Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #16
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,408
Last year I bought myself my first two-stroke since a Can Am 125 TNT I had back in the '80s.

A lightly used 2006 KTM 300 XC. Dual sported, titled and plated in Colorado.

Adjusting from four strokes is a bit of a curve, mostly when you let go of the throttle and the lack of engine braking makes the bike feel like you are still accelerating! Tons of fun though!

I thought I would miss the electric start of the later 300's, but honestly the bike is so easy to kick compared to a 4T that it is pretty much a non-issue. The 08/09/10's definitely have other advantages though, including significantly improved suspensions every year from what I hear.

pfb screwed with this post 01-13-2010 at 11:37 AM
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #17
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
Can you remove the e-start on the new 250's and 300's? If so, what sort of weight savings is there? I love two strokes and the new ktm mill seems that perhaps it would be the lightest option if not for the e-start crap.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #18
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM690Dog

He is looking for a new 300 with electric start and wants to get it street legal in Colorado or Arizona. Can this be done in either state?
Saw an '08 last year at Elite in Loveland, CO all done up with factory bits and being sold as street legal. Not sure if that's still possible. Call Roger at Elite and ask...
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #19
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
I know that some states will plate these bikes, CA is not so fortunate.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #20
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Saw an '08 last year at Elite in Loveland, CO all done up with factory bits and being sold as street legal. Not sure if that's still possible. Call Roger at Elite and ask...
My understanding:
From the dealer, definitely a grey area... The 300's are not sold by KTM as EPA/DOT compliant, and therefore not street legal as sold by KTM. But they also don't (or didn't a year or two ago) say "off-road use only" on the title. Evidently some dealerships have had good luck with just submitting the title paperwork and having CO DOT issue a title, not differentiating between the truly street legal KTM dirt bikes (450/530 EXC's) and some of their other bikes.

But even if that doesn't work, in Colorado it is relatively easy and inexpensive (though not as easy as it was a few years ago) to take an off-road bike and get a title/plate for it. This thread has more info than you could ever dream about on the subject! While the process seems to differ a bit depending on which State Patrol barrack does the inspection, in summary you: Add DOT tires, horn, reflectors, brake light, tail light, headlight, mirror, print out some forms, get it inspected by State Patrol for VIN and compliance, bring everything to MVD and if you jumped through every hoop perfectly the first time, get your title and plate! Evidently getting an appointment and consistent application of the rules with the State Patrol is the biggest hassle...

This route, however, can not be done by the dealer directly, but only by the owner. Ironically, the thing that makes it sometimes possible for dealers to semi-legitimately title a KTM dirt bike causes problems with the legitimate process. The title or bill of sale MUST SAY for off road use only! So if the title does not, make sure the bill of sale does, and leave the title at home when you go to MVD.

pfb screwed with this post 01-13-2010 at 01:13 PM
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #21
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,610
pfb,

Your "collection" makes me jealous. But, I'm gainin' on ya'.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #22
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ
I"m sure that someone with a lot more knowledge than me will chime-in. But, just to get you going...

In the States, I believe that there are only two models offered (in terms of the 300)...the "XC" and "XC-W". Both are Cross-country/Offroad/Enduro competition motorcycles. However, it is my understanding that the XC is geared and suspended along the lines of a Motocross/Supercross bike. The XC-W has a wide-ratio transmission, and suspension that is a little more plush (*think desert/Dakar bike).

In the States, the EXC models (450 and 530) are Enduro competition models that also happen to be street-legal. I have been told that their suspension and gearing is more along the lines of the XC-W models. A gentleman below (Wylie) mentioned that they do offer a street-legal version "across the pond". Perhaps that is the 300 EXC. I don't know if they ever offered it in the States (in terms of a street-legal version)...and, if so, what the last year offered was.

I hope this helps...
I dug through www.kbb.com year by year. It appears there was a 300 EXC model in 2006 that was 2 stroke. 2007 it was called the XC. It will make a big difference to me.
ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #23
GasGas300 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDad
Yep. I have an 05. Was thinking about selling and getting a new one. But I love the 05's 36" seat height. I am planning on having the suspension revavled, and getting a rekluse.

