Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2004, 07:27 PM   #1
Mr D Hertz OP
Old and Tired Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Product review: BMS saddle for '02 640 Adventure

Hi all!
I just had a new seat built for my '02 640 Adventure by "Rocky" Mayer and the crew (Adrian and Carlos) at Bill Mayer Saddles in Ojai CA. Here is a brief review of my experience:
I arrived at just after 8AM on the day of my ride-in appointment. I was warmly greeted by Carolyn, who was slightly stunned that I managed to get my 24' bobtail truck all the way down the rather tight and twisty driveway. (she says I now hold the record for the largest truck ever at their door.....at least it wasn't the record for the largest ass!) After a few minutes of getting acquainted with everyone, and an offer for some morning coffee, Rocky showed up and we got to work.
First, I chose a cover material .... I went for the standard black naugahyde type thing. Then, Rocky had me sit on the bike while he took some basic measurements. Soon, the seat was in progress. As it was taking shape, we fit it on the bike a few times along the way to make sure everything was feeling good to me. At one point, I went on a 20 minute ride just to be sure we were on the right track. It was already a huge improvement!
Before too long, the seat was finished and I went for another ride. Wow! What a difference! This is the seat I had been looking for!
Let me explain something here: about a year ago I took a trip to Corbin for a ride-in seat appointment for this same bike. I arrived there at about 8AM as well. That's just about where the similarity ends. Although the actual process of building the seat appears to be very similar (to my untrained eye) between these 2 companies, the experience for me was quite different. At Corbin, they assigned a relatively "new" employee to me. I thought that was odd, considering I had just ridden 10 hours or so to get there....but I went with it. He was helpful, but seemed a little unsure, and would often disappear for long periods of time. Corbin thoughtfully provides a lunch for all their ride-in customers. Finally, at about 5:30pm (I was the last one out, but certainly not the last one in) they finished the seat......except there were problems with it. The cover wasn't sewn correctly and it didn't really fit too well. Unfortunately, it was so late that all the seamstresses had gone home. To their credit, Corbin wrote on my receipt that I was entitled to a re-cover at no charge at any time in the future. However, I had just basically wasted an entire day there. I have not had the opportunity yet (a year later) to return and get the seat finished. I suppose I could ship it, but I'd rather be involved in the process. Rest assured that at some point I will give Corbin a chance to make it right, and I will report on it afterwards. Customer service is the name of the game, right?
That brings me back to the really excellent experience I had at BMS. The fit and finish is perfect, and I couldn't be happier with the product. Rocky and Carolyn were both great, and he was personally involved in the seat construction all the way. Rocky also showed me a few examples of other brands of custom seats that were in his shop for a rebuild. Let's just say that the construction of the other seat maker's products was generally inferior if not outright GARBAGE....and some of them charge a lot more than BMS! When you really see what is under the cover, it is quite surprising, to say the least!
All in all, it was a great day! I felt enriched by the experience of meeting Rocky and the crew, and I left with a great new saddle. All this and done before 1pm!
Rocky - my ass thanks you, and I thank you!
(I never thought I would say that to another man!)
Mitch

I don't seem to be able to upload right now....if someone will help me post pictures, I'll show you how it turned out.

Mr D Hertz screwed with this post 09-28-2004 at 01:16 PM
Mr D Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 09:09 PM   #2
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,070
Eagerly awaiting pics and a ride report.

Old 09-28-2004, 09:09 AM   #3
Mr D Hertz OP
Old and Tired Adventurer

Thumb More about Adventure seats....

