Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2010, 08:52 PM   #16
fitenfyr
Dirt is Good

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
If your only stopping for five or 10 minutes, just stop the bike with the kill switch and leave the key on. The bike draws very little current like this as it shuts off the low beam headlight and engine management, the ABS setting will be retained.

For a weekend of off roading, pop the seat and pull the connector TO THE LEFT OF THE BATTERY. This will disable abs till the connector is reconnected.
Get the ABS it is a nice to have and like said you can turn it off when you don't want it.
Up until I got my 1200GS last summer I had never had ABS on a bike. Honestly I didn't know what I was missing really.
However the BMW ABS works pretty well and I don't mind it being there. Frankly though it engages kind of quickly for my tastes, but I am getting used to it.

I also use the key trick off road. Just DON'T forget.
The ride gets really exciting when you do.

Also forgetting to turn it back on when you hit the roadway can be thrilling also. Especially when you are used to it being there and the rear end unweights on you during hard braking.
2005 F650GS
http://www.jasonstiffey.com
fitenfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:45 AM   #17
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
I bought mine with ABS.

Even if you don't want ABS, most other buyers will, so having it will pay for itself when you sell the bike in the future. You can semi-permanently disable it by unplugging it, as described above, or use the toggle switch.

I wouldn't buy a road car without stability control and I wouldn't buy a bike without ABS anymore. None of my previous bikes have had ABS, but I can think of a stack of situations where I wished they did.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #18
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,527
ABS is here to stay. It works. It will pay itself off one way or another as pointed by others.
Get it.
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #19
reddof
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Question

Sorry for such a stupid question, but what exactly are the disadvantages to using ABS off-road? I've never owned a bike with ABS but am getting a F800GS (with ABS) in a couple weeks and am just wondering if I need to take measures to ensure I don't accidentally use it off-road causing the wheel to fall off or the bike to spontaneously explode.
Obviously it's about the handling, but I'm trying to figure out how wet pavement is that much different.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!
reddof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #20
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddof
Sorry for such a stupid question...
There are no stupid questions, reddof. Except maybe, is Glenn Beck a moron wrapped in an idiot?

But to your question: The main reason to switch off ABS when off-roading is this: Imagine yourself riding downhill, accelerating toward a turn and trying to avoid plummeting off a cliff. You apply the brakes, but because the road is gravel or dirt, and therefore a loose surface, the ABS releases the brakes, and you accelerate toward the edge, and off you go, into the wild blue yonder.

Once you've experienced the "thrill" of that situation, you'll have a visceral reason to remember to switch off the ABS.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #21
Zacharia_11
11th Assassin

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddof
Sorry for such a stupid question, but what exactly are the disadvantages to using ABS off-road? ...
Sorry for the video - again - I looked this up on YouTube as well, since I currently have no frame of reference.

2013 Honda CB500X
Zacharia_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #22
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
There are no stupid questions, reddof. Except maybe, is Glenn Beck a moron wrapped in an idiot?

But to your question: The main reason to switch off ABS when off-roading is this: Imagine yourself riding downhill, accelerating toward a turn and trying to avoid plummeting off a cliff. You apply the brakes, but because the road is gravel or dirt, and therefore a loose surface, the ABS releases the brakes, and you accelerate toward the edge, and off you go, into the wild blue yonder.

Once you've experienced the "thrill" of that situation, you'll have a visceral reason to remember to switch off the ABS.

David
I do not have a lot of dirt experience but my understanding was that certain advanced dirt riding techniques require a locked wheel and with ABS you can not lock either wheel.

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #23
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
I love my abs but I will turn it off whenever I am on any kind of dirt!

I did not believe my buddies when they said it is bad in the dirt until I almost went off a cliff once and went into a ditch a couple times. The abs in gravel dirt etc can act like the brakes aren't eve there. This is not ALL the time but only some of the time, I haven't figured out why.

All I know is you can much easily and predictably brake in the dirt without abs. AND you can much easily, predictably, and safely brake in slippery paved situations WITH ABS.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:48 AM   #24
reddof
Adventurer

Ah, thanks for the replies. The ball bearings under the tire example really explains it. I think on dirt that the tire probably has a tendency to dig in when it locks up. Obviously that doesn't happen on asphalt.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!
Old 01-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #25
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 653
ABS Rocks on a Bike or Car A good working ABS system is the only way to go for street, pavement, ice, snow. Off road dirt I would not have a bike or car with it. Switchable is the best of both worlds. Pony up the little extra now and you won't regret it at all.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

AA stands for Alaskan Amber right?
wickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #26
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
I got mine w/o ABS only because it was the only one at the dealer at the time and because it also made the bike a lot cheaper ($900 les to be exact). If I had the extra dough and one with ABS would have been in at the time, I would have rode off with it though! That said, I had two KLR650's before the F8 and they didn't have ABS and I didn't have any problems. And I've yet to ride dumb enough to require ABS on the F8 as of yet! Drive defensively is my motto, ABS or no.

PS I know myself, and if I did have ABS I would constantly forget to turn it off when I head onto the dirt/gravel. Yes, I know, there's an ABS light. Trust me, I'd still forget!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #27
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,607
Without ABS

If you were buying a Sport touring bike I would say go ahead and get the ABS.

On the 800GS NO FUCKING WAY I WOULD WANT ABS (switch or no)

Old 01-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #28
NEVERLOST
Banned

Oddometer: 949
I dont need ABS
I am also ordering my bike without a headlight or brakes. I plan to remove the horn and tailights to save weight
NEVERLOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #29
reddof
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
PS I know myself, and if I did have ABS I would constantly forget to turn it off when I head onto the dirt/gravel. Yes, I know, there's an ABS light. Trust me, I'd still forget!
This is exactly what I'm worried about.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #30
Captain Beardylocks
travelling beardo

Oddometer: 7,428
If you can afford it, I'd get it man. I've been riding on some wet/slushy streets recently and it kicked in a few times, so I was glad to have it. If you make it part of your mental check before to hit the starter - and turn it off when appropriate - I can't see it ever being a problem.