Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #376
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike
Heading out in a few minutes, see you out there!
Yes!!

cant wait to get out there!!!
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #377
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,677
I had Tim practicing his starts in the driveway this afternoon. He couldn't decide if he should use the e-button, the kick start, the e-button in 2nd gear, or the kick start in 2nd gear. After a dozen tries, he decided that the e-button out of gear was prolly the safest (no hesitation) way to get a good start. I finally convinced him that the old "Slower is faster" attitude is the best. jajajajaja
Old 06-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #378
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
I had Tim practicing his starts in the driveway this afternoon. He couldn't decide if he should use the e-button, the kick start, the e-button in 2nd gear, or the kick start in 2nd gear. After a dozen tries, he decided that the e-button out of gear was prolly the safest (no hesitation) way to get a good start. I finally convinced him that the old "Slower is faster" attitude is the best. jajajajaja
I was considering my options for this..... I think im going to kick it, in first gear. I think I can do it pretty dammed fast because Im 6'3 - I can kick it as I sit down. Since i Have long legs, I should be able to do it in three motions.

we'll see how I do...

Quote:
Old 06-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #379
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
I was considering my options for this..... I think im going to kick it, in first gear. I think I can do it pretty dammed fast because Im 6'3 - I can kick it as I sit down. Since i Have long legs, I should be able to do it in three motions.

we'll see how I do...

If you are a Heavyweight Novice you guys should be on the same starting line at 1:30....right?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #380
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
Quote:
One school of thought is that both together are better than either one alone ... e-start + kick at the same time.

And if you really want to get pedantic, prestart the bike, shift into 2nd, clutch pulled, then kill the engine - never letting go of the clutch ... then e-start + kick at the same time, gives the best starting response.

The idea behind keeping the clutch pulled is that if you don't release the clutch, the plates will slide more easily on the next start, than if you released it, and then pulled again, thus the engine will turn a little more freely and thus fire up a little quicker.

I got this tip from a pro racer. It probably doesn't make much difference for us mere mortals, but at those guys' level, they look for every edge that might give them a few milliseconds of advantage.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #381
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes
One school of thought is that both together are better than either one alone ... e-start + kick at the same time.

And if you really want to get pedantic, prestart the bike, shift into 2nd, clutch pulled, then kill the engine - never letting go of the clutch ... then e-start + kick at the same time, gives the best starting response.

The idea behind keeping the clutch pulled is that if you don't release the clutch, the plates will slide more easily on the next start, than if you released it, and then pulled again, thus the engine will turn a little more freely and thus fire up a little quicker.

I got this tip from a pro racer. It probably doesn't make much difference for us mere mortals, but at those guys' level, they look for every edge that might give them a few milliseconds of advantage.
Oh absolutely! Second gear, clutch in, nice clean kill, never release the clutch, that's the norm. However, this is a straddle the front wheel start and its really hard to keep the clutch in and do a dance around the handle bars, jump opn the bike and hit the e-biutton & kick it all at the same time. If started in gear and the clutch has been let out, commonly there is enough drag that the motor may not catch as soon as it would without being in gear. Therefore, smoother is better, aka slower is faster!
Old 06-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #382
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
Oops, forgot about that front fender straddle start. Yes, I can see how that might make things difficult with the clutch. Still ... estart + kick might still be a hair quicker than either by itself, assuming your bike has both options available.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:42 AM   #383
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,217
we have to run 10 feet at the start of our FTR races..less of a mess in that first turn.
I prefer 2nd gear kicking...then again I don't have the magic button..

Tbone screwed with this post 06-12-2010 at 05:48 AM
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #384
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

It was an interesting weekend.... Ill post up pics and everything soon.

Nutshell of the weekend is I lined up on the wrong line, or they told me to line up on the wrong line. They let me race but tore off my numbers.

Ehhh, whatever - It was fun to get out there and get beat up a bit.

It was REALLY nice Keith and fam out there and to watch his kids in the kids race!

Quote:
Old 06-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #385
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone
we have to run 10 feet at the start of our FTR races..less of a mess in that first turn.
I prefer 2nd gear kicking...then again I don't have the magic button..
no magic button....
Quote:
Old 06-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #386
Strong Bad
n00balicious

We were only out for the day yesterday and missed you somehow. apparently the "wrong" race you were in was the same race as my son Tim. I think I've got a minuet or two on his helmet cam coming in to the start finish on the first lap. I'm still trying to figure out how to up load to Youtube to share. I believe we had a Coyote who won the Ltwt II class in that race, Tim had a poor start and chilled in the dust on the first lap and then worked his way up to around a 6th or 7th in the 250 class.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #387
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
We were only out for the day yesterday and missed you somehow. apparently the "wrong" race you were in was the same race as my son Tim. I think I've got a minuet or two on his helmet cam coming in to the start finish on the first lap. I'm still trying to figure out how to up load to Youtube to share. I believe we had a Coyote who won the Ltwt II class in that race, Tim had a poor start and chilled in the dust on the first lap and then worked his way up to around a 6th or 7th in the 250 class.
How did I miss you?? We got there at 11ish. I might have seen you at the starting line - did you see me walking around in the armor? Im the only guy that wears the SIXSIXONE armor out there.

