User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
Cavaleiro OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Short bed or long bed pickup ?

I'm considering a pickup and am trying to choose between a crew cab that has a 67 inch bed, or a regular cab with a 79 inch bed. These are the measurements of a Toyota Tacoma (edit meant to say Tundra), but I believe the issue and question are the same for almost any full size pickup.

The standard beds have boxes that put both tires of a motorcycle inside the bed, and for most bikes allow the tail gate to close.

The crew cabs give great room to rear seat passengers, but usually at the expense of a shortened box.

I'm inclined to get a crew cab and let the motorcycle rear tires sit on the tail gate. In my case there are two 500 pound bikes, so with weight evenly distributed between front and rear wheels, thats 500 pounds on the tailgate.

Anyone had good or bad experience with that?

Obrigado

Cavaleiro screwed with this post 01-14-2010 at 07:07 AM
Cavaleiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
igrip
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I've heard to put a sheet of plywood/etc to evenly distribute the weight and remove some weight from the tailgate. Seems like cheap easy insurance to me.

Long bed more functional, but at the expense of parking trouble, etc...However, if you ever plan to add a toolbox, the shortbed will be deemed useless.

Hope this helped....
igrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
AzB
Fattest thin man

Oddometer: 3,461
FWIW, I've never liked using a pickup with a large bike. The bed is just too high and it makes it very difficult getting the bike in and out, especially by myself. A trailer works better, and a van is next best.

Az
Old 01-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #4
fung
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
i'd say the plywood trick would help with the lbs. I have a dodge crew with 8ft bed. Parking is not the most fun, kind of like an aircraft carrier I like to have the tailgate shut. I use a 40" wide bike ramp for loading/unloading. I would rather not use a trailer unless i have too one less thing to worry about. This set up works great for me.
fung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:52 AM   #5
testa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
i have a full cab short bed f150 and routinely carry one 990 adv or two dirt bikes. it works fine. i've never tried two big bikes but i wouldn't hesitate to do so. personally, i would not give up the full cab but you need to establish your own priorities.

you could always borrow a short bed, load your bikes and drive around some to see how it feels.
testa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,122
ive got a Taco and a 500 lb bike(r12gs), and i wouldnt want to have to deal with two such monsters int he narrow bed of the toyota. it is hard enugh to get the recomended tiedown angles with a single thumper back there(partly becuase toyota doesnt think you need forward tiedown loops and the system on the rails is spooky for that much load). a 500 lb bike without the proper angles on the srtap is a disaster waiting to happen.

trailers are cheap, and get the 4dr cab, you wont regret it...

lightfighter screwed with this post 01-12-2010 at 07:20 AM
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,455
Long bed is the way to go with a truck that gets used. Short bed for posers and people who don't actually use the bed of the truck much.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,122
ummm, what are you posing as if you have a short bed? a guy whose truck will fit in his garage? hehe
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #9
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
I like the looks of a short bed, but the convenience of a long bed. But if it came down to regular cab vs crew cab....I wouldn't own a regular cab truck. It's just way too impractical. The extra space an extended cab offers more than makes up for a short bed. My Tundra only has a 6.5" bed. I can fit my XRL in there with the tailgate up if I angle it into a corner. I've hauled it a lot like this...no problems, I just use 3 tie downs. But, I can put two bikes side by side and rest them on the tailgate if needed. I've hauled my bike that way too in a pinch. I wouldn't spend my money on a regular cab truck....just my opinion.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,283
I sold my 02 double cab Taco after the weight of a sportbike rear tire bent the tailgate. I would bolt a piece of treadbrite to the tailgate to strengthen it if I were getting another Toyota.

I think it might be pretty narrow to have two bikes in the bed side by side as well.

Scott
Old 01-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
Jeff_CA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Avalanche???

Hi,

I had a long-bed 'extended cab' diesel for many years. It was great (except to park). The family outgrew the cab and I was in the situation as you. I ended up with a Chevy Avalance. Kind of like most dual-sports...OK at many things but not perfect at any. Five people fit in with an almost 6 foot bed, or fold down the back seat and drop the mid-gate and I can carry 4X8 plywood.

Might be worth a look...
Jeff_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #12
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,069
As mentioned the extended cab is the way to go, which you'll appreciate the first time you and another person go to get groceries in the rain, or a bunch of ice cream in august.

As for carrying the bike, I'd say get a small trailer and you'll be much happier no matter what length the bed is.
GreaseMonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #13
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
Long bed is the way to go with a truck that gets used.
+1

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #14
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,115
Short bed works just fine, just take the gate off:

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #15
duckman
unindited co consperitor

Oddometer: 778
Short bed works just fine The tailgate has a 300-lb. dynamic-load capacity and can safely support the weight of most large loads such as motorcycles. The bed in the Ridgeline has a Steel-Reinforced Composite (SRC) material that's both lighter and stronger than steel.
"sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc" 'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote