Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #181
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 16,767
So I am back from Taylor. We lugged the heck out of the KTM and YZ250. My buddy loved the KTM in that he could run it close to idle up the hills compared ti the yz being so pipey.

I drug the yz several times-but the ktm being so tall-just cruised right over.

All in all, the 300 with the close tranny makes a great trail machine for me.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #182
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 8,014
Swapping out the springs makes this a whole new bike.

Awesome.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:19 AM   #183
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 874
Gearing Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
Depends on gearing. Geared up a hair it was fine. With low woods gearing 50mph had no load on the engine at all and a little buzzy. 5 speed compromise like normal.

Agreed! I geared 14/52, slightly taller than stock, and that works everywhere, mostly. The gap between 4th and 5th can be bridged by running a bit more revs in 4th. 3rd is now simply magic in the woods. The 14T countershaft also reduces chain wear quite a bit over the stock 13T.

Since it is a street legal & tagged 300, I can run out of Buena Vista to Taylor, gas up and ride the day and then gas up before returning. It is not the most comfy ride on the pavement but it does the job. It is not the most fuel efficient when the gas tank is pointing downhill....

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #184
ErricZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide
Any of you guys here ridden the 300s on the highway, say 20/30 miles. I keep hearing they are really good on the roads between lanes because the power means you can just bop along at 50 mph ish with out stressing them out, so making them a viable option for trail riding over good distances. But also then on the flip side using them in the single track woods stuff that I guess they excel at
Not the hiway but I have some 50/55 2-laners on which my new Trailtech said I hit 60mph -- on 5psi and non-DOT rubber -- and I didn't notice a damned thing but for minor vibes, I figured it was the knobbies!
ErricZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:30 AM   #185
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 874
Vibs

Mine buzzes some. It is not as bad as my former LC4 paint shaker. I'd rather ride my 300 to Alaska and back than the former 2001 or 2005 LC4s I had.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #186
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,070
Wicked Certainly puts into perspective how much the LC4's vibrate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Mine buzzes some. It is not as bad as my former LC4 paint shaker. I'd rather ride my 300 to Alaska and back than the former 2001 or 2005 LC4s I had.

Stu
One of the biggest eye openers I had, when I first ran my 08 300XC was what for me, was the excessive vibration levels. Rather a blonde moment I guess, it had been 30yrs since I last offroaded and hadn't remembered how buzzy competition two strokes were.

I'm more than impressed with the improvement rubber mounting my bars, via a set of BRP top triple trees has made and combined with OURY's thick and cushy Road Grips, it's made a big difference in overall comfort levels...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #187
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 16,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
One of the biggest eye openers I had, when I first ran my 08 300XC was what for me, was the excessive vibration levels. Rather a blonde moment I guess, it had been 30yrs since I last offroaded and hadn't remembered how buzzy competition two strokes were.

I'm more than impressed with the improvement rubber mounting my bars, via a set of BRP top triple trees has made and combined with OURY's thick and cushy Road Grips, it's made a big difference in overall comfort levels...

996DL

The stock grips in my opinion are junk. I paid a few bucks and installed some cushy grips which rock.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:27 AM   #188
Bluetonguejak
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 79
Rekluse clutch

Slipped a Rekluse Z-start clutch into my old EXC300 to make the steep single trail easier to manage.
Have managed to flip the bike twice through being too aggressive going over logs on steep uphill.

A change of riding style is required as the clutch has a slight delay as when getting on the throttle after chopping it off.

Look forward to tackling the rutted High Country again.

Bluetonguejak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:55 AM   #189
ErricZ
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetonguejak
Slipped a Rekluse Z-start clutch into my old EXC300 to make the steep single trail easier to manage.
Have managed to flip the bike twice through being too aggressive going over logs on steep uphill.

A change of riding style is required as the clutch has a slight delay as when getting on the throttle after chopping it off.

Look forward to tackling the rutted High Country again.
Looks awesome ... what year is yours? They say 99-03 but isn't the 98 the same? (As far as parts go they are anyway.) Do you have a hydraulic or a cable clutch?

I love the side-mounted work stand, btw!! :) Seems like a big investment for the old girl! Get a deal somewhere?

Also, the website claims that it has "Tunable Clutch Engagement" -- mess with that at all for your "delay" issue?
Old 10-09-2010, 06:12 AM   #190
Bluetonguejak
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErricZ
Looks awesome ... what year is yours? They say 99-03 but isn't the 98 the same? (As far as parts go they are anyway.) Do you have a hydraulic or a cable clutch?

