Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #46
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely get a Giantloop Coyote too. Seems to be the way to go for adventure riding a rally beast.

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collect...yote-saddlebag

Edit: Euro dealer Adventure-Spec is out of stock. Guess an order from US is required.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 08-19-2010 at 12:16 PM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #47
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,778
Was minding my own business today, doing ranch/yard work when Steve rolled up on the white witch.

Of course, I dropped the tool I was holding and jumped into my boots for a spin.

Perfect afternoon.

He wanted me to show you the MoJavi that he's packing with tools and such for day rides.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere

wachs screwed with this post 08-21-2010 at 10:18 PM
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #48
Inked
Tattooed Biker

Oddometer: 175
Nice looking bike.

BMW R1200 GS Adventure
Inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #49
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,778
one more - nice and cool this evening - been hot

Still a bunch of snow on Mt Bachelor for this time of year.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:37 AM   #50
bend27
by hook or by crook

Oddometer: 1,165
Looks cool in WHITE
bend27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #51
niggles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
niggles

The Mojavi day pack works great for me it , I use it on three bikes 690RR, 690R and a 300XCW. with tools water bottle, folding saw ,snacks and small fuel bottle for the 300.I have yet to have this pack move give up its contents on very nasty trails. Don,t be fooled by the photos of gravel road we ride the good stuff,Dave is a true adv. rider,someone who seeks adventures ask the people who ride with him,
niggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #52
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?

Thanks, folks. That Mojave saddlepack looks perfect for day-trips. I'll step up and order one soon. Excellent adv-rider concept that suits my needs perfectly! Easily extends the versatility of this motorcycle since a luggage rack is totally out of the question.

Question for Steve:
I got a pair of db-killers from Pal Anders Ullevalseter when he kindly gave me some tips on roadbook nav and ICO-usage.
They're still too loud for my prefs and look exactly like these on Ludo's ad:

Q: My question is what muffler inserts you got and if you had to rejet the carb and/or retune it using a dyno etc.?
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
Old 08-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #53
niggles
Adventurer

niggles

I made these, they have cone spark arresters on the inside very simple to make start with a small exit pipe 90 degree turn down would make less noise, then drill small holes to get the right balance of noise and flow.I did not re jet ,but I like to run my bikes a bit rich,the rear of the 690RR is a little weak my came with a metal support you can see it in photos.I also went two larger on my rear sprocket as my bike had 100mph+ the lower gearing made it much easier to ride tricky sections of trail.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:09 AM   #54
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?

Thanks, Steve. I may modify the enclosed EU-homologation muffler ends to allow better airflow or even put in a pair of Acrapovic or Leo Vince db-killers. Either way I want a more ear-friendly exhaust note since I attract too much attention now. I've even had stupid cage-drivers trying to "compete" with me in traffic after I've passed them. And LEO's doing traffic controls gave me an ominous stare a few days ago. Luckily they were already occupied with a bunch of cars and had their hands full already.

I also noticed the extra metal tail support braces on your bike and will make some for mine. That CF toolbox/tail structure needs some extra support when my Coyote saddlebag arrives next week from the US.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 09-01-2010 at 04:59 AM
Old 08-23-2010, 06:35 AM   #55
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway
Thanks, Steve. I may modify the enclosed EU-homologation muffler ends to allow better airflow or even put in a pair of Acrapovic or Leo Vince db-killers. Either way I want a more ear-friendly exhaust note since I attract too much attention now. I've even had stupid cage-drivers trying to "compete" with me in traffic after I've passed them. And LEO's doing traffic controls gave me an ominous stare a few days ago. Luckily they were already occupied with a bunch of cars and had their hands full already.

