Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2009, 05:32 AM   #1
Margarita Machine OP
MLC 001

Oddometer: 63
Question XR650L and Mefo 99 Explorer Tires

Folks,

Has anyone used the Mefo 99 Explorer tires on a Honda XR650L lately? Which size did you use and what kind of mileage did you get as I am looking at getting a pair to replace the OEM tires that came with my bike? Most of my riding is on the cement while commuting; however, I still want the capability to ride off-road.

Thanks for the info,
Margarita Machine
Margarita Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
bouncing billy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
on my klr i have over 6000 miles on my mefos but their are done now,just keep the pressure on the street like 35 and air down for the dirt.They stick really well on slab and broken aspalt suck in sand and good in gravel.Good choice if you can get them
Old 01-23-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,938
I have them on my "L", but don't have many miles on them. The front sucks on anything but hot asphalt or concrete. I am done with any front tire that is not a full on knobby. I like a really aggressive front with the mefo rear, as you can deal with the rear sliding, but having the front go out from under you is destined for a crash. I have yet to have many front knobs slip on the street (other than the D606...WAY too hard and skatey for me). I would rather spend more $$$ and have a knob for the offroad work, and really don't notice much difference with a knob up front for the street. I also use Dyna beads to balance the wheels. I feel they do a great job and are affordable.
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,516
I have the Explorers on my XRL and like them. I did mount the front backwards and that's helped off-road and not hindered on street. These things definitely kick butt on the street - not so great in mud or sand (but then I'm not so great in mud or sand anyway) and do well on gravel, forest roads, single-track etc.

I went with 90/90-21 for the front and 120/80-18 on the rear.

So far I've got about 3K on them and they still look new so they're definitely wearing like iron. I keep them at 35 psi for asphalt and run about 18 for off-road. I didn't do rim-locks so don't go lower than that. Flipping the front is definitely a plus for the loose stuff.
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
007brian
shaken not stirred

Oddometer: 543
i think they are terrible unless you stay on a paved road. I prefer d606 dunlops IMHO.
007brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:55 PM   #6
powerline
n00b

Oddometer: 2
mefo

just put rear mefo explorer99 on xr650l, 140/80/18. It aint a knobby but close and is better in the trail or dirt road or fields then a metzeler sahara endure 3. 90% pavement on sahara went for 4000m. Will see what mefo can do for $200
powerline is offline   Reply With Quote