I love the side-mounted work stand, btw!! :) Seems like a big investment for the old girl! Get a deal somewhere?

Also, the website claims that it has "Tunable Clutch Engagement" -- mess with that at all for your "delay" issue?
The 'Rat-bike' 300 is a 2000 model (originally had silver/orange plastics) with recent fully rebuilt motor.

Don't know a lot about which models have what changes, only that the 300's didn't change a great deal for a few years and the frames for the 200/300 were the same.

Possible over-capitalization - maybe?
No deal, just a tax deduction - don't ask!
Can always sell clutch separate to bike in future.

Has hydraulic clutch. Technically could remove the clutch and fit a LH rear hand-brake!
Habitually, I still use the clutch and 'flick it' to rear wheel steer and wheelie over rocks/logs.

Fitted the 'medium' spring, but may have to fit the spring that is for a more aggressive riding style and the 3 TC balls- no biggy, about 15 minutes work.
Bluetonguejak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #191
ErricZ
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
The 'Rat-bike' 300 is a 2000 model (originally had silver/orange plastics) with recent fully rebuilt motor.

Don't know a lot about which models have what changes, only that the 300's didn't change a great deal for a few years and the frames for the 200/300 were the same.
I have a 1998 and it's got a cable clutch, I guess they made the change in '99, but I'd have to go on a deeper search. I do know the service and parts manual are 95-98% similar for the 125-380cc models.

Quote:
Possible over-capitalization - maybe?
No deal, just a tax deduction - don't ask!
Can always sell clutch separate to bike in future.
I hear that myself, I've spent just about every extra dime I've had -- and some I haven't :) -- on this KTM 300EXC of mine. It was $1450 and came with some extra goodies but also came with a [quietly] pre-broken engine. I put $600 into the Head and a couple hundred for all orange plastics there with a few hundred on bolts, o-ring, washers, gaskets, and various spare parts. In fact, I have quite the "WARNING: DO NOT TOTAL!!!" folder going right now. :-D

Quote:
Has hydraulic clutch. Technically could remove the clutch and fit a LH rear hand-brake!
Habitually, I still use the clutch and 'flick it' to rear wheel steer and wheelie over rocks/logs.

Fitted the 'medium' spring, but may have to fit the spring that is for a more aggressive riding style and the 3 TC balls- no biggy, about 15 minutes work.
Hopefully I get to a flick and steer level on mine soon, I'm not hitting any logs just yet. :) Still new to the dirt.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #192
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,723
After wanting a twostroke for several years I finally picked up a used one several weeks ago. A 99 300 w/ lots of goodies.
I gotta plate for it and took it through the Shenahdoah 500. Probably overkill for that ride, but it was awesome on the hero sections.

The bike came w/ a Rekluse Zstart. I took it off and sold it. I can see why people like them, but didn't really feel like it was needed.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:50 AM   #193
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho
After wanting a twostroke for several years I finally picked up a used one several weeks ago. A 99 300 w/ lots of goodies.
I gotta plate for it and took it through the Shenahdoah 500. Probably overkill for that ride, but it was awesome on the hero sections.

The bike came w/ a Rekluse Zstart. I took it off and sold it. I can see why people like them, but didn't really feel like it was needed.
right on brotha! how's she treating you? what gearing are you running? i have 14/51 now and its kind of screaming at 60 mph. no room for a 15 up front
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #194
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,723
I have a 14 on the front. I got both a 13 and a 15 among all the spare parts w/ the bike. ( I probably should have put that 15 on for the S500).
I'm honestly not sure what is on the rear.

I'm looking forward to taking it to Granville's this coming weekend! Hope to see you there.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #195
ErricZ
Studly Adventurer

So I finally got my Agent Orange back on the "road" and did a full 21 miles loop over about 40 minutes. It was fine on the packed dirt or gravel but seemed to wiggle a LOT in regular sand if I tried to switch "tracks".

I have my rear static sag spot on and I'm a little light for the spring (82mm instead of 90-115mm). 190lbs or so w/ gear. What kind of setup should I check in the front, it's the only thing I haven't sorted yet. Running ~18psi in the tires since I spend some time of pavement around 50mph, should I drop the pressure to 14 as per the manual or closer to 10psi as I have read around the boards?

I'm new to being out there so maybe it's just me and the way the KTM rides? Could it be my crappy tires they LOOK fine (Dunlop D756)? I thought something might be out-of-line from my crash but it tracked straight with my hands off the bars.