User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Bushwhacker OP
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Street Oriented Tires for the F800GS

I only have about 4500 miles on the GS but I am headed to the Grand Canyon, Utah and Colorado in September (about 4000 miles) and I am going to change the tires before I go.

Since my bike appears to be in the Chain Recall I plan to have the tires replaced when I take the bike in to get the chain and sprockets replaced.

I think I have narrowed the tire choice down to

Conti Trail Attacks

Pirelli Scorpian Trails

The Pirelli's are quite a bit more expensive than the Conti's. Are they worth it?

Anyone have any opinion on which is better or if there is another choice out there that is better than both.

Thanks.

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
I have used the Conti Trail Attacks, albeit on my old R12GS Adventure. LOVED THEM!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
DUC54
Giddy Up!!!

Oddometer: 95
You might take a look at the tourrance......great mileage, and good for the occasional dirt road. Pressure up a little on these. They should run at least 9k miles or so depending on speed, air pressure, and weight.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:41 AM   #4
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
You'll get a vote for everything, here.

Mine had Anakees and they were great, but gave zero warning when you transitioned from "plenty-o-grip" to "on-yer-ass" on wet tarmac. I now have knobbies but wouldn't choose Anakees again.

I've had great success with Battlewings on my Wee as a 95% road tyre, and would not hesitate to use these again, they were good.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 817
Attack!

Trail Attacks rock. Great on the street and plenty of traction for some off-pavement excursions. Plenty of dirt roads where you're going...it would be a shame not to explore some
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,196
Opposite of experience below - running Anakee 2's - luv 'em. If you were closer I'd give you a set of lightly used BW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
You'll get a vote for everything, here.

Mine had Anakees and they were great, but gave zero warning when you transitioned from "plenty-o-grip" to "on-yer-ass" on wet tarmac. I now have knobbies but wouldn't choose Anakees again.

I've had great success with Battlewings on my Wee as a 95% road tyre, and would not hesitate to use these again, they were good.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #7
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUC54
You might take a look at the tourrance......great mileage, and good for the occasional dirt road. Pressure up a little on these. They should run at least 9k miles or so depending on speed, air pressure, and weight.
+1. I have found the Tourance to be the best all around tire for the F8. Good wet and dry traction, decent wear, and it will handle most everything off road except mud.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:02 AM   #8
Jedi5150
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 558
I haven't bothered to check yet, do they make the Conti "Road Attack" for the 21" front? I had Road Attacks for my 1200GS and absolutely loved them! I'd get them in a heartbeat for a replacement for my 800GS if they come in that size.
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
TireIron
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen
Opposite of experience below - running Anakee 2's - luv 'em. If you were closer I'd give you a set of lightly used BW's.
Another +1 for Anakee 2's

Past weekend they were awesome on road, off road (loose gravel, mud) it rained hard I had no problems at all running on dry / wet road tarmac or dirt / mud & gravel. They wear well and have harder composition on center of tire with softer toward sides great on / off road option.
TireIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
I just got back from a 4,500 mile road trip to the Grand Canyon from Vancouver and had an Anakee2 on the front and Anakee on the rear (Anakee2 was out of stock). They were amazing. Absolutely nothing bad or critical to say about them... and now that I'm back, they barely look worn.

Back to the K60s now but will always go back to the Anakee for a road trip tire.

cheers,
Mark
Old 06-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
TastyPants
Harasshole

Oddometer: 226
Metzeler Tourance

+1 Tourance.

Spooned a pair on last Friday before a 7 day trip around northern CA. Much better than the Stock Battlewings. They handled twisties just as well if not better than the battlewings and felt way more at home on dirt and gravel. I got about 8200 out of the stockers and if these last that long I will be running them from here on out. Great tire.
TastyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
+2 Tourance.

Still getting used to them and haven't had them off-road yet. We've been getting a little rain in the morning where I live and I have to say they grip really well in wet conditions. Impressed and happy. Looking forward to seeing how they work on some fire roads.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #13
twisticles
n00b

Oddometer: 7
+3 on the Conti Trail Attacks. I didn't notice any difference between wet & dry to be honest, much confidence.

I have a couple of Heidenau K76s in the garage waiting for the Contis to wear out. The tread is similar to the tourance, with slightly larger tread and gaps, and if the K60 is anything to go by I would expect them to be very hard wearing.

Some guy on here runs them on his 1200GS with good results
twisticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #14
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 609
I have a Tourance on the rear and it works great for pavement and gravel. When it starts to get muddy (or in deep gravel) it gets pretty squirrelly. I've got about 7.5k on mine now and it's got a bit of a "band" in the center from highway riding but the tread is still at least 50% in the center and may as well be brand new on the sides.

On the front I'm using a Pirelli Scorpion A/T and while it actually performs well off-pavement (same deal as the Tourance), it seems to be sorta shaky on the road. Not sure if my wheel is warped, off balance, or if the tire just sucks that badly. There is a definite noticeable "wobble" when I stand up and look at the tire tread while rolling. I never noticed it when I had the TKCs on. It doesn't really prevent me from riding anything, but it's less than confidence inspiring. Buyer beware?

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo screwed with this post 06-30-2010 at 10:41 AM
Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #15
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 535
I have Pirelli Scorpion Trails

to the OP, I have no experience with the "Attack" version but my F8 came with Scorpion Trail mounted and I liked them at first. Based on that when I needed tires for my GSA1150 about midway thru a 5,000 mile trip this spring I had Scorpion Trails put on - and instantly regretted it. The Scorp Trail seems very stiff, no matter what pressure and I could feel every pebble on the road with the 1150. Also, by the time I was home at 3,000 miles the front was cupping and there was a weird vibration coming off the front end - I was very careful about air pressure on the trip.
I didn't notice any of this on the F8 but it's a new bike and somewhat stiffer riding than my 1150 anyway, I've only got about 3,000 miles on the f8 but there's no cupping yet.
My favorite tire so far is definitely the Anakees over Tourances, they feel stickier in wet and seem to hook up a bit better on dirt roads. They don't seem to last as long as the Conti tires, though. I'll be going to Anakees when the Scorpions are done.

hope this helps.
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote