Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2010, 10:43 PM   #16
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast
Day 6: Back to the East side and then cross to the West again via Lewis Pass and Buller River Gorge
To get to G, can I make a suggestion? At Reefton, turn south, then right at Ikamatua (for the alternate route on the north side of the river) and on to Blackball. Stay at the Formerly the Blackball Hilton, well worth the experience. Then head to the coast near Greymouth and turn north, that section is some of the best on the entire west coast. A great lunch spot is The Bay House Cafe on Tauranga Bay, near Cape Foulwind. Thence up the Buller Gorge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #17
Powerslave
n00by tires that would be

Oddometer: 315
yep

Quote:
Signed up on Kiwibiker as Slartidbartfast and posted a note to New Members forum.

No fumigation but there was a pretty detailed biosecurity check. Wise move for an isolated island nation - I'd imagine lots of the local flora and fauna would be very vulnerable to invasive species, etc.
especially humans............... most invasive of all.......
Powerslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #18
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,782
Auckland

Without a bike, I had to ride a bus into Auckland [Note to self: next time consider staying down-town] and so with nothing better to do, I wandered around the town center for a good part of the day, just stretching my legs and getting a feel for the place. Those people reading this who are snowbound REALLY don't want to know how warm the sun and gentle sea breezes were

Auckland is the capital and largest city in New Zealand. 1.4 million people live in the city. That's a third of the total population for the entire country. As big cities go, Auckland is pretty nice - but it's still a big city and I'm anxious to get on to the South Island where I can RIDE!

Also known as The City of Sails, the harbour harboured all sorts of boats, including a few America's Cup racing yachts. The following two were on opposite sides of the same quay:

Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #19
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

South-bound

Now sitting in the business lounge at Auckland airport, preparing to leave for Christchurch. Still another day before I can pick up the bike but I'll have an afternoon to wander around the city.

Planning to meet up with another ADV inmate this afternoon, at The Twisted Hop, in Christchurch.

What a great place ADVrider is - enabling stuff like this.

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 01-16-2010 at 04:25 PM
Old 01-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #20
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,238
Before the locals get on here and tear you to shreds and feed you to the KIWI's, I feel you should know that it is a little known fact that Wellington is the capitol of New Zeland not Auckland.

Looking forward to your report.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #21
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab463
Before the locals get on here and tear you to shreds and feed you to the KIWI's, I feel you should know that it is a little known fact that Wellington is the capitol of New Zeland not Auckland.

Looking forward to your report.
Y' know I had a funny feeling that wasn't right, but as I started reading the free guide book (you know, the ones where there are twenty pages of ads for every paragraph of useful information), it said that Auckland was established as the capital. I guess I didn't find the bit where it said the capital was moved/changed. Guess I'll have to take whatever's coming to me for my geographic ignorance, Philistine that I am
Old 01-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #22
Mileater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Eh? For those snowbound...

Slarti... don't tell them about the weather we are experiencing down here in the South right now It'll make them feel homesick At least you missed Wellington (the Capital), as they are having a miserable Summer this year

Take care on the roads and KEEP LEFT! Too many of or visiting friends have been victims of a little inattention and found something large travelling in the opposite direction in "their" lane! Take your time and enjoy.

Cheers
Allan
Old 01-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #23
warewolf
Tyre critic

Quote:
it said that Auckland was established as the capital
NZ has had half a dozen capitals, even Nelson was in line for the job. The cathedral here is a monster for the size of the town, and is built from stone from all around the country to 'represent' the entire land as befits a capital. Unfortunately the capital went elsewhere, and the cathedral only has the lower storey built, which explains its odd shape.

Auckland is to NZ what Sydney is to Australia.

Wellington is to NZ what Melbourne & Canberra are to Australia.
Quote:
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #24
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Christchurch

The city of Christchurch is much more my type of place - Smaller, more Bohemian, and friendlier (not that Auckland was in any way unfriendly mind you.) There is an idyllic river winding through downtown with banks lined by some impressive trees. Obviously I am not the first person to think about such places as Stratford upon Avon, or Cambridge, as a lot of the local place names evoke such British towns and cities.