The last two stroke dirt bike I owned was a KX500, and I really don't think there is a huge difference in the power between the two.
Ohhh! power like my old KX500!! I'm gonna like this!
GasGas300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #24
kta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
For me there's no better off road bike. I've had three, all excs.

1994 - Plated!

I've ridden the newer ones, and they're nice. But really, there isn't a big difference - just the price.
kta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #25
Para504
Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer: 558
I have an '07 300 XC-W. As the note before said, I believe the '06 was the last year in the USA that it was called an EXC. The 2-s EXC's were NOT street legal in the US! Only difference is the EXC came with lights. The XC-W (and XC's) will accept the lights "plug & play" - they are already wired for it and have the stator to support it.

It depends on your state whether you can street register it. In NH its not a big deal for dualsporting them, fortunately for me. I need mine street plated for enduros and "turkey runs" (new england term for non-competitive enduro-type ride). I personally think it sucks on the road, but its awesome on the trails. 2-s don't like constant throttle riding (roads), and you can't "coast" them because they rely on the oil/gas mix to lube the top end of the engine. IMO, the 4-s EXC's are clearly better DS bikes, but I prefer the 300 for really nasty single track. It lugs lower than 4-s believe it or not, and as long as you use a tiny bit of throttle it will NOT stall (can't say that about 4-s). Do the mod's mentioned earlier (stiffer power valve spring, "softer" ignition map for '07+ bikes, and correct jetting) and throw a trials tire on it & you have an awesome technical terrain bike. One of the big reasons why some ppl shy away from this bike, is because if you make a mistake with the throttle in tight terrain it can get you in a world of hurt really fast. Those mods mentioned earlier, and a G2 throttle cam can make a big difference in controlling it in technical conditions.

The '08+ bikes with electric start can have the e-start removed; I know a handful of racers who did that. It doesn't weigh much so you're not gaining much by doing that. You can also retrofit the '08+ bikes (250 & 300 only) that came without the e-start. Its a nice to have, but not nearly as important as it would be on a 4-s. The 300's are very reliable starter, with usually 1 firm full kick. No 4-s drill to learn either...
[IMG][/IMG]

Para504 screwed with this post 01-13-2010 at 06:55 PM
Para504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #26
[poser]
the un-original

Oddometer: 77
what do you guys think of the 250 exc 2stroke?
-Banksy
[poser] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #27
badcooky
I see dumb people!

Oddometer: 1,129
It's a great bike but it's not a thumper.
That middle pick is a 96 model i reckon.
badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #28
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [poser]
what do you guys think of the 250 exc 2stroke?
The 250's get rave reviews!

For me, at #210+ geared up, extra dual-sport weight on the bike, and riding areas at 7K-13K elevations, the extra power of the 300 is welcome. And more commonly available around here on the used market.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:25 AM   #29
Wylie
Back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 2,234
Don't ask me why it has 125 on the side of the bike and the properties of the picture state 125 as well but I know there is a 300 EXC-E start over there. I have seen an article somewhere with one delivered with signals, speedo and all the bells and whistles.

I don't know either this or the 570 FE with the Motard lighting package would be my favored steed. I'd have to ride them both and then have the money to pay for them too.

2010 KTM 300 EXC E 6145 Ref: 2010300EXC
Engine type Single cylinder, 2-stroke
Displacement 293.2 cc
Bore x stroke 72 x 72 mm (2.83" x 2.83")
Starter/Battery Kick- and electric starter / 12V 3 Ah
Transmission 5 gears
Carburetor Keihin PWK 36 S AG
Control Exhaust control TVC
Lubrication Mixture oil lubrication 1:60
Transmission oil Motorex, SAE 15W-50
Primary drive 26:72
Final drive 13:40 (14:50)
Cooling Liquid cooled
Clutch Wet multi-disc clutch, operated hydraulically
Ignition Kokusan

Here's the page I pulled this from.
http://www.dirtbikebook.com/acatalog/Enduro2stroke.html

Okay, screw it, stop the world I'm getting off.
Wylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:33 AM   #30
Wylie
Back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 2,234
Found this here http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=844294

Okay, screw it, stop the world I'm getting off.
Wylie is offline   Reply With Quote