Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #211
690RR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
They are, the only difference in tower is lower upper part that carry road book, about 2 cm. Rest is the same. This is Marc's prototype from Tunisia test last year, with the very same fairing and fuel tanks I have on my bike right now.

690RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:47 AM   #212
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by 690RR View Post
They are, the only difference in tower is lower upper part that carry road book, about 2 cm. Rest is the same. This is Marc's prototype from Tunisia test last year, with the very same fairing and fuel tanks I have on my bike right now.

Lol, it is not a problem to use the 450 side panels, also with a lowered nav tower. Tank and frame position from the 450 RR is the same like the 690 RR. Also to lower the nav tower it is easy, you can use the front holes from the reinforcement bar above the lights.
But you must cut about 3 cm from the two nav tower plates on the left and on the right sight, so that the Roadbook has enough place to move. An drill two new holes for the roadbook plate in the nav tower side panels.
The only problem is the plate for the gps antennas. You can bend the plate or you took the plate away and put the nav antennas in another place ( like on the new 450 RR's, they are mounted at the gps holder on the handlebar.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #213
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Do the 690 rallys have the same valve clearance specifications as the 690r? I want to check them while im doing some other work on the bike.The bikes got 16000kms on it (non raced) and im currently replacing the swing arm/linkage bearings/chain guide etc and repacking the steering head/wheel bearings........any heads up on what else should be checked?,all the fuel lines/radiator hoses/oil cooler lines/intake boot look in good condition.

johnno950 screwed with this post 08-30-2011 at 10:27 AM
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #214
690RR
Gnarly Adventurer

Do the valve clearance 0,05 tighter than 690 R, if you use standard 690 clearance, it will "tick".

Otherwise there is not much else to do, just overall check should do fine. Do not forget fuel filter.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #215
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Do the valve clearance 0,05 tighter than 690 R, if you use standard 690 clearance, it will "tick".

Otherwise there is not much else to do, just overall check should do fine. Do not forget fuel filter.
Thanks for the information,yes the fuel filter has been done!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #216
690RR
Gnarly Adventurer

I will always scratch me head, when I think how careful are we 690 RR owners sometimes. My friend Stefan Svitko did his first Dakar 2010 in 13th position, with completely stock 690 RR, with one engine, oil changes every third day, on original chain and all he broke was one ICO cable.

Than the very same bike was given Radek Matoska, he drove it through 2011 Dakar, with same engine (guys didn't even bothered to rebuild it after 2010) and same chain from 2010..

20.000 km of race on that bike, no valve check, just air filter, oil from time to time, and occasional fuel filter change.

I would never ever try to repeat that handling on my beloved bike, but I just must admit that these things are build to survive.

By the way, I checked dealer.net today, seems like prices on front fuel tanks dropped as well.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #217
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Well, we expect these bikes to be more tuned, more maintenance-demanding and with shorter service intervals. It's a rally bike, fer crying out loud According to the 2008 Owners Manual I'm supposed to change oil each 1500km, intermediate service at 4500km and engine control, disassembly, spec measurements & major overhaul at 10500km.

At my moderate paces and leisurely riding style I expect this beast to last forever
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 08-31-2011 at 01:00 PM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:59 AM   #218
Gerduro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hi All,

does anyone know why my factory 690 RR does not have a rear break light switch ?? Is it not a FIM requirement ?? Or it's just the factory guys getting away with it ? Does anyone have a picture where it goes (on the brake caliper as I guess from the parts catalog) and where the cable connects to which plug ??

Thanks and Best regards...
Gerduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:06 AM   #219
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
oil question again- clutch chattering

Hy folks,

going back some sites found no answers about the oil thread, are there some news about the clutch chattering/squarking problem. I have now 17000km on the bike, and changed every 1500 km the oil, using Motorex Racing KTM 20W - 60

Still clutch chattering and squarking, only driving on the street, not in offroad sections !
Somebody used the Shell 20 W - 60 ???
Old 08-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #220
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?

