Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2010, 05:02 AM   #91
RickA
Fat Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Winter in the U.K.

Hi all,

Pic taken of me and my 300 a week ago here in North Wales.

We had to turn back on most of the trails and eventually opted for the Pub instead. Great fun though.

Cheers, Rick.
Attached Images

RickA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:22 AM   #92
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickA
Hi all,

Pic taken of me and my 300 a week ago here in North Wales.

We had to turn back on most of the trails and eventually opted for the Pub instead. Great fun though.

Cheers, Rick.
Nice pic.

I think me and my not-so-smooth throttle hand would have also opted for the "Pub".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pom
Excuse my lack of knowledge, I am thinking of buying one of this baby KTMs and was wondering what the differences between the 250 and 300 are - apart from the extra 50cc that is...........
cheers
Pom
I have an XC-W. From what I can tell, other than the bore (which makes the 50cc's you spoke of), the only difference I know of (between my 3-honey and the 250 XC-W) is the E-Start. Both are compatible with it, but the 300 comes with it.

Keep in mind that the above is just my ignorant opinion...You will probably be safer if you wait for some of the more "well-informed", of this thread, to chime-in.

The hell with it...Just get the 300! You know you want to...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:03 AM   #93
Pom
Old fart on big bike

Oddometer: 157
experience counts

warrior
many thanks for the prompt reply, it a I thought - I would rarther hear from someone with experience anyday over someone who has read about them lots
cheers
pom
Old 02-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #94
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pom
Excuse my lack of knowledge, I am thinking of buying one of this baby KTMs and was wondering what the differences between the 250 and 300 are - apart from the extra 50cc that is...........
cheers
Pom
Pom, I've never ridden a 250, but other than the points made by WarriorPrince, I would expect there might be (quite) a few hp as the most notable difference.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #95
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack
Pom, I've never ridden a 250, but other than the points made by WarriorPrince, I would expect there might be (quite) a few hp as the most notable difference.
DirtJack does make a very good point.

In many "for sale" ads, that I see for used KTM "250" two-strokes, you will see the, "bike has 300 kit" words in the ad.

EDIT: Pom, After re-reading many of the last posts in this thread, I also had the opportunity to re-read mine (and yours). I hope my "well-informed" observation was not taken the wrong way. I actually meant it quite literally. I have been riding and wrenching on bikes for years. However, there are many gentlemen, in this thread, who have ten-times the experience with these 300's that I do. All I can offer is my very limited, and very humble, opinion.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 02-03-2010 at 02:26 PM
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:01 AM   #96
Pom
Old fart on big bike

Oddometer: 157
All info welcome

Warrior, no, not at all, I have no knowledge of these funny two stroke things, so I really appreciate hearing from someone who has chosen to own them, rarther than many others who talk about what they don't really known about.
Once again, many thanks, now to get some money out of wife............
pom
Old 02-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #97
Death Dealer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Recent Review

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-89083.html
1982 Yamaha Maxim - sold
Death Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #98
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,095
Yes, since emissions are specific to the state, the title clear it for titling. No need for an inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb
My understanding:
From the dealer, definitely a grey area... The 300's are not sold by KTM as EPA/DOT compliant, and therefore not street legal as sold by KTM. But they also don't (or didn't a year or two ago) say "off-road use only" on the title. Evidently some dealerships have had good luck with just submitting the title paperwork and having CO DOT issue a title, not differentiating between the truly street legal KTM dirt bikes (450/530 EXC's) and some of their other bikes.

But even if that doesn't work, in Colorado it is relatively easy and inexpensive (though not as easy as it was a few years ago) to take an off-road bike and get a title/plate for it. This thread has more info than you could ever dream about on the subject! While the process seems to differ a bit depending on which State Patrol barrack does the inspection, in summary you: Add DOT tires, horn, reflectors, brake light, tail light, headlight, mirror, print out some forms, get it inspected by State Patrol for VIN and compliance, bring everything to MVD and if you jumped through every hoop perfectly the first time, get your title and plate! Evidently getting an appointment and consistent application of the rules with the State Patrol is the biggest hassle...

This route, however, can not be done by the dealer directly, but only by the owner. Ironically, the thing that makes it sometimes possible for dealers to semi-legitimately title a KTM dirt bike causes problems with the legitimate process. The title or bill of sale MUST SAY for off road use only! So if the title does not, make sure the bill of sale does, and leave the title at home when you go to MVD.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #99
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig
Yes, since emissions are specific to the state, the title clear it for titling. No need for an inspection.
Emissions is a Fed thing that different states regulate differently when doing a conversion from OHV to street legal. Colorado does not inspect motorcycles for emissions on any level.
In California, once a dirt bike - always a dirt bike, and they use emissions as one reason to eliminate (since 2004) the possibility of plating a dirt bike.

