Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 05:19 AM   #886
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Touch?

Well piston should stroke enough to compress raw and spent fuel,and fourm proper combustion chamber.But it shouldnt hit the plug.

Glad to see your not giving up on the mixer.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #887
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
Well piston should stroke enough to compress raw and spent fuel,and fourm proper combustion chamber.But it shouldnt hit the plug.

Glad to see your not giving up on the mixer.
No way man...too much invested to give up on it now. I am well past the value of the bike, so no turning back now.

Anyone in thread: Does anyone have a recommendation where to get a tool to hold the Stator(generator) in place and get the nut off the end of the crankshaft?? KTM has one, of course, but I am scared to see what its price is.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #888
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Quote:
No way man...too much invested to give up on it now. I am well past the value of the bike, so no turning back now.

Anyone in thread: Does anyone have a recommendation where to get a tool to hold the Stator(generator) in place and get the nut off the end of the crankshaft?? KTM has one, of course, but I am scared to see what its price is.

www.pitposse.com

Now i better see ya at the Hammer this year.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #889
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
www.pitposse.com

Now i better see ya at the Hammer this year.
No money, no time, no truck and no trailer...NO go this year. Ride the local pines and you might have a DZ spotting.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #890
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,730
Quote:

It would entail removing the clutch cover, but couldn't you use this relatively inexpensive tool?

Or.... Impact wrench?

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #891
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
It would entail removing the clutch cover, but couldn't you use this relatively inexpensive tool?

Or.... Impact wrench?
Clutch side should not be an issue(hopefully), its stator side:

Old 05-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #892
Just John
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-F...sories&vxp=mtr
Just John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #893
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just John View Post
I will need that tool too, I suppose. But, for now, I need the odd spanner wrench thing I have l circled in red.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #894
Just John
Gnarly Adventurer

The puller is all you need.
A piston stop,if you don't use a impact to pull the fly wheel nut.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #895
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Quote:
No money, no time, no truck and no trailer...NO go this year. Ride the local pines and you might have a DZ spotting.

Now the Hammer is along time away.Your schedule might change.

Your not that far away from there,i can grab ya on the way.

Just keep it in mind.
My favorite ride of the year.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #896
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Now the Hammer is along time away.Your schedule might change.

Your not that far away from there,i can grab ya on the way.

Just keep it in mind.
My favorite ride of the year.
Yeah, we'll see. Boy should be almost a year old by then...might be easier to handle.

Hopefully bike will be together and running.

Thanks Scotty...I'll get out and ride with you guys yet.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #897
DougZ73
Fading off.........

So, although I did not really get any further with motor, but my buddy did bring over the tool I need for both the clutch side and the flywheel/stator side, to get further into motor.

We did a little brainstorming, and since all the usual culprits were all intact, rings, alignment pins, circlip, etc. , he came up with a theory that a small piece of the nikasil coating might have come off, and caused this damage. I am starting to think that might be right....especially since when I put it pack together the first time, the cylinder did have a very very small spot on one of the lower ports that chipped. I also could have chipped or scratched it when I redid the base gaskets, trying to chase my lean condition.

I would have never thought that Nikasil coating was that hard...but if so, could have acted like a grain of hard sand.

Thoughts??
Old 05-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #898
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,417
The coating is extremly thin and adheres to the cyl material well, I guess that could happen but it'd be extremly rare. The Nikasal process is well proven in that regard, that's not to say the plating company did everything correctly.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:20 AM   #899
Just John
Gnarly Adventurer

Have you pulled the jug ?
Did it lock and stay locked up....or free up after cooling off ?
What pilot,needle,main and slide ?

These motors need lots of fuel,in the sand.

The hard starting you had was screaming very lean pilot.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #900
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:

I use one of those (large size) rubber strap wrenches that Lowe's and Home Depot have. The one I bought had 3 sizes (the small one went into the kitchen drawer to open jars ).
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote