Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM   #1
bluegroove OP
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 466
Question OEM streetbike steering damper for Offroad use?

Anyone tried this? ebay has a TON of cheap OEM steering dampers. like $8 each. The CBR1000 dampers are practically free. and others also. I was thinking of putting one on my DR650.

Make some brackets and you're in business.... ?

I got the idea because I put a GSXR damper on my old KZ1000 and got rid of the head shake. The GSXR damper doesn't have enough travel for a dirt bike due to reduced turning radius, but some other model may work.
Old Today, 12:05 AM   #2
beemerkid
Do you ADV

Oddometer: 994
Are the cbr dampers electronic? I seem to remember something about that. Also the street dampers might be softer at slow speed movement than an off road one because of the faster speeds. this is a total and complete guess, I'm sure someone will come and prove me wrong, but I'd think that unless you can machine a mount yourself and work out the damping force, it would be cheaper to buy a good adjustable damper made for your bike.
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:14 AM   #3
PaulTim2000
n00b

Oddometer: 6
If they're cheap, and you can easily make the brackets, you're not going to cause any permanent damage so why not try it. Sunk cost is minimal and if you want to try another damper later you may be able to re-use the mountings you've made.
It's not rocket science and you're not looking for something which will help you win races.
Let us know how you get on.
PaulTim2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:11 PM   #4
bluegroove OP
Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 466
True it is cheap and harmless to try it. But my time is precious these days! Yes the CBR is elctronic. I am guessing it has an elec motor which turns a valve to change damping. In theory I could remove the motor and set it where I like it. Or maybe wire up something. Or put in heavier oil, or.... lots of ideas, little time.