Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #136
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird
Hitchcock ....('master of suspense'), and you won't spend anywhere near $2k with Neil. (nor do you need it)

Huh. I even imagined Hancock on my forks......

Yeah, but for 2k ....I could get onsite setup..for a weekend with a chase truck.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #137
MeterPig
Meh

I am kind of back and forth between the Xc and the XC-w.

XC-pro's

Clear Tank
Better Forks
Closer ratio tranny for track

XC-w pro
Speedo/odo
wide ratio tranny for high speed
Better resale

The perfect bike would be a
Wide ratio tranny
Clear tank
XC Forks
Speedo.

Ktm...are you listening?
Old 03-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #138
Para504
Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig
I am kind of back and forth between the Xc and the XC-w.

XC-pro's

Clear Tank
Better Forks
Closer ratio tranny for track

XC-w pro
Speedo/odo
wide ratio tranny for high speed
Better resale

The perfect bike would be a
Wide ratio tranny
Clear tank
XC Forks
Speedo.

Ktm...are you listening?
Unless you've ridden both & have a definite bias, you are probably splitting hairs. The -w gives ya arguably a bit more flexibility for offroad, and the forks are designed for more technical riding (more plush). If you're looking to ride harescrambles, some MX stuff, then the XC would probably be a better pick due to the stiffer suspension and tighter gearing. For trail riding & enduros, I have no complaints about the -w & would not want the XC forks for my terrain. I agree having a translucent tank (like the old clear or orange ones) is a better option; if you want a larger aftermarket tank you have a lot of options in that space...
Para504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #139
GasGas300 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
I have 250 miles on my 2010 300 XCW and it is an excellent bike! I installed a Rekluse z-pro on it and really like it. Made it much easier to ride. Still trying to get an idea how many miles I will be able to get out of a tank of fuel, and am messing with the jets some.
It's an excellent bike! I feel guilty leaving the 690 in the garage all the time!
GasGas300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #140
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,857
Plastic Bling...

I'm sorry guys...I don't have any action shots to resurrect this thread.

But, I did add this piece of plastic bling...errr, "teflon co-polymer" bling...to my 300, today...

For fuk's sake, what a fukin' fiasco!!! This had to be one of the most unpleasant wrenching experiences in my short KTM career. And, I have even re-jetted my 950!...which is another story for another time.

The nice thing is, after shipping, I am $100.00 lighter. But, last week, I found a 3/4-inch (fresh, green, solid) oak limb jammed between the frame and engine case. So, it was time...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #141
MeterPig
Meh

I highly recommend a skid plate for that pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ
I'm sorry guys...I don't have any action shots to resurrect this thread.

But, I did add this piece of plastic bling...errr, "teflon co-polymer" bling...to my 300, today...

For fuk's sake, what a fukin' fiasco!!! This had to be one of the most unpleasant wrenching experiences in my short KTM career. And, I have even re-jetted my 950!...which is another story for another time.

The nice thing is, after shipping, I am $100.00 lighter. But, last week, I found a 3/4-inch (fresh, green, solid) oak limb jammed between the frame and engine case. So, it was time...

Old 08-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #142
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig
I highly recommend a skid plate for that pipe.
I kinda' thought that, if it wasn't the first response to my post, something about pipe protection would be pretty close to the first response...And, I was correct.

Actually, I thought about the skid plate/pipe protection combo., when I ordered the skid plate, but decided against it. I really did an honest review of the type of riding that I do, before deciding on just the plate.

When it's all said and done, your suggestion may prove to be the right one (and I may be wrong). But, for now, I am happy with just the skid plate.

EDIT: Here she is...all ready for tomorrow...

I'll see if I can't put some fresh gouges in that Hyde plate. If MP is right, I might even put some in the pipe...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 08-06-2010 at 10:39 PM
Old 08-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #143
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Tested the Hyde plate...

I went to my Dad's place, today, and tried to gouge the Hyde...not a lot of success...

I'm trying to do my best Coma impression...

Old 08-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #144
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas300
Great info -thanks. I am not looking for a bike to do much street riding, but if I need to duck into town to fuel up, I don't want to worry about ditching the cops. I have a 690r for longer trips, but it is just a little too heavy for tough single track riding.

