ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
cybbe OP
n00b
 
cybbe's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Oddometer: 9
Wicked KTM 690 Enduro centerstand

Hi, does anyone know where i can buy or get a link to "how to build/mod a centerstand for ktm 690 enduro?
I have tried so hard to find any information but i failed.

Please help me
cybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
MAXVERT
Rough Rider
 
MAXVERT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Sun Valley Idaho, Baja Arizona
Oddometer: 1,003
You might want to ask on the Thumpers forum.
There is a 690 thread running there.

MAX
__________________
Da oggi la strada
senza limiti
MAXVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
cybbe OP
n00b
 
cybbe's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Oddometer: 9
ok thx, but i still need some help, ill hange here for a while - maby i get lucky...
( and MAX you did "bury" my question in the 690 thread by making a 1 page statement under it about something else lol...)

cybbe screwed with this post 01-15-2010 at 09:16 AM
cybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:50 AM   #4
cybbe OP
n00b
 
cybbe's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Oddometer: 9
Not 1 person in the world seams to know where to find a CENTERSTAND
for ktm 690

do you?
cybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybbe
Not 1 person in the world seams to know where to find a CENTERSTAND
for ktm 690

do you?
If you don't get an answer in the 690 thread then it is very likely that it doesn't exist. I certainly haven't seen one.

Doesn't surprise me to be honest, most people buy the 690 for it's offroad prowess. A center stand usually weighs a lot and reduces ground clearance.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
cybbe OP
n00b
 
cybbe's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Oddometer: 9
maby...

yes many you are right , but i really miss the ktm640 centerstand.
The weight thing i really don belive, just look at what stuff people put on their bikes, they looks more like an overloaded mule than a bike.
i can spare a few cm ground clearance and if get a great C-stand.
(690e is a joke for pure enduro if you look at the max steering radius)

sorry for my crappy english, its not my 1st language.

I didnt get any answer in the 690 thread, people are more interested in suspention mods and other stuff, thats just the way it is.

I have seen som cool centerstands to other bikes, one was built like an extended bashplate when it was in up position.

I really appreciate you took time to answer anyway.
cybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:31 AM   #7
Maurizio
2 smoker
 
Maurizio's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Turin, Italy
Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybbe
yes many you are right , but i really miss the ktm640 centerstand.
IMHO it is rather difficult to fit a centerstand on 690 due to the frame (or better, no-frame) structure in the pegs/rear brake pump area.

Just my two cents, and now I continue to discuss about suspension...
__________________
maurizio
'14 250 EXC E "Sparkling Orange"
'08 FLHCTUSE3 - '76 CB 750 F ss
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
cybbe OP
n00b
 
cybbe's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Oddometer: 9
Wink haha.

yes there is a some problems to get it to work with the "no frame", but i have allso seen many solve greater problems than that here

suspension is mounted from factory!
center stand is not.. ill solve it and come back ...
Maby there is no room for a centerstand with all your luggage mods hihi.

thanks anyway all of you...
cybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
DirtJack
Adventurer
 
DirtJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybbe
yes there is a some problems to get it to work with the "no frame", but i have allso seen many solve greater problems than that here

suspension is mounted from factory!
center stand is not.. ill solve it and come back ...
Maby there is no room for a centerstand with all your luggage mods hihi.

thanks anyway all of you...
If I were going to do it (probably wouldn't as I removed the center stand on my old LC4 so I could install a side-stand), I would start with a metal skid-plate (I use a Flatland on my 690) and weld up an "H" stand out of small size tubing. Then weld rod tabs to the top of each side of the H. The rods would fit inside two short pieces of tube (sized to make a simple plain bearing) which would be welded/bolted to the bottom rear part of the skid-plate. Use something simple (KTM rubber band) to hold the stand up. Should only decrease ground clearance by 3/4" as measured from under the foot-pegs.
__________________
Remember, you're reading this on the Internet and it was written by a guy who can remember stuff which never happened.
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2008 KTM 300 XC (plated)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader
 
RED CAT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canada
Oddometer: 2,801
Steering Radius 690!

