ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #241
690RR
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Norway or some exotic country with a lot of sand
Oddometer: 96
I really do not know bore and stroke, as I begun with Rally when 690 was out and 450 came in last summer. But I will talk to folks at Rally Department after Maroc, as I want 730 engine for me as well.I do know everything about 450 RR, but still learning secrets of 690 RR. I know that there is only one 730 piston left at their warehouse and it would be nice to have it in my bike as another probably will not be made.

I also know that there is custom made crank and even stronger cams than 690 RR. It is kind of funny to slowly see what factory team is really capable of.

So I'll ask, my customer will want to know some data as well and I will post. Together with jetting and needle.

As for bobzilla, do you have series 690 Enduro and want carburetor inside? There is actually nothing easier, the only problem is, that non of your dash board will work. You can change for RR wiring, bump in 41mm Keihin, change CDI and coil and there you go.. Electronics on RR is extremly simple, but does not cooperate with speedometer, and does only have Neutral, High beam, Water temperature warning light and Oil pressure warning light.

It might be easiest just to punch in reworked map, let me know what kind of bike you have and I can send you some maps you can try. Basically all you need on injection is disable Lambda and give it around +5% more fuel in middle range. Than it goes as well as carburetor 690 RR bike.

As for 730 engine, I do believe this one will be one of very last to be build. KTM do not produce any more parts, and as far as I know, no other make anything like this. KTM Rally build this ones only to piss off A.S.O. last year with their stupid rule to run with restrictor. 730 with restrictor ran the same power as 690cc without.
690RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #242
Gerduro
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 23
.... have you had a look at:

http://www.frauenschuh-tuning.at/ind...id=ktm_lc4_690

.... they also offer stronger cranks, larger displacement etc. interesting also the list of their customers they claim to have served ...

LC4 690 (653ccm /690-710-730-750-770-790ccm) ab Baujahr 2008






Quote:
Originally Posted by 690RR View Post
I really do not know bore and stroke, as I begun with Rally when 690 was out and 450 came in last summer. But I will talk to folks at Rally Department after Maroc, as I want 730 engine for me as well.I do know everything about 450 RR, but still learning secrets of 690 RR. I know that there is only one 730 piston left at their warehouse and it would be nice to have it in my bike as another probably will not be made.

I also know that there is custom made crank and even stronger cams than 690 RR. It is kind of funny to slowly see what factory team is really capable of.

So I'll ask, my customer will want to know some data as well and I will post. Together with jetting and needle.

As for bobzilla, do you have series 690 Enduro and want carburetor inside? There is actually nothing easier, the only problem is, that non of your dash board will work. You can change for RR wiring, bump in 41mm Keihin, change CDI and coil and there you go.. Electronics on RR is extremly simple, but does not cooperate with speedometer, and does only have Neutral, High beam, Water temperature warning light and Oil pressure warning light.

It might be easiest just to punch in reworked map, let me know what kind of bike you have and I can send you some maps you can try. Basically all you need on injection is disable Lambda and give it around +5% more fuel in middle range. Than it goes as well as carburetor 690 RR bike.

As for 730 engine, I do believe this one will be one of very last to be build. KTM do not produce any more parts, and as far as I know, no other make anything like this. KTM Rally build this ones only to piss off A.S.O. last year with their stupid rule to run with restrictor. 730 with restrictor ran the same power as 690cc without.
Gerduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #243
690RR
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Norway or some exotic country with a lot of sand
Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerduro View Post
.... have you had a look at:

http://www.frauenschuh-tuning.at/ind...id=ktm_lc4_690

.... they also offer stronger cranks, larger displacement etc. interesting also the list of their customers they claim to have served ...

LC4 690 (653ccm /690-710-730-750-770-790ccm) ab Baujahr 2008
I know mate, you are right.

But my defending would be too long to write, lets say that after many years in business I just do not trust anybody so easily. KTM does awfully lot of testing, testing, and testing again.

There is a milion tuners out there who can do 450 engine, but there is only 2 people from Rally who also know how to do it, so it will hold. So if I cannot get hold of 730 parts or engine from KTM, I will not buy it anywhere else.

But that is only my opinion, and to start to discuss would be hopeless.

By the way, these engines officially did not existed, as agreed was to drive 700cc max. So it would be fun to know why they used money for research or who used this engines.
690RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #244
Gerduro
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 23
.... I agree .... its relatively easy to increase power & torque but very difficult to make it last for a race like the Dakar, in road racing the durability requirements are very small in comparison ..... a few rounds on a circuit .... still interesting that they can get up to 130 hp out of such a small engine ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690RR View Post
I know mate, you are right.

But my defending would be too long to write, lets say that after many years in business I just do not trust anybody so easily. KTM does awfully lot of testing, testing, and testing again.

There is a milion tuners out there who can do 450 engine, but there is only 2 people from Rally who also know how to do it, so it will hold. So if I cannot get hold of 730 parts or engine from KTM, I will not buy it anywhere else.

But that is only my opinion, and to start to discuss would be hopeless.

By the way, these engines officially did not existed, as agreed was to drive 700cc max. So it would be fun to know why they used money for research or who used this engines.
Gerduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #245
690RR
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Norway or some exotic country with a lot of sand
Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilbara View Post
690RR said:


Hello 690RR, are you able to share with us the bore and stroke of the 738cc engine?

