ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
ginslung OP
It'll take.
 
ginslung's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 231
2nd gen Tacoma ignition cylinder lock replacement?

Anyone out there pulled one? Bought a used truck with OEM keys in rough shape and it's getting tough to start.

I must be getting dumb/old or losing my google skills. Thanks.
ginslung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:45 AM   #2
Fixnfly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Fixnfly's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: SWPA
Oddometer: 390
Maybe you just need new keys?
Since the keys are chipped and expensive to replace, try to get a cheap non chipped key made and then place the original chipped keys near the ignition to bypass the security. If the non chipped key works fine, have new chipped keys made and your done.
__________________
01 DRZ400S 93 GSXR750 13 Z1000
Fixnfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:32 AM   #3
Bump Stop
2 Wheeled Drifter
 
Bump Stop's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: finding Jesus
Oddometer: 6,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixnfly View Post
Maybe you just need new keys?
Since the keys are chipped and expensive to replace, try to get a cheap non chipped key made and then place the original chipped keys near the ignition to bypass the security. If the non chipped key works fine, have new chipped keys made and your done.

or you take the induction ring and ziptie the old chipped key into it and hide it in the dash and never use a chipped key again!
__________________
10 GASGAS EC300, 06 Husqvarna WR 250, 05 KTM 250EXC, 04 GASGAS EC 200, 00 KDX 220, 74 250 Mach 1
www.fuzionllc.com
Bump Stop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:10 AM   #4
Fixnfly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Fixnfly's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: SWPA
Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Stop View Post
or you take the induction ring and ziptie the old chipped key into it and hide it in the dash and never use a chipped key again!
That's another possibility.
__________________
01 DRZ400S 93 GSXR750 13 Z1000
Fixnfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:40 AM   #5
ginslung OP
It'll take.
 
ginslung's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 231
I thought the same thing about putting the chipped key near the ignition. Good suggestion. Damn keys are expensive.

The issue I'm having is that I've got 2 original keys;
Key A: used almost exclusively and it's pretty worn but works great.
Key B: New condition, but sometimes just won't turn in the ignition cylinder (and the doors for that matter).

I've had keys made from both A and B and all have been unsuccessful. I suppose I could try getting them cut by VIN but that's going to be the same as the existing new key I would think?

I'll shoot some graphite in there and see if it helps.

I pulled the ignition core from my old Tundra and it was a 4 second job, I was hoping this would be the same if it comes to that.
ginslung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:52 AM   #6
Bump Stop
2 Wheeled Drifter
 
Bump Stop's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: finding Jesus
Oddometer: 6,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginslung View Post
I thought the same thing about putting the chipped key near the ignition. Good suggestion. Damn keys are expensive.

The issue I'm having is that I've got 2 original keys;
Key A: used almost exclusively and it's pretty worn but works great.
Key B: New condition, but sometimes just won't turn in the ignition cylinder (and the doors for that matter).

I've had keys made from both A and B and all have been unsuccessful. I suppose I could try getting them cut by VIN but that's going to be the same as the existing new key I would think?

I'll shoot some graphite in there and see if it helps.

I pulled the ignition core from my old Tundra and it was a 4 second job, I was hoping this would be the same if it comes to that.
Is the new key a factory key or a bad recut? If it doesn't work well in the passenger side door I would doubt it's original.
__________________
10 GASGAS EC300, 06 Husqvarna WR 250, 05 KTM 250EXC, 04 GASGAS EC 200, 00 KDX 220, 74 250 Mach 1
www.fuzionllc.com
Bump Stop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:56 AM   #7
ginslung OP
It'll take.
 
ginslung's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Stop View Post
Is the new key a factory key or a bad recut? If it doesn't work well in the passenger side door I would doubt it's original.
Can't say for sure, but it appears to be a factory key and was attached to an OEM keyfob in the same conditon.
ginslung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #8
Fixnfly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Fixnfly's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: SWPA
Oddometer: 390
I have a chilton's manual for the 05-09 tacomas and in chapter 12 there is a good write up about changing the ignition cylinder. There's too much in there for me to post along with pictures so I would recommend getting a copy. I'm no big fan of the newer chilton manuals but sometimes you find something usefull.
__________________
01 DRZ400S 93 GSXR750 13 Z1000
Fixnfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #9
ginslung OP
It'll take.
 
ginslung's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixnfly View Post
I have a chilton's manual for the 05-09 tacomas and in chapter 12 there is a good write up about changing the ignition cylinder. There's too much in there for me to post along with pictures so I would recommend getting a copy. I'm no big fan of the newer chilton manuals but sometimes you find something usefull.
Thank you - will do!
ginslung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #10
Wasser
Spilt my beer
 
Wasser's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 5,048
Hey ginslung,

Are the keys you have the original Toyota set (black head with Toyota logo)?

PM me and I can give you contact info here in the Denver area for Toyota dealer that will treat you really good for replacement key(s). Also have another place (independent locksmith) that knows what the hell they are doing for replacement keys. They are VSP, SDRM certified and can make exact duplicates of factory keys.

Your Gen2 Taco will have the Toyo immobilizer system with a chip in the key.

Doubt your ign cylinder is messed up. Really sounds a key cut problem.
Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #11
ginslung OP
It'll take.
 
ginslung's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasser View Post
Hey ginslung,

Are the keys you have the original Toyota set (black head with Toyota logo)?

PM me and I can give you contact info here in the Denver area for Toyota dealer that will treat you really good for replacement key(s). Also have another place (independent locksmith) that knows what the hell they are doing for replacement keys. They are VSP, SDRM certified and can make exact duplicates of factory keys.

Your Gen2 Taco will have the Toyo immobilizer system with a chip in the key.

Doubt your ign cylinder is messed up. Really sounds a key cut problem.
Done, thanks!
ginslung is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015