User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2010, 01:46 AM   #76
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,851
Franz Josef

Today was a very good day! It started out with an easy hike (or tramp as they say here) up to the Franz Josef glacier.

It's a lot bigger than it looks

Like a primordial forest, the ferns are trees
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:55 AM   #77
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Back at the Youth Hostel, I packed up to continue up the coast. Decided to give my visor a really good clean with soapy water and discovered the source of the trouble - a coating is flaking off the inside. The more I tried to clean it, the worse it became. I switched to the clear visor and will just have to wear sunglasses underneath.

Even the locals were excited by the great weather. I opened all the vents in my jacket and was very comfortable. There were no clouds and as the sun here is very intense, I got burned on my head in the few minutes I was loading the bike, without wearing my hat.

The road North of Franz Josef intersperses some really fabulous twisty bits through the rain forest, following lakes or going over or around the hills, with long straight sections crossing coastal plains that have been cleared for agriculture.

This is a monument to monuments (of the surveying kind)

After riding for a couple of hours, I stopped in Hokitika for fuel. Then I ducked into a grocery store where I had an ice cream, and some bottles of Monteith's Black Beer found their way into my tucker-sack. Not far from Hokitika I turned inland for Arthur's pass. This is a major road (by South Island standards) and is in good condition with wide, sweeping turns. Biker's heaven I'd say. For much of the way, the coast-to-coast railway line runs alongside.

Near the top of Arthur's Pass, the section known as Otira Pass is quite steep. I stopped here briefly to take some photos and had my first encounter with the bold, mischevious and destructive Kea (New Zealand Mountain Parrot.) In no time at all, I was pulling up at the Arthur's Pass YHA.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:11 AM   #78
cockneykestrel
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thumb Fecund flowers

Spiky pink roadside flowers are a Prunella vulgaris a plant found across the temperate world. As it's juice causes a quick co-agulation of the blood it is given such names as Self-heal and Carpenter's friend - here's hoping you do not need to use it.
cockneykestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:20 AM   #79
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Arthur's Pass

At the YHA, they informed me that it's not a good idea to park a bike outside as the Kea will damage it. I watched one earlier tearing up a small sapling. Their beaks seem to be like can openers. I was informed that someone left a Ducati parked outside at the YHA and returned to find the seat missing - completely torn off and shredded. At the suggestion of the chap at the hostel, I offloaded my stuff and parked the Weestrom in a garage about five minutes walk away.

As it was still reasonably early, I decided to take another walk. There are two quite impressive waterfalls within 45 minutes walk from the hostel so I grabbed my camera and a bottle of beer and set off for the closest one: The Devil's Punchbowl falls. A bit more strenuous than the morning's walk, as it includes a couple of hundred wooden steps (I wasn't counting but it was a LOT) up through the trees in a steep gorge to get a close-up view of this 131m high fall (that's around 430 feet for the metrically challenged.)

Old 01-23-2010, 03:26 AM   #80
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Saturday's route

I didn't really go that far today, although it was quite tiring for some reason - Maybe just the sun exposure this morning.

Arthur's Pass is known as a habitat for the endangered Great Spotted Kiwi. They are nocturnal and elusive but I hope I might hear them call during the night.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #81
Mileater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Thumb Great day out...

Slarti, I am thrilled that you got to see The Coast on a fine day as it is spectacular when the sun shines. Interesting that Milford had 26ºC the day after you visited

We, over on the "warmer and dryer" East Coast haven't seen any sun worth mentioning in days, so take your time (if you can) up in the highlands and enjoy!

Thanks for your reports and wonderful pictures.

Cheers
Allan
Old 01-24-2010, 03:16 AM   #82
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Heading East

I slept very soundly last night and never heard and Kiwi - Not that I would have recognized a kiwi's cry if I had heard it. Today was almost exclusively spent on the road and close to 600km of blissful riding passed behind me. When I got underway, the sky was grey but bright, the air was warm and the roads dry - Perfect biking conditions in other words. I continued over the pass, Eastwards towards Christchurch but took the Inland Scenic Route, avoiding going too near the city and much of Hwy 1. The road is absolutely fabulous. It has mostly fast sweeping bends until it reaches the coastal plain when there are a lot of long straight sections. The scenery was as great as ever, with the road working its way over and around numerous hills, which changed from the dark greens of the rain forest to an infinte variety of browns, tans and lighter greens.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:22 AM   #83
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Heading West again

As I got nearer to the coast, the wind began to feel colder and damper and the sky looked a little ominous, with rain pouring from a band of clouds ahead.