Yeah I lined up at 1.30 on loop B.... I have NO IDEA how those guys go so fast in the dust. You cant see ANYTHING - gas and a prayer I guess.

Quote:
Old 06-13-2010, 09:13 PM   #388
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

OK..... another weird weekend again. Im not going to do a video this time - just going to post up the pics!

the wife and I left Los Angeles on Saturday morning and saw this when we got out to the 15.

Could hardly believe it with my own eyes

out to the dez, offload the bike

I went over to Scott's house to replace the rear sprocket (I wanted to gear it down) and when we took off the existing rear it was shocking. There were almost three teeth missing. It wad bad.

Scott was a pretty serious road racer so he read me the riot act about maintaining a racebike and safety and it was totally warranted. I have no real excuse other than I have no place to work on the bike - but it still needs to be maintained MUCH Better than I have been. so the bike got a fresh DID chain, and a nice 45T rear sprocket (up three teeth and thank god for this course...)

During my hiatus this year (which starts in a few weeks) im going to tear the bike down and replace the cables, flush all the fluids etc etc and make sure the bike is GOOD from now on.

Im still very much a noob....

but im learning!

ok back to it

the dez was GORGEOUS....

you can probably see Mike in there near the front - that guy kicks ASS

my screwed up numbers

warming up

the R stands for ROCKET

taping my hands

this is where things started to go bad. I has checked the sheets for when my race was supposed to be and I thought that I was supposed to start at 1.30 from the B loop. So I went and signed up and asked them if thats where I was supposed to be and they said yes.
So I went over to the start line and the lady who was checking the numbers told me I was in the wrong race - my actual race was at 10.30.

what?

but I asked -

but they said -

I was upset! I just had driven three hours to give it a go! I just wanted to race - I didnt care how or why.

another guy came by and said to rip off the V and race as 246. Then another guy came by (which was now a group of about 5 RUTS people) and told me to just rip off all the numbers because there might be another 246. I wouldn't get points for the race (they thought I was racing for points!! )

So while all this is going down, Im not practicing the fender humping start and not only that once everyone had talked it out, the guy goes by with the two minute warning.

Superduper.

Did I mention I was essentially off the course from my starting position....?

ug, I was late all over the place.

I leaned up against the fender and waited for the start.

....and looking at the sky

BANNER!

Had I remembered it was already in first, I might have actually gotten a GREAT start. I forgot to put up the kickstand too.

So I put the bike in first pre start, and went with the "mount the bike/kick" philosophy with the clutch in...... It was actually a decent start

but as you can tell in the video - im so far off to the end that im actually 45 degrees counter-clockwise from the tracks to the bomb.

I was in the dust so fast and totally blind, it didnt matter.
Quote:
Old 06-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #389
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

It was so dusty, I never ever saw the bomb! I didnt see it until my second loop!

quyen went over to the rock pile (not the climb though) to get ready for me to come by

here are so other doods

it was an epic day out there and about 83 - 85 degrees

Here comes the no number guy!!

EVER check I went through they were yelling at me about the numbers.... nothing I could do and I was racing - thats all I cared about.

Quote:
Old 06-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #390
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

my wife stood out on the rocks for almost two hours to get these few shots. She is an amazing woman.

in classic noob form, I stalled in the VERY deep silty 90 degree turns in the finish shoot just feet from the finish. It didnt matter, I dont think there were many riders behind me.

it was a fun race but tough (for me) ! I would say that it was harder than the Checkers race as far as technical bits. The USDR stuff has spoiled me MASSIVELY - I thought was starting to get the hang of this desert racing stuff a bit. Well, we all know what happens when you think you're cool for a minute.

I didnt crash, I didnt pass anyone (that was vertical) but I finished. The RUTS people were pretty cool about letting me in and they even told me who finished in front of me so I can get an idea for placement.

I was way more tired than I thought I was going to be and way more beat down that I thought I was going to be. My fitness has taken a backwards step from the last race.

Last weekend I went out to Cal City and did some training and I thought I was good. Wrong - WAYYYY Wrong.

after I got back to camp and changed, Quyen and I wandered over to see the kids races.

The rock formations there are stunning.

this looks like a bear to me

I forgot to get Keith's kids numbers so I could shoot them but we sat up on the rocks and watched the races which were great.

Quote: