gillus;21811221]Considering a '96 R850R, looks to be in very good condition.

1996 r850r 106,000 miles NO major problems! I will never sell this bike, wish BMW would consider building this bike. Simply put..it's bulletproof!
jacksgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #86
Paper
Multibike disorder..

Oddometer: 3,336
I had a 2000 1100R.. Bought it down in Miami in (I think) 2002..
Made many changes, rode it all over hell, sold it cuz I'd made it perfect..

I had the MotoTechnique's bar mounts so I could put a K1 bar on it.. Much more comfortable for me, as I hated the RT style bars..

It had lot's of gizmos on it when I bought it and I just added to that.. Low 2 Broz pipe so I could use two full size bags, Russel seat, PIAA's, throttle lock, JC whitney screen, GS handguards, it just kept going..

Day before the MN1000

Doing a loop around Superior..

Track day in Ontario during BMWMOA Rally in '02

Old 07-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #87
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
IMHO the RT series, especially the 1100 and 1150 is the single best motorcycle design of all time.
MotorcycleWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #88
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
IMHO the RT series, especially the 1100 and 1150 is the single best motorcycle design of all time.
Inclined to agree. If the had only made that 2001 Roadster with black pinstripes and wire wheels with the workings of my 2001 GS - 1150cc, 6 sp. and old school ABS (no assist). It would been the best of both models.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #89
Chico
Thief and Saboteur

Oddometer: 706
I know I'm repeating a lot of what has already been said but I think the R1100r/1150r are just kind of ugly. As someone said before, they don't have an 'image'. They don't look like a cruiser, sport bike, dual sport, sport tourer, and they don't even look like a 'standard' which in my opinion, is what they are closest to. The tank, oil coolers and headlight look like they were tacked on to the actual motorcycle part of the bike without being part of it.
All of that being true, I have been looking at used ones recently because they seem like a great bargain. I have an 1150gs and for 80% of the riding I do, the r1150r would probably be a better bike at a significantly lower price. And the newer 1200s are much better looking in my opinion.
Chico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #90
WineGuyd
n00b

Oddometer: 6
3000 update

Well I've been riding my '96 R1100r for a bit over four months now and have put a little over 3000 miles on it(just broke 20k) and I have to say that I'm appreciating this bike more by the day. First from a style point of view, after being numbed by all the crotch rockets, adventure rigs, touring boats and retro Brit bikes, my bike is unique...have not seen another one on the road yet and I go into Manhattan regularly. The ride is solid, confident and reassuring...once I found my center of gravity on it I find the bike handles like motorcycles that weigh 100 pounds less...twisties are a dream yet long rides are super comfortable...the front saddle(there's something equestrian about this bike) holds me firm and comfortably in place. But what really stole my heart is that torquey muscular boxer! I constantly find myself testing the bike to see how slow I can go in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears...the damned thing pulls at 1000rpm.

I've come to terms with the fact that this bike is an orphan and skipped over by most accessory manufacturers so I'm going the junk yard route and I'm going to mod this bike into a cafe racer as a winter project. Nothing extreme, just new exhaust, lowered handlebars and if possible...a compact instrument cluster. I'll post pics! Oh, and did I mention i love this bike?

WineGuyd screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 02:41 PM
WineGuyd is offline   Reply With Quote