While we wait for the pics to be posted, let me just add a few opinions here about making the KTM 640 Adventure seats more comfortable.
With all due respect to Flanny, or whoever came up with the "remove chunks of the foam" mod for the 640 Adventure seat, I think it is the wrong approach. (Feel free to disagree if that mod has made a huge difference in your comfort level on the bike.) I have always thought that the softness or hardness of the foam is a MUCH smaller issue than the WIDTH of the foam. Of course, seats like the ones on EXCs and such are a different level of hardness, but on those bikes you don't sit much anyways. However, in using the true dual sport capabilities of the Adventure bikes, the seat quickly becomes a major issue.
In my opinion, it's all about the "pounds per square inch" you put on your motorcycle seat. Sure, the hardness of the foam is a factor, but having a larger area to set your butt on is REALLY important. I haven't tried the James seat, and I'm sure it is an improvement, but I still think you need to increase the surface area to decrease the load significantly. The trick is to do it in a way that looks good and is still functional for off roading.
That's why I like the Mayer seat. It doesn't look that much different than stock. I can still slide back easily. Standing on the pegs is not awkward. The seat cover I chose feels pretty "grippy"...just as "grippy" as the stock cover I think. On the negative side, it does raise the seating position somewhat. (Of course, you can determine the amount of that change during the custom fabrication of your seat)
Recently, someone posted some pics of their new Russell seat. It sure looked comfortable, and it sure looked UGLY! I suppose that if I never intended to ride my bike off road, the Russell would be a fine alternative. But if you never intend to ride off road, why would you buy a 640 Adventure?
Perhaps having 2 different seats is the real answer for some. After all, it's only 1 bolt to loosen! It's really not a bad solution.
But for those of you who want to have only 1 seat for frequent road use and infrequent off road use....in my humble opinion, the Mayer seat is currently the best combination of comfort, function, and good looks.
Mitch

Mr D Hertz screwed with this post 09-28-2004 at 10:59 AM
Old 09-28-2004, 09:38 AM   #4
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
someone with a smugmug account take this guys pics and post them...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 11:09 AM   #5
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,312
Photos

I sent the Mr. D a p.m......

I'll post 'em if he sends 'em

CC

Whoooopssss......he sent 'em.....here they come

ChrisC screwed with this post 09-28-2004 at 11:15 AM
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 11:16 AM   #6
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Most excellent lookin' chair....

Posted for Mr. D...

Old 09-28-2004, 11:22 AM   #7
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Mo seat....

Old 09-28-2004, 11:34 AM   #8
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,730
i want my bike orange

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 11:41 AM   #9
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,250
Wee bit off topic (saddle looks nice BTW)... I noticed the aftermarket tank stickers... I stripped my OEM's off too, but I am now still debating whether to do afix them asymetrically like he has in the photos (the tank "lines" on left and right ar not symetric) or to appease my inner anal retentive self and mount them symetrically regardless of the "lines"... What do ya'll think?

Michael

PS - sorry for the miny hijack...

Also, Creep convinced me to go Bojangle on my 640 and after talking to Bo, we may explore a bit wider of a saddle - somewhere between this and stock...
Old 09-28-2004, 11:53 AM   #10
Mr D Hertz OP
Old and Tired Adventurer

You can only see 1 side at a time......subdue the anal rententive within you.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:37 PM   #11
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr D Hertz
With all due respect to Flanny, or whoever came up with the "remove chunks of the foam" mod for the 640 Adventure seat, I think it is the wrong approach.
Wasn't me....

What I did was:
- replace stock foam with closed cell foam (key in preventing the open cell foam from colapsing under load...the basis of good support)
- make the seat wider by about 1.5inches
- flatten the angle on the seat to prevent forward tilt of the pelvis.

Some people have been drilling out foam "cores" to soften the seat...I don't think that would work, since you are actually making the foam collapse more.

Gotta tel 'ya though...I really don't dig "dished" seats on dirt bikes...an off-road machine really needs a flat seat to allow proper positioning in all situations... I guess it just depends on your prioirity between road and dirt...but it's just not my bag.

Flanny screwed with this post 09-28-2004 at 01:43 PM
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 01:43 PM   #12
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
i want my bike orange
Me too! A nice 2004 950 orange or the VW pumpkin orange with some black highlights.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 01:47 PM   #13
Mr D Hertz OP
Old and Tired Adventurer

Sorry....I couldn't remember who came up with that misguided seat mod. I should have figured it wasn't you. I agree with all that you did and said.
The equation goes something like this:

The depth of the dish should be equal to the ratio of asphalt to dirt.

Mitch
Old 09-28-2004, 01:57 PM   #14
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr D Hertz
The depth of the dish should be equal to the ratio of asphalt to dirt.

Mitch

Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 02:22 PM   #15
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,165
BMS is the BEST!!!

Sounds like yours is working out as good as mine.
Velocibiker is offline   Reply With Quote