Thumb

Quote:
By the way, I checked dealer.net today, seems like prices on front fuel tanks dropped as well.
Now THAT is good news!
Should keep us 690RR dudes happy for a while into the future.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
Old 08-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #221
690RR
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerduro View Post
Hi All,

does anyone know why my factory 690 RR does not have a rear break light switch ?? Is it not a FIM requirement ?? Or it's just the factory guys getting away with it ? Does anyone have a picture where it goes (on the brake caliper as I guess from the parts catalog) and where the cable connects to which plug ??

There was experienced some leakage from rear brake switch, so a lot of people out there ride without, including KTM Rally Team. I got mine without as well, and we removed them from our 450 RR bikes.

All you need to do, is order 58511051100, change it for rear banjo bolt on brake caliper. Wire goes all the way along brake hose and you should find suitable available plug somewhere about 10cm over rear brake pump. My bike is same breed as yours, missing all signal light wiring, different frame, but I am sure rear brake connector will be there.

About FIM requirement, hmmmm.. At scrutiniering when French folks touch your rear brake to control if it will light, you secretly pump front brake.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:07 PM   #222
690RR
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italrally View Post
Hy folks,

going back some sites found no answers about the oil thread, are there some news about the clutch chattering/squarking problem. I have now 17000km on the bike, and changed every 1500 km the oil, using Motorex Racing KTM 20W - 60

Still clutch chattering and squarking, only driving on the street, not in offroad sections !
Somebody used the Shell 20 W - 60 ???
I did talked to engine guy in KTM Rally about problem, and his solution was typical Rally Team: change whole clutch.
They never gave the problem more attention, when it appeared, they changed plates, inner hub and / or basket. I changed my plates and it gave no result, I am not changing basket or hub after I checked price tag on those parts.

I do though learned how to move the bike, one just need to hold it a few seconds slightly slipping so oil will be distributed between plates, and then it is possible to engage with full power. I know it is just avoiding problem, something I hate to do, but with this bloody rain season in Norway it is just no time to test more.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:13 PM   #223
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?

Quote:

I do though learned how to move the bike, one just need to hold it a few seconds slightly slipping so oil will be distributed between plates, and then it is possible to engage with full power. I know it is just avoiding problem, something I hate to do, but with this bloody rain season in Norway it is just no time to test more.
I use same method, but I rarely need to slip that clutch aggressively since I don't ride competition style. When I bought this beast I was a dedicated 85/15 tarmac & gravel touring dude with aboslutely no background from enduro or mx riding.

To avoid the physically closed private gravel roads near the Oslo area and get that beast flying for hours on gravel I have to ride at least 1-2 hours away and seek less populated mountain areas. One of my favourites is Jotunheimen or Golsfjellet south of Hemsedal. There you can ride for days on excellent gravel and surprisingly good two-lane dirt roads.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
Old 08-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #224
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerduro View Post
Hi All,

Hi gerduro,i will get some photos of the switch/wiring for brakelight switch from my bike,its a bike that has adr and has rego in australia.

johnno950 screwed with this post 08-31-2011 at 05:51 PM
Old 09-01-2011, 05:16 AM   #225
Gerduro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
There was experienced some leakage from rear brake switch, so a lot of people out there ride without, including KTM Rally Team. I got mine without as well, and we removed them from our 450 RR bikes.

All you need to do, is order 58511051100, change it for rear banjo bolt on brake caliper. Wire goes all the way along brake hose and you should find suitable available plug somewhere about 10cm over rear brake pump. My bike is same breed as yours, missing all signal light wiring, different frame, but I am sure rear brake connector will be there.

About FIM requirement, hmmmm.. At scrutiniering when French folks touch your rear brake to control if it will light, you secretly pump front brake.
... Thanks for the insight !
Gerduro is offline   Reply With Quote