There are plenty of good coffee shops (including the obvious international brands - Ugh!) but much to my surprise, both Christchurch and Auckland seem to have quite a few surprisingly libertine businesses. It's not like walking down Bourbon Street in New Orleans, but I do get the feeling that Kiwis are generally pretty relaxed and don't take themselves too seriously.

[Note: Internet access in the hotels has been among the most expensive I have found anywhere but the public library in the city centre has free wi-fi. However, I can't access Kiwibiker.co.nz as it's blocked due to "offensive material" - Yet Advrider is apparently ok ]

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 01-16-2010 at 05:32 PM
Old 01-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #25
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Meeting in Christchurch

4:00pm today (Sunday) at the Twisted Hop
Old 01-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #26
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
Nice

Keep 'em comin' NEw Zealand is on my "bucket list" as well.

I fear once I get there it will be very hard to leave.......
Old 01-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #27
Babysteps
102° Rx = + /_\

Oddometer: 544
Hey Slarti

It was nice meeting you yesterday, have a great time and keep in touch!
Babysteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #28
warewolf
Tyre critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystiger
I fear once I get there it will be very hard to leave.......
Came for a 3 year sabbatical, still here 13 years later with no plans to move back home. I meet lots and lots of ex-pats, mainly from Pomgolia. The only ones who go back are in to nightclubs and shopping. Anyone with an outdoors interest loves the place.
Quote:
Old 01-18-2010, 02:11 AM   #29
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

More Christchurch

Oh Yeah!

Babysteps in front of the Twisted Hop - Thanks very much for the chat and the travel information

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 01-18-2010 at 02:20 AM
Old 01-18-2010, 02:46 AM   #30
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

On the road at last - Christchurch to Mt. Cook

Things got off to an interesting start this morning. While I was waiting for the bike rental people, I chatted with some members of the Afghanistan national cricket team, who were playing England in an international tournament today.

At the bike rental place, I busied myself wiring up a power socket for my GPS (which I'm told I won't need) and heated jacket (which I'm told I probably won't need.) Paperwork dispensed with I was ready for the road but the key wouldn't turn in the ignition. After fifteen minutes with one of the rental guys fighting with it, trying another key, spraying stuff into the lock, etc., one of the mechanics came out and showed us how it's done - A very common problem with Suzukis apparently. (I had another short struggle with it later in the day but I think I'm getting the hang of it now)

I was told there are no straight roads in New Zealand - Well that's Bollocks! However, as I headed inland toward Darfield, the straight roads were passing through a gorgeous bucolic landscape, with a backdrop of mountains. The twisty bits were very good, curving up and down the hillsides and crossing numerous small bridges, many of them too narrow for two-way traffic. Shame it was overcast the whole way. I met a chatty Yorkshireman when I stopped to take photos at Rakaia Gorge, where the river flows a bright turquoise blue due to glacial sediment and dissolved oxygen. I helped him lube his chain and he showed me the damage from one of his panniers falling off when he hit a road cone. He has an R65 and is looking for pannier frames to fit it so if anyone knows where he can get some, I have his email.

The sun finally broke through just as I reached the gorgeous Lake Tekapo, which is also an unreal azure.

A few miles further on at the town of Twizel, I turned inland towards Mount Cook. The road follows the shore of Lake Pukaki. As I made my way along, thoroughly enjoying the sweeping turns and rises and falls of the landscape, it began to rain. The Weestrom's screen does a surprisingly good job of keeping the worst off my torso but my legs and feet would have been soaked of it had kept up for long. Just as I was coming to dry roads again, Mount Sefton came into view and I had to stop and yelp into my helmet. The flashes of ice blue coming from the snowy slopes of the hanging Huddleston and Stocking glaciers as they caught the sun were magnificent.

After reaching the small village of Mount Cook at around 4:30pm and checking into the YHA there, I made an energetic three mile hike up to the foot of the Hooker Glacier. I'm going to feel it in the morning!