Is adjustable.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:25 AM   #11
DirtJack
Adventurer
 
DirtJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT
Is adjustable.
Not much.
__________________
Remember, you're reading this on the Internet and it was written by a guy who can remember stuff which never happened.
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2008 KTM 300 XC (plated)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:58 AM   #12
cybbe OP
n00b
 
cybbe's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Oddometer: 9
Thumb great..

Sounds like a good idea! Is there any chance you could make a simple sketch /drawing of this idea? To help me understand (under stand ) better?, because my english isnt too good.

The bashplate i have seen, its 85$ i think... maby i can find it on ebay or so.

ps. do you still use inch or have you gone to metric/mm yet?

thx.

cybbe screwed with this post 01-19-2010 at 07:06 AM
cybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
DirtJack
Adventurer
 
DirtJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybbe
Sounds like a good idea! Is there any chance you could make a simple sketch /drawing of this idea? To help me understand (under stand ) better?, because my english isnt too good.

The bashplate i have seen, its 85$ i think... maby i can find it on ebay or so.

ps. do you still use inch or have you gone to metric/mm yet?

thx.
Cybbe, this is a really crappy picture but you might be able to use it to improve the design and make $$$ on.

Officially we are still on inch standard, but lots of manufacturers use metric, so we have both.

__________________
Remember, you're reading this on the Internet and it was written by a guy who can remember stuff which never happened.
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2008 KTM 300 XC (plated)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #14
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow
 
Cigar Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Centennial, Co
Oddometer: 1,456
Stops and Spring

The problem you will have doing it like this will be the stop in the down position. There will be a lot of force placed on the connection to the bash plate. If it is not sturdy enough it will deform or break loose the bolts. To prevent that you may need to place a steel backing plate on top of the bash plate to distribute the force over a greater area. Placing a stop that will not casue you to loose even more ground clearance is also an issue.

You will have to strap it up as suggested because the upper spring attachment needs to be a little higher then the pivot of the stand or there will not be enough tension to keep the stand up.

You need also to locate the balance point of the bike so that the front is not to light. This is very near the foot peg location and the center stand attachment will need to be rearward of that point.

Send me a picture of the bottom, from front and back and I will see if I can give you any ideas.

Cigar Mike
__________________
When in doubt, give it Gas!
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #15
DirtJack
Adventurer
 
DirtJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike
The problem you will have doing it like this will be the stop in the down position. There will be a lot of force placed on the connection to the bash plate. If it is not sturdy enough it will deform or break loose the bolts. To prevent that you may need to place a steel backing plate on top of the bash plate to distribute the force over a greater area. Placing a stop that will not casue you to loose even more ground clearance is also an issue.

You will have to strap it up as suggested because the upper spring attachment needs to be a little higher then the pivot of the stand or there will not be enough tension to keep the stand up.

You need also to locate the balance point of the bike so that the front is not to light. This is very near the foot peg location and the center stand attachment will need to be rearward of that point.

Send me a picture of the bottom, from front and back and I will see if I can give you any ideas.

Cigar Mike
Mike,

All excellent points. This isn't my project; just a (not much thought) suggestion. The 690 bikes have a trellis frame and plastic skid-plate. There are skid-plates which extend past the pegs so one of those would be required as you note (Flatland does not). The 690 e tends to be a bit rear heavy. I just weighed mine with full tank, tank bag, rear rack with bag of tubes, tools, rain-suit, etc. and it was 159.8 (front)+187.2 (rear) using a digital scale which is 3/4" high, so the measurement is pretty accurate. Other weights will vary depending on mods. Mine is minus a bunch and plus others and I run a Leo Vince SBK. I haven't measured where the foot pegs are along the 58" wheelbase. Again, I don't want a center stand, so I hereby tender my resignation as chief design engineer on this project. Time for a Cigar Mike.
__________________
Remember, you're reading this on the Internet and it was written by a guy who can remember stuff which never happened.
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2008 KTM 300 XC (plated)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014