Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #31
heffy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
How things USEd to be is pretty irrelevant. I used to buy R60's and R69's for 5 or 6 hundred- and they were good running bikes. So what?

It's worth whatever you're willing to pay.
I sold a super low-miles GB500 with some goodies like a Pit Bull, new tires, manual, etc. for $5K. He gets home and says "his friend" told him he paid too much.
Bottom line- you're looking at an older bike. What's it worth to YOU and are you willing to take a chance on something cheaper coming along later? If you're likely to have buyers remorse, watch prices more, make a decision, and don't listen to anyone later. Don't even tell anyone what you paid.
Well, I just bought my first airhead. NOT the one that I originally asked about. Instead, I bought a 1973 R75/6 with 16k miles!

and I got a fantastic deal on it too! This is seriously one of those "holy crap, you got a great deal" instances. Comes with front fairing and plastic saddlebags.

It runs, but it died on me while taking a test ride. I put the choke on full throttle and moved a small lever on the right (something about 'reserve', but I'm not quite sure what it is) and it fired right back up. I think the engine might not be getting enough gas without the choke on full speed.

Anyway, I paid for the bike and took the title home. I'm gonna call a few friends to see if they can give me a ride to pick it up tomorrow. Plus, it's only like 10 miles from my home!
heffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #32
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,660
good stuff. You have yourself a fine, fine bike indeed. Except you just bought a /5, if it's a 1973. If it's a /6, some of them had '73 date codes on the VIN for when they were built, but they were 1974 models (like many other bikes).

If it only has 16k miles and hasn't been kept up to snuff, be prepared to replace every piece of rubber on the bike. Good winter project!

dc
Country Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #33
heffy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc
good stuff. You have yourself a fine, fine bike indeed. Except you just bought a /5, if it's a 1973. If it's a /6, some of them had '73 date codes on the VIN for when they were built, but they were 1974 models (like many other bikes).

If it only has 16k miles and hasn't been kept up to snuff, be prepared to replace every piece of rubber on the bike. Good winter project!

dc
I'm sorry, it's a 1976. It'll definitely be an adventure!
heffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #34
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,870
Congrats! I fell into the airhead quagmire 2 years ago as of November with the R80 ST. Despite it being pretty good condition bike, it has demanded the attention to all the little (and old) bits & pieces as you would expect of a 27 year old bike(and sadly one big item - transmission stored too long with water in the oil). Despite that, and an ongoing challenge to make the seat and my butt get along peacefully for more than 2 hours at a time, the bike continues to grow on me. From what many folks on here post, that is a common phenomenon. Expect to invest some more $$ into the airhead experience. In the end, the good days experienced will make you never even think about totalling up the receipts. And as you get everything sorted properly you will end up with a nice dependable ride that is like very little else out there on two wheels.

Pics when you get some, please.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #35
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by heffy
I'm sorry, it's a 1976. It'll definitely be an adventure!
Excellent, that's the best year! (updated tranny, better forks, etc.).

dc
Country Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #36
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
yep, i'd get an 80gs pd before this one, any day, for this sort of $!
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #37
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by heffy
I got a fantastic deal on it too! This is seriously one of those "holy crap, you got a great deal" instances. Comes with front fairing and plastic saddlebags.

It runs, but it died on me while taking a test ride. I put the choke on full throttle and moved a small lever on the right (something about 'reserve', but I'm not quite sure what it is) and it fired right back up. I think the engine might not be getting enough gas without the choke on full speed.

Sounds like you got a great deal, and need some learning soon.
There is a lever on the side (or sides) of the fuel tank
on the later bikes if the long end of the lever is point up toward's the sky
that's the reserve. if it's pointing to the front or rear of the bike
That's off.

Good luck and post pictures.
Also If you've not taken a class I highly recomend taking a motorcycle safety class.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #38
Shmerel

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish
Also If you've not taken a class I highly recomend taking a motorcycle safety class.
yeah sure, i agree, but why now and here? sounds like my 'ol grannie.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #39
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmerel
yeah sure, i agree, but why now and here? sounds like my 'ol grannie.
Yea, um 'cause the OP didn't know where/what the petcock was...
Is kind of a tip-off that they are a new rider.

And stalling in traffic could get you killed. And I don't like motorcycle riders getting killed.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #40
Shmerel

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish
Yea, um 'cause the OP didn't know where/what the petcock was...
Is kind of a tip-off that they are a new rider.

And stalling in traffic could get you killed. And I don't like motorcycle riders getting killed.
i see. good point. i assumed anyone doing this is so into bikes that the skill levels are right up there. here that's generally the case.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #41
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind
Ok, I don't agree with the masses. /5's and especially toasters have picked up in price and desireablity the last year or two. If it's truely the mileage listed and it is a gem that's about what you can expect to pay. I sold one with 33,000 in May for $5250 less than 24 hours after posting in on ADVrider. A buddy sold his r60/5 low mileage very nice toaster at the same time for $4500.00. I'm not saying I wouldn't offer the guy $4250 or something to start but it's not out of line with what I've experienced and seen lately.

Some airheads have suffered more than others in value the last couple years, the r100gs's for one and lots of your "normal" /6-/7 etc airheads, but r90s's, slash 5's and r80g/s haven't nearly as badly
JT is again on the money w/ his post above, in my opinion.

To the original point, I would think $5K is on the higher side of the curve for sure, but if you can get documentation regarding the machine, including a tranny or top end rebuild for example, then the $5K becomes quite reasonable real quick like. In the case of JT's machine mentioned above, if memory serves the bike was in top-notch mechanical as well as cosmetic condition, w/ the records to prove it, so he got a "premium" price, if you will, for a "premium" machine.

To illustrate a bit further, when I got my first /5 a few years ago I immediately went thruogh it ending up putting quite a bit of money in it getting it to 100%, but I went into the deal knowing this would be the case. (This is not to say that the bike was even close to a basket case by any means, I rode it home 900 miles when I bought it, just to give you an idea.) But, new cables, fork rebuild, a tranny rebuild, some new seals here and there, and things start adding up quickly. However, in the end I'm now rewarded with a machine that I have total confidence in--runs, shifts & handles perfectly--and one that I feel would command a "premium" price were I to sell it because of the efforts that were put into it, which includes all of the associated documentation regarding what I've done thus far.

Opinions will always vary, but the point is that $5K for a /5 is not at all unreasonable, for the right machine...

YMMV--

kix

it makes everything better.
kixtand is online now   Reply With Quote