Cheers
Pilbara
Talked to guy who builded motor, bore 105, stroke 84

I have to also take back 738cc, as it would make 727,34cc
690RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #246
HP2
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Oddometer: 249
hello,
Seeking a sticker. I could buy one at ktm,
But $ 262 = No way!!!!!!

Does anyone have any idea?
Attached Images
 
HP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #247
johnno950
Studly Adventurer
 
johnno950's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: central qld australia
Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP2 View Post
hello,
Seeking a sticker. I could buy one at ktm,
But $ 262 = No way!!!!!!

Does anyone have any idea?
Can a signwriter scan and duplicate the tank/fairing decals?
johnno950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #248
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?
 
F650Dakar_Norway's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Norway, Scandinavia
Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP2 View Post
hello,
Seeking a sticker. I could buy one at ktm,
But $ 262 = No way!!!!!!

Does anyone have any idea?
That's not really such an extraordinary price for a set of factory stickers, considering the limited numbers of around 200 690RR's made in total. But I agree that it's a steep price for a set of relatively simplistic plastic stickers. Quite frankly any graphichs sticker company can produce that design without much effort or resources. I only wish KTM had produced these stickers with a perforated plastic rather than the solid plastic sheets peeling off too fast.

Trouble with these stickers is the constant fuel vapour leakage through the plastic tanks. I've already given up the left-side stickers and the right-side ditto are already showing signs of unsticking for the same reason.

I'm now looking for a better, perforated sticker solution - since the perforated stickers allow fuel fumes through and allows the stickers a longer life. Scroll back a few pages and read the post by fellow inmate Italrally about the different qualities sticker prints.

I'll check with the graphics company delivering stickers for Pal Anders Ullevalseter. But since the competition bikes are aimed at other users than us private, long-term users I expect these stickers to be designed for the race-teams. Meaning they are expected to last for a fortnight through the Dakar, then at leasure simply peeled off and replaced at irregular intervals by the team mechanics to keep the sponsors happy

I'll also look into other solutions simply involving adhesive carbon-fibre sheets or functionally working, robust coloured plastic sheets. I'll be parking my bikes for the winter in a few weeks, so there'a ample time for such projects.
__________________
Norway
Current stable:
2010 BMW F800GS
2008 KTM 690 RR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #249
HP2
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Oddometer: 249
Norway,

You're right. The set for $ 260 is expensive - but ok.
But for $ 260 you just get the right tank sticker.
And that is out of proportion.
Incidentally, I've asked 3 times.


Thanks 950
HP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #250
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?
 
F650Dakar_Norway's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Norway, Scandinavia
Oddometer: 948
Try this source:
http://www.ktm-versand.de/product_in...-----2007.html

Edit: PAU uses this design bureau for his KTM 450RR stickers: http://www.hgstickers.se/en/index.asp
__________________
Norway
Current stable:
2010 BMW F800GS
2008 KTM 690 RR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 10-15-2011 at 05:02 PM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #251
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?
 
F650Dakar_Norway's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Norway, Scandinavia
Oddometer: 948
This goes to show what a precision instrument this bike must be.
From our last Jotunheimen trip a month ago. The spare tube was chucked in, the foot pump put into service:



The later day trips were done with the pump firmly attached to the Mojavi saddlebag.


There was an orange contingent roaming the Jotunheimen those days in September 2011.


Orange scenery.
__________________
Norway
Current stable:
2010 BMW F800GS
2008 KTM 690 RR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 10-16-2011 at 05:12 PM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #252
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 5,325
For you guys who are using the 690 RR as a dual sport, what kind of fuel mileage are you getting with mixed riding (not deep sand or other full throttle applications )?
__________________
Proud member of the HUSABERG ADVENTURE TEAM!
12 690 Enduro-R, 12 Husaberg FE570, 09 KTM XC-F/ 450 RFS hybrid, 07 KTM 450 SMR, 09 BMW F650GS twin/F800GS hybrid, 03+05 YZF-R6
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #253
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?
 
F650Dakar_Norway's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Norway, Scandinavia
Oddometer: 948
Thumb

0,5 litre per 10km. And mine is the meagre 654cc and all. Puts a grin on my face any day this beast
__________________
Norway
Current stable:
2010 BMW F800GS
2008 KTM 690 RR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:17 AM   #254
Gerduro
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummo View Post
more tank

Does anyone know where I can get these tank protectors on page 5 of the thread ??? Tried to contact Cummo who posted the photo but he sees to be offline for a while ...
Gerduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:27 AM   #255
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?
 
F650Dakar_Norway's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Norway, Scandinavia
Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummo View Post
The tank guards were made by Nomad Racing in France.
Edit: Craig Bounds' tank protectors:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaney View Post
those rear supports were made by Derreck Edmondson at Edmondson racing in the uk, They also had some carbon fibre guards made for the bottom edges of the fuel tanks
http://www.edmondson-racing.co.uk/
__________________
Norway
Current stable:
2010 BMW F800GS
2008 KTM 690 RR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 10-19-2011 at 09:16 AM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014