Being a Sunday, there was quite a lot of traffic and I saw more bikes on the road today than any other day. A couple of flocks of Ducks and a few Geese passed me at high speed, headed for the pass. At one point traffic got so bad I had to wait for nearly 30 seconds at an intersection. There also seemed to be a lot of old American cars and hot rods on the road - eventually I found out what was going on.

Somehow, my route avoided the rain and after a few unavoidable miles on Hwy 1, my route turned back West, re-crossing the Central Alps via Lewis Pass, which was even better than Arthur's Pass (from a biker's perspective.) As I got away from the East coast, the weather promptly warmed up again.

At Spring Junction, I stopped for a late lunch and chatted with a nice couple of Guzzi riders from Nelson, heading home from a weekend ride. He was on an 1100 California and she was on an 1100 Sport. From Spring Junction, I headed North along another great road with ever-changing vistas and fast roads through woods and valleys until it met the Buller Gorge, which I followed Westwards all the way to the Tasman Sea once again. The Buller Gorge generally has tighter corners, virtually no straights at all, and a couple of short single-lane cliff-hugging sections. It rained lightly for a while - enough to put my camera away but not enough to dampen the fun.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:26 AM   #84
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Back on the West Coast

Heading south at the coast, toward Punakaiki, I detoured to Cape Foulwind and the seal colony there (anyone who has ever visited a seal colony will understand the place name,) where I also saw some flightless Weka. Then I detoured back North to Westport for fuel.

On the way to Punakaiki, it rained again for a while but I didn't care. Fog was beginning to blow in from the cooler water but I didn't care. The road has some tight, twisty sections over headlands and along short sections of beach. It was here that I was passed by the first vehicle of the entire trip that I did not care to try and keep up with - a milk tanker!! It's no wonder the roads are so torn up - I was told the tankers are largely to blame - this vehicle was absolutely flying round tight, blind corners and there was no way I could safely stay ahead of his front bumper while still enjoying the view so I pulled over and he shot past in a cloud of diesel fumes.

The Punakaiki YHA is a unique place indeed. I am staying in a small house in a grove of tree ferns, with Weka wandering around.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:57 AM   #85
JustPlainDave
Tubeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Wow.

I've always wanted to go to (or live in) NZ. Now, thanks to Slarti, I want to go even more. There sure is a lot of beauty packed into that small island.
Keep the reports coming and I hope the remainder of your trip is just as fun and safe.
BTW...what are the accompdations like in the YSA's?

Current Bike: 2002 BMW R1150GS
Ghosts of motorcycles past: Super Tenere, KLR 650, DRZ-400, KTM 200EXC
JustPlainDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #86
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlainDave
I've always wanted to go to (or live in) NZ. Now, thanks to Slarti, I want to go even more. There sure is a lot of beauty packed into that small island.
Keep the reports coming and I hope the remainder of your trip is just as fun and safe.
BTW...what are the accompdations like in the YSA's?
Thanks! One of the biggest attractions here is the hugely varied scenery.

The YHA's have been great. They are all different but have high standards: Sheets are clean, all have good kitchens, showers, etc. and all have wi-fi and internet access terminals.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #87
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,372
Great report! A fine run up the West Coast is truly something to be savoured. We're heading down gain in a few weeks, reading this doesn't make the waiting easy. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #88
DewNmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
News from home!

The Saints actually won! Goin to the SB

Great pics/story.......BTW

MLK: The quality, not the longevity, of one's life is what is important.
DewNmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:06 AM   #89
slartidbartfast OP
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewNmoon
News from home!

The Saints actually won! Goin to the SB
I am reminded of that Boudreaux and Thibodeaux joke about Hell freezing over