I see lots of nice protection items for this bike - Hyde Racing makes a combination pipe/skid plate. It is plastic, but looks real nice - do you have any experience with it?

Sounds like a lot of bike - I did survive owning a TM400 Cyclone and a 450 Maico. My last 2-stroke was a KX500. I like the light weight of a 2 stroke, and am looking forward to one with a modern suspension
Ive used the Hyde combo pipe gaurd/skidplate,works great and makes the bike slide over logs and rocks easier then anything Ive tried,helps a lot with bashes to the pipe from the side as well. The 300 only goes as fast as you make it but can wear you out on real tight trail if your going fast,lotso boost!
Old 08-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #145
DUNDAS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
What can you tell me about this bike? I am looking at one for single track and fireroading - want to make it street legal. Who on here is riding one and what has been your experience?

If its main purpose is to enjoy single track ... get a 200 put a heavy flywheel
weight on it if you your a big tall fat guy get a the 250 that shares the 300's larger frame ...

http://ktmworld.com/news_articles/GN...P1/default.asp

I'm a believer in having a motor for what you need it for .. at my local KTM shop I'm told they have to fix countless 300's not because they are bad motors but because the guys that ride them lug the crap out of them in much higher gears needed ..(I think that might be small man syndrome needing the big 300)

if you want a street plate might need to find an older model with the title on it .. or try your luck at the DMV and bat your eyes at the girl working the counter and see if she or he whatever your into .. will street plate it for you ..
DUNDAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #146
Para504
Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNDAS

I'm a believer in having a motor for what you need it for .. at my local KTM shop I'm told they have to fix countless 300's not because they are bad motors but because the guys that ride them lug the crap out of them in much higher gears needed ..(I think that might be small man syndrome needing the big 300)
First time I've heard of that... Plenty of luggers out here, & the bikes last darn near forever. Regardless of "manhood", the 300 works well in trials mode in more technical areas. I personally find the 200 to be a blast and a great tight woods bike, but to get the most out of it I find I have to be more on my game than riding a 250 or 300. I used to have a 250exc, ridden a 200xcw plenty of times, but the best overall fit was the 300. I like the motor for the "right" amount of torque, light weight, being able to ride "smooth" & conserve my energy on longer tougher rides.
Para504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #147
GasGas300 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Great bike! I have 950 miles on it, and its due for a new set of tires. I rode a 690 in the Colorado 500 last year, and this thing is going to be so much better. The hyde racing skid plate/pipe protector looks a little goofy, but works great.
GasGas300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:50 AM   #148
MeterPig
Meh

Let's see- "countless"? How many total 300's did KTM import into the states?

So, countless is 100? 200? Sounds like an epidemic.

So lugging a motor at low RPM is worse for it than 14,000 RPM constant?

I guess I am a big fat, tall guy. I like the 300-then again, I live a high altitudes.

Guess you better tell Slavens to check his manhood.

I like this thread. It is getting exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNDAS
If its main purpose is to enjoy single track ... get a 200 put a heavy flywheel
weight on it if you your a big tall fat guy get a the 250 that shares the 300's larger frame ...

http://ktmworld.com/news_articles/GN...P1/default.asp

if you want a street plate might need to find an older model with the title on it .. or try your luck at the DMV and bat your eyes at the girl working the counter and see if she or he whatever your into .. will street plate it for you ..
Old 08-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #149
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Super Tanker

Quote:
I have 250 miles on my 2010 300 XCW and it is an excellent bike! I installed a Rekluse z-pro on it and really like it. Made it much easier to ride. Still trying to get an idea how many miles I will be able to get out of a tank of fuel, and am messing with the jets some.
It's an excellent bike! I feel guilty leaving the 690 in the garage all the time!
Here is how I solved the "miles I will be able to get out of a tank of fuel" problem.

Acerbis 6.3 gallon tank.

When you don't need the range, fill as needed. Weight is about the same as stock tank. Or, switch tanks; not much work especially if you use quick disconnects on the fuel lines. Two-stroke dual sports are not dead (in Texas and certain other states) yet.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #150
MeterPig
Meh

What it is like to ride the bike with that tank filled over 4 gallons?