In Colorado, the reason it's essential the MSO or Bill of Sale has "for off road use only" on it, is to verify the vehicle has never been titled, so there's no requirement to do a title search to see if the machine had ever been street legal before. We are blessed with a very relaxed set of rules to comply with to make an offroad vehicle street legal (no speedo, turn signals, etc req'd).

new 2003 300 EXC, a bike I should never have let go of.

2003 250 EXC I just bought to fix that mistake.

IBA #11735 . 1968-present

Blakebird screwed with this post 02-05-2010 at 07:12 PM
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #100
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,095
Maybe we are saying the same thing. A new KTM comes with a MSO without the words "for offroad use only". Since Colorado doesn't restrict registration of motorcycle, it can be registered-thus emissions are a local/state option.

Conversion of vehicles from non-titled or "off road use only" to road use is a state matter entirely and restricted by the feds.

Now, EPA regs for import are a federal thing all together.

So, are we saying something different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird
Emissions is a Fed thing that different states regulate differently when doing a conversion from OHV to street legal. Colorado does not inspect motorcycles for emissions on any level.
In California, once a dirt bike - always a dirt bike, and they use emissions as one reason to eliminate (since 2004) the possibility of plating a dirt bike.

In Colorado, the reason it's essential the MSO or Bill of Sale has "for off road use only" on it, is to verify the vehicle has never been titled, so there's no requirement to do a title search to see if the machine had ever been street legal before. We are blessed with a very relaxed set of rules to comply with to make an offroad vehicle street legal (no speedo, turn signals, etc req'd).

new 2003 300 EXC, a bike I should never have let go of.

2003 250 EXC I just bought to fix that mistake.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #101
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,706
Such a versatile bike. I want to add one to my collection as it will most certainly go down in history as one of (if not THE) best off-road bike ever made.

A guy brought an 08 300 XC-We to the MX track and he let me put some laps on it. It was way light compared to my 520SX and much smoother. The W tranny didn't seem to bother it too much even in the deep sand corners. Not sure if the XC model is the same but I found the throttle to have too much rotation. I like it quick.
Anyway, the bike had me in "super" attack position with my head way out front to keep the bike low out of corners. Even a gear high it would drive hard enough to float the front wheel. I wouldn't say it was a one-gear bike but pretty close. Chugs nice at low RPM, hard to stall and lots of warning before it does.

WarriorPrince: Not sure what year CR500 you had but I can tell you it's way smoother than my 86 with an FmF Gnarly pipe. Not as much peak power as my CR but a much broader powerband. CR is brutal in comparison. Can ride the KTM 300 faster longer than the CR500.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #102
BENJAMANIAC
Dakar aspirations!

Oddometer: 183
Potential

These bikes have alot of potential, I took a 08 250sx and built a hoped up 300 out of it. The timing of the 250 allowed me to create (with a few other tweaks, compression increase, porting, exc) a bike that pulls harder off the bottom and revs through the roof like the 250sx. Best of both worlds.

VOHK performance in kremmling can do the conversion pretty quick.
Same guy who does the sleds for chris burrant.
KTM 02 520 EXC
Beta 09 250T
BENJAMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:29 AM   #103
Wylie
Back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 2,234
Oh god help me, I've found a 03 300 MXC for $2500.00 that looks to be just my flavour. Here I go classifieds with plenty o goods for sale!

So may I trouble those of the great Orange knowledge bank in letting me know if this might be the magic button beast I search for or at least have the potential to be my fetish fulfilment with such an animal?

See my interests in the 300 KTM would be to end up with a bright orange Euro type E start, HID lighted, LED signalled fully street legal beepada beep beepin ringada ding dingin street goin thingada winga dinger. Got a little excited there.

Consider me thread subscribed!

I just read this whole thread again and feel assured I can E-start/dual sport this bike the way I would like. It looks very likely I can plate it here in Idaho too, the title may spell bill of sale in a cryptic kinda way that has yet to be seen. I do seem to remember something about being able to own one street going 2 stroke here in Idaho, this could likely be the one.

I'm not sure where I came off with those pictures back there after the information that had been posted.

Thanks for the posts on the pipe protectors too, this bike has one from what I can see of the pictures!

Okay, screw it, stop the world I'm getting off.

Wylie screwed with this post 02-21-2010 at 06:20 AM
Wylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:04 AM   #104
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie

See my interests in the 300 KTM would be to end up with a bright orange Euro type E start, HID lighted, LED signalled fully street legal beepada beep beepin ringada ding dingin street goin thingada winga dinger. Got a little excited there.

Consider me thread subscribed!
Sorry Wylie, 2008 was the first year of the E-start. If you can plate the bike in Idaho, the rest of your dream is a definite possibility though.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:47 AM   #105
Wylie
Back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 2,234
Maybe I should have slept last night, Thanks GRONK!

If I can pull the cash together she may be mine.

Crappy picture, I know.
[IMG][/IMG]

Okay, screw it, stop the world I'm getting off.
Wylie is offline   Reply With Quote