Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2010, 12:56 AM   #31
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Can you remove the e-start on the new 250's and 300's? If so, what sort of weight savings is there? I love two strokes and the new ktm mill seems that perhaps it would be the lightest option if not for the e-start crap.
The difference without the e start is about 2kg. The 2007 250exc had an e option and that was the weight difference.

Don't supersize or cut down on the lard sandwiches for a week and you will save that and still have the e start

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:31 AM   #32
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie
Don't ask me why it has 125 on the side of the bike and the properties of the picture state 125 as well but I know there is a 300 EXC-E start over there. I have seen an article somewhere with one delivered with signals, speedo and all the bells and whistles.

That pictures sure looks like a 125, what makes you think that it's not?

To clear up the confusion, in Europe (at least most of it) KTM has only been selling the 300 in EXC form (before 2000 or so they were called EGS). We don't even get XC's and those other models. ALL the EXCs including the 125/200/250/300/380s 2- and the 250/400/450/520/525/530 4-strokes (maybe others as well) have been street legal since their introduction in the 1990s. They come with lights, reflectors, turn signals, speedo, license plate light/bracket and all the other crap legally required here. To pass the very strict EU emissions test, they are severely restricted from the factory. Quiet mufflers, very lean carb jetting, throttle stop, etc. They usually make about 7-11HP in stock form.

As an example, here is what KTM puts over the air filter of the 690RR to reduce power enough: A good old steel plate!

And the muffler insert:

LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:28 AM   #33
Wylie
Back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 2,234
Nothing other then the rest of the stuff on the page. That's part of the reason I went and posted the second picture I found.

You lucky dogs, I'd take 7 to 11 horse power out the gate and put the wrench to the thing before ever putting a fuel mix in it. I'd be guessing this is about the norm over there. I'd almost trade off my 2001 640e for one but then I'd have to figure out how to get it over here too.

Geeze let that poor 690 breath man!

I weigh a buck fifty soakin wet, I could stand for a few lard sandwiches, okay hold the lard and throw some bacon on there, better be the good thick country style bacon!

Okay, screw it, stop the world I'm getting off.

Wylie screwed with this post 01-14-2010 at 02:36 AM
Wylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:22 AM   #34
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
...They come with lights, reflectors, turn signals, speedo, license plate light/bracket and all the other crap legally required here. To pass the very strict EU emissions test, they are severely restricted from the factory. Quiet mufflers, very lean carb jetting, throttle stop, etc. They usually make about 7-11HP in stock form. ...
Thanks for the info. Lukas. I knew that all the 300's were 2-stroke's. I just couldn't figure-out the current or past "EXC" thing, in regard to the 300. I'm fairly new to this ORANGE thing. And, when KTM first grabbed my eye, all the EXC's (in the States) were street-legal (450 and 530). Furthermore, I knew that "factory" street-legal two-stroke's (at least here in the states) were definitely a thing of the past.

When this "EXC" topic first came-up, on this thread, I kinda' suspected that it was the nomenclature for the 2-stroke, street-legal models offered in your neck of the woods. However, when I got on the KTM "international" site, I saw that "your" 300 EXC didn't have signals, mirrors, etc. And, I also noted that the KTM international site didn't catalog "our" XC and XC-W models. So, I looked at the specs., and just kinda' figured that your "EXC" was our "XC-W" (with a couple of minor differences).

Thanks again for the clarification...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 01-14-2010 at 11:03 AM
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #35
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,660
I fkn LOVE my 3Hundy.....best bike I've ever had....

KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #36
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
The difference without the e start is about 2kg. The 2007 250exc had an e option and that was the weight difference.

Don't supersize or cut down on the lard sandwiches for a week and you will save that and still have the e start
Cool, e-start isn't worth half of 2kgs to me. I'd rather not have it, less to break and no battery to fuss with.

The picture posted a few posts up is a 125 - you can tell by the shape of the cases, expansion chamber and cylinder (well, 125 or 150 anyway). The specs are for a 300 though.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #37
GasGas300 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Great start to this thread and thanks everyone for their contributions - It seems like the only thing in the Thumpers section is big 4 strokes like KLR's. With so much interest in this bike, I hope we can keep this going -

I think the biggest downside is going to be mixing oil while fueling up - I am planning on packing some small containers with enough oil to mix 1 or 2 gallons at a time - I hope it's not too much of a pain.

How do these handle altitude changes - for example if you jet for 7500 feet and ride up to say 12,000 do they get running real ratty? Or do you notice it much? How is the mileage effected?
GasGas300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #38
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas300
...With so much interest in this bike, I hope we can keep this going -...
+1

I've enjoyed the photos, and would love to see more. I hope to post a few in the near future.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #39
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Its very nice bike!
I'm inexperienced and that's my first two stroke but is still very cool bike,

some pics

pampaX screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 12:51 AM Reason: pics where moved
pampaX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:43 AM   #40
Para504
Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas300
Great start to this thread and thanks everyone for their contributions - It seems like the only thing in the Thumpers section is big 4 strokes like KLR's. With so much interest in this bike, I hope we can keep this going -

I think the biggest downside is going to be mixing oil while fueling up - I am planning on packing some small containers with enough oil to mix 1 or 2 gallons at a time - I hope it's not too much of a pain.

How do these handle altitude changes - for example if you jet for 7500 feet and ride up to say 12,000 do they get running real ratty? Or do you notice it much? How is the mileage effected?
Its not a big deal at all (unless you forget to do it!). I usually use the full syn Spectro, 100ml / gal... Easy to eyeball during fillups. I don't bother with a mix tank on a long ride - just turn off petcock (so the heavier oil doesn't drain thru before its blended), add the fuel & the needed amount of oil (1.5g? just add 150ml... easy) & rock the bike.

Para504 screwed with this post 01-15-2010 at 04:53 AM
Para504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:58 AM   #41
Wylie
Back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 2,234
I do have to admit there is one thing I see with the 300s that really is hard to ignore which is the placement of the expansion chamber.

How many of you 300 owners have squished, bent or mangled your expansion chambers?

I can't see where else it may be routed though.

Okay, screw it, stop the world I'm getting off.
Wylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:03 AM   #42
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,176
Just get an e-line pipe guard. The expansion chamber is placed like that on most all two stroke MX bikes. In stock form its a little fragile, but easily protected.

Common practice since at least '93 (my long gone and much loved old race bike)

current pinger

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #43
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie
I do have to admit there is one thing I see with the 300s that really is hard to ignore which is the placement of the expansion chamber.

How many of you 300 owners have squished, bent or mangled your expansion chambers?

I can't see where else it may be routed though.
I have the stock pipe (never used) and 2 FMF Gnarly pipes in rotation using a carbon pipe guard. Hopefully I never have all 3 smashed at the same time...!
Old 01-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #44
Helajames
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I have an 05 EXC that is plated in Nevada, it also has a Rekluse, desert tank and Tubliss tires, it is a sick bike. I use it mainly on the gnarly trail rides in the mountains. As others have said it is terrible to ride on the street, I use my plate to ride out of my garage to the trails only, I have a 690 Enduro for serious dual sporting.

the cool thng about 2 strokes is you can pick them up used cheap and freshen them up easy. not much has changed in the 300's motor or chasis in the last 10 years to warrant the purchase of a new one in my opinion.

As far the e start goes, my mine alway starts with 1 or 2 kicks!

Jim
Helajames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #45
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Here's to hoping that KTM delivers 2-strokes with EFI in the next few years or so....