Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #46
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.C
No need to muck around with wires to disable it for a days dirty activites. You can change the startup default to off by starting the bike with the button pressed, the default startup ABS off/on will then be the reverse of what it was before.

See this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552509
I'd prefer a mode that disabled it on the rear only. The front ABS is quite well-calibrated for gravel, letting it slip just enough. I can't think of any time I'd want to lock my front. But then, I'm not really a trail rider.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:05 AM   #47
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
I tried that trick the last time I rode off road. Didn't work for me, no matter how many times I tried,.
Bugger! It was a good idea while it lasted.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:39 AM   #48
trail90man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
real world question
Does having ABS reduce insurance cost on a MC?

If yes, then I think it may be mandatory

I just switched insurance from a 2009 650 Xcountry to a 2010 F800gs and was pleasantly suprised to see that it was about 10% cheaper (Dairyland Ins.).
The only thing me and my agent could figure out was the antilock brakes.
trail90man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #49
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,049
ABS works and it can save your ass.

It won't make you a better or safer rider, quite possibly the opposite.

Roam screwed with this post 03-14-2010 at 03:47 PM
Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #50
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
I don't care for ABS on road or off. The ability to brake steer is very important to me. I agree that ABS on wet pavement is hard to beat no matter how good you are. I avoid riding in the wet. FWIW, I ordered my F8 without it, and I am very happy I did especially when I ride with friends on other GS's (1200 and 800) that have it. Money is not an issue for me, but I don't like throwing it in the toilet either.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:57 AM   #51
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVERLOST
Does having ABS reduce insurance cost on a MC?

If yes, then I think it may be mandatory
Not on my policy. You can guarantee, however, that if you had it fitted to the bike as it came from the factory and it transpired after a crash that you had disabled it, they would pin the blame for the crash on the fact the ABS was disabled. On the back of this, they'd try and weasel out of paying, irrespective of whether or not it was a factor in the crash.

Might be exceedingly hard for them to detect if you do it via the switch, but riding on slab with it unplugged, is a bit risky from an insurance/liability POV, IMO.

FWIW, I don't care whether or not other people have ABS or not. I don't have it on my F800GS and no longer have any interest in wasting time trying to justify my reasons for this. I've ridden bikes with it on, it's just not my cup of tea for DSing. I wouldn't choose to have it on a dual sport bike, but on a road tourer, or even a full-on sportsbike like the S1000RR I'd go for it.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:57 AM   #52
yellow zebra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
was this 'trick' disproved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.C
No need to muck around with wires to disable it for a days dirty activites. You can change the startup default to off by starting the bike with the button pressed, the default startup ABS off/on will then be the reverse of what it was before.
was this 'trick' disproved? Sure would be nice when doing multi-day offroad trips, RATHER than unplugging the thing.

On multi-day trips, we ride as much gravel as possible, and then 'link'; gravel roads together by riding the occasional tar section, so it would be great to 'cancel' ABS semi-permanently!
yellow zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #53
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
If money is not an issue , why not take it with ABS? You can turn it off whenever you want . After a while , it because a reflex to include the ABS button in your starting sequence. Or , it might even be just a matter of reprogramming so that it is Off by default.

Here you go . Offroad = ABS off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SboCA...eature=related

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W

giodog2000 screwed with this post 06-29-2010 at 07:23 AM
giodog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #54
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by giodog2000
If money is not an issue , why not take it with ABS? You can turn it off whenever you want . After a while , it because a reflex to include the ABS button in your starting sequence. Or , it might even be just a matter of reprogramming so that it is Off by default.

Here you go . Offroad = ABS off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SboCA...eature=related

As for insurance issues as a few posts above, I do get a discount for having abs.

It's easy to turn off with the button, and easy to disable with the connector under the seat.

If you get in a collision, there are not going to be enough pieces left to tell if or why the abs was not working.

The accident is not going to be investigated by the NTSB even if you die, and who's to say the connector did not become unplugged on it's own?

If you go down because you locked the wheels, well I guess you really did need abs, is insurance on the bike really your primary concern?

I'd be more concerned with my body, what despite having medical insurance or socialized medicine, can't always be fixed and does indeed cover stupid which equals having abs, needing it, and having it disabled.

To the video above, yes, turn abs OFF when off road. That said, BRILIANT. I have coffee all over my lap, it came out of my nose, but totally worth it!

I haven't laughed that hard in years. Way to bomb down a hill with a fully loaded R1200GS! And I'm going to bet he did have the varios latched, they are not as secure on the R12, kinda surprised he didn't loose the other side too.

Do you have a higher quality version of that video?

It would go in my hall of fame.

P.S. Is that rider still alive?
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #55
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
As for insurance issues as a few posts above, I do get a discount for having abs.

It's easy to turn off with the button, and easy to disable with the connector under the seat.

If you get in a collision, there are not going to be enough pieces left to tell if or why the abs was not working.

The accident is not going to be investigated by the NTSB even if you die, and who's to say the connector did not become unplugged on it's own?

If you go down because you locked the wheels, well I guess you really did need abs, is insurance on the bike really your primary concern?

I'd be more concerned with my body, what despite having medical insurance or socialized medicine, can't always be fixed and does indeed cover stupid which equals having abs, needing it, and having it disabled.

To the video above, yes, turn abs OFF when off road. That said, BRILIANT. I have coffee all over my lap, it came out of my nose, but totally worth it!

I haven't laughed that hard in years. Way to bomb down a hill with a fully loaded R1200GS! And I'm going to bet he did have the varios latched, they are not as secure on the R12, kinda surprised he didn't loose the other side too.

Do you have a higher quality version of that video?

It would go in my hall of fame.

P.S. Is that rider still alive?

It's not my vid and not a friend of mine ... I just came across this vid a few months back and could only imagine what was going through his head when bike started to pick up speed: '' Oh No....Oh no ...ABS...ABS SHIT!!!!

I think the guy is alright ...you might want to send him a message to get a better version of it.

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W
giodog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #56
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by giodog2000
It's not my vid and not a friend of mine ... I just came across this vid a few months back and could only imagine what was going through his head when bike started to pick up speed: '' Oh No....Oh no ...ABS...ABS SHIT!!!!

I think the guy is alright ...you might want to send him a message to get a better version of it.
Ok, didn't realise you didn't take the video, I'll contact him.

For reference for others, I regularly lock a wheel to test traction, so I've never been caught off guard in a high sped corner with abs on.

What has happened to me is exactly what's in that video.

I've fallen on a hill, switched off the bike by the key instead of the kill switch which would leave the abs setting unchanged, and started down the rest of the hill with abs unintentionally on.

What follows is disastrous, but slow motion.

The easy solution? Pull the clutch in and switch the bike off by the key. This will disengage abs in 0.5 seconds and save from the splendid display in the video above.

Everyone who drives a Toyota or D/S with abs should practice this maneuver :)
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #57
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Quicker than quick to disable if desired; I question just how hard it would be for anyone to start their bike without engaging brain first ... we all have "moments" but why forgo the benefits of ABS ...
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #58
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2
Quicker than quick to disable if desired; I question just how hard it would be for anyone to start their bike without engaging brain first ... we all have "moments" but why forgo the benefits of ABS ...
I'm as big an advocate for ABS as anyone, and wouldn't buy a bike that didn't have it. But the number of times I've been out playing in the dirt and stopped to take a picture or answer nature's call, and forgot to disengage the ABS when I started up again...

Well, let's just say that it has happened, and I like to think that my brain is reasonably functional.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote