Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
Apc0243 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Cry GS Dakar engine dying during acceleration after sitting WAY too long

Hi everyone,

last week I bought a 2007 f650gs Dakar from a guy who neglected to tell me how long it had sat. When I got it on the road (for my 300 mile trip back) I found that sometimes during acceleration the engine would die and then pick back up.

Over the next few days this happened intermittently, but on the fifth day I added some STP fuel system cleaner and now it barely runs. After 30 minutes of riding I start experiencing the engine failure MUCH more frequently, and now the engine will actually die and I need to start it again. This was particularly dangerous when it stalled at 50mph and slowed me to 20mph in about 100 feet causing the guy behind me to nearly hit me.

So this weekend I'm going to inspect the fuel line as much as possible. The filler tube leading to the tank is horribly rusted out, so I'll pull that out and clean it, along with the gas in there. I'm planning on checking the filter at the front of the pump as well as cleaning the injector, but I was wondering if anyone else has run into a similar problem.

I have a post over at f650.com trying to figure it out, but maybe someone here has experience with FI and has experienced something similar (I'm assuming it is a problem with the fuel prep/delivery but maybe not).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

EDIT: http://f650.com/forum/showthread.php?31545-Bad-Fuel <- F650.com post about it

ALSO: I'm in Atlanta trying to work on this bike in my apartment complex's covered garage parking area. If anyone has any ideas and some space, maybe we can work together! :)

Apc0243 screwed with this post 10-16-2014 at 12:22 PM
Apc0243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
Apc0243 OP
Adventurer

Bump, but to update - the tank has a gross amount of rust collected near the intake strainer at the fuel pump. This weekend I need to figure out how to clean my tank safely and effectively (re: not disassembling the entire back end). Any tips?

I was told that if I allow the vapor to evaporate over a few days (covered inside) that it'll be safe to vacuum out, is this true? I'm down for a little danger in my life, but I'm not trying to be [too] stupid.
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM   #3
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 513
New spark plugs, new air filter, oil change (includes the filter, obviously) and don't forget to check the valves, just for the sake of it.

If it still runs like shite, you can check wether the fuel system is at fault.

Never heard about using a vaccum on the tank, though
Just use a hand pump or siphon the gas off.
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM   #4
Apc0243 OP
Adventurer

Ok, so today I was able to pull the pump out and finally get a good look at what was going on inside, and it wasn't pretty. It looks like the rust had been sitting inside the tank for a long time - after the gas had evaporated and it was dry in the tank I could clearly see a thin coating of rust all over the walls.

Worse enough, the F650gs tank has a strange design that (I assume) is meant to maximize the amount of gas that can be stored. So, I had thought about the advice given by Maygnum1b here but ultimately that made me worried. I can't afford to have water (and worse - soap) stuck in a nook I just couldn't get to with a rag, shop vac, or my hand.

But I figured what I could do is get in there and clean what I could and at least get it to the point that it functions long enough to get it out of my parking lot and into someone's shop.

So after spending 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get the lock/nut off the damn pump without breaking anything, I finally got inside and pulled the last 1/2 gallon of gas out and a good amount of rust.

But you can see that the bottom literally was coated with disgusting rust. After I let all the gas evaporate for a few minutes I started sticking my flash light down there to get a good look, it wasn't pretty.

So I started at it with some target rags - $3.99 for like 6. The first pass was just getting the big stuff out, and there was a lot. After about an hour of going at it with dry rags, I got the idea of using some of the fuel I pulled out as a degreaser.

After the first pass, this is what the whole inside still looked like - just a light coating of dried, disolved rust. It was not pretty. I kept at it for another hour and just scrubbed away at it, dipping the rags in the fuel as needed in order to get it as clean as possible.

In the end, I got about 90-95% of all the rust. It took a lot of weird body positioning to get my arm inside some of the weird places, but I'm pretty happy with how the tank came out....

The pump, however, I'm not so pleased with.

You can see that the intake screen clearly was just sitting in a pile of rust. I imagine the problems with the bike lied in that screen. As the pump ran, that screen pulled more of the rust in, and when I really opened it up, the whole screen would just be clogged with rust particles and no gas could get through.

So I did what I could to clean it, but I think in the end I'll need to rebuild the pump. I couldn't get most of it, and I just don't think it'll last long. I'm nervous, but I've found some amazing instructions on how to do it, so hopefully it'll be pretty cut and dry :)

Do you guys think it's OK for me to ride? Its easy enough to clean out again, and theres no way more damage can be done... right? If I put some clean gas and some seafoam maybe I can ride it to a friend's shop tomorrow?

Thanks for everyone's help (through PM's and other posts)!!
Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM   #5
Apc0243 OP
Adventurer

Question - can I use a carburetor cleaner or some sort of contact cleaner to clean that intake filter?

EDIT: Carburetor cleaner will melt plastic, I understand that. What about break cleaner? Isn't that just alcohol?

Apc0243 screwed with this post Yesterday at 03:09 PM
Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM   #6
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,058
Hey Dave, maybe kerosene is the way to go cleaning that filter.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM   #7
Apc0243 OP
Adventurer

I donno, I just looked in the tank again and it doesn't look that great, still got a lot of rust deposits.

I bet it'll run a lot better then it has been, but to get it to not-worry-condition I think I'll need to take the tank off