I also noticed the extra metal tail support braces on your bike and will make some for mine. That CF toolbox/tail structure needs some extra support when my Coyote saddlebag arrives next week from UK.
I bought some DB killers from Akrapovic, but you have to make a special small alloy adater too, because they don't fit perfect.( different diameter ) It is not necessary to rejet the carburator but you will loose a little bit of torque and hp. My needle is on position 4 ! The tail of my bike broke because i put all my tools in it, but this is too havy for the carbon and alloy tail !!! Attention !!! When you want to put luggage on it you have to reinforce the tail for shure. Do you have the spare boxes in your bush plate ? You need them, you can put all the tools and little parts in it. I have a front spare tube in a
small bag over the lights behind the roadbook. And a lot of spare parts all around the bike, like the pro bikes from Despres and Coma. I baught also a better frontbrake disk from motomaster, it is a floater disk !!!
For a second ICO i made a special adapter / switch so i can use two icos and the original KTM odometer. But this is only necessary when you are roadbook riding. Good tires are the new pirelli scorpion rally tires, the rear tire is very big. Also i have a nice alloy switch for one ico and the roadbook. Now i did 12000km with the bike and it is still the best Offroad Allround bike i ever owned !!!
italrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #56
niggles
Adventurer

niggles

you can get a floating disk off the 690R from KTM also
Old 08-25-2010, 12:08 AM   #57
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles
you can get a floating disk off the 690R from KTM also
Yes, but different design and different price
Old 08-30-2010, 06:11 AM   #58
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by italrally
Good tires are the new pirelli scorpion rally tires, the rear tire is very big.
Thanks for the tyre tip.
Pirelli Scorpion Rally tires are sized 90/90 - 21 M/C 54R, 120/100 - 18 M/C 68R
and 140/80 - 18 M/C 70R. On mine the original 130/80 Michelin T-63 is on and I've got a good offer on used tires and parts from Pal Anders Ullevalseter and will stick with that until further. He's an extremely pleasant guy to deal with, BTW.

Quote:
Do you have the spare boxes in your bush plate ? You need them, you can put all the tools and little parts in it. I have a front spare tube in a small bag over the lights behind the roadbook.
Mine has a CF tool box only on the left side of the bash plate. Pal Anders warned me that the bolts on this toolbox should be checked often since they tend to work loose and the box would melt against the exhaust pipe.

Quote:
Also i have a nice alloy switch for one ico and the roadbook. Now i did 12000km with the bike and it is still the best Offroad Allround bike i ever owned !!!
Same here. It's my first and best bike of its kind and I'm damn lucky to own it. Needless to say it's not for sale any more no matter the price offered.
This one's a keeper. I've done 3000km on it now in 3 weeks :) Giantloop Coyote saddlebags are now in customs and will be used in a couple of days. Thanks, Wachs & co.!
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 08-30-2010 at 06:48 AM
Old 08-31-2010, 11:40 PM   #59
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway
Thanks for the tyre tip.
Pirelli Scorpion Rally tires are sized 90/90 - 21 M/C 54R, 120/100 - 18 M/C 68R
and 140/80 - 18 M/C 70R. On mine the original 130/80 Michelin T-63 is on and I've got a good offer on used tires and parts from Pal Anders Ullevalseter and will stick with that until further. He's an extremely pleasant guy to deal with, BTW.

Mine has a CF tool box only on the left side of the bash plate. Pal Anders warned me that the bolts on this toolbox should be checked often since they tend to work loose and the box would melt against the exhaust pipe.

I had no problems, checking the bolts after every day riding ( off road- 350 km ) Check the left side of your exhaust pipe, my first cfk tool box get a little hole it it because of the heat from the exhaust, it was a little bit too near mounted to the box. Put some glue ( Loctite ) on the bolts.

Same here. It's my first and best bike of its kind and I'm damn lucky to own it. Needless to say it's not for sale any more no matter the price offered.
This one's a keeper. I've done 3000km on it now in 3 weeks :) Giantloop Coyote saddlebags are now in customs and will be used in a couple of days. Thanks, Wachs & co.!
May be Pal Anders has a lot of spare parts he wants to sell ?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:55 AM   #60
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?

Quote:
May be Pal Anders has a lot of spare parts he wants to sell ?
According to him the light mask (front fairing) and front tanks are identical on the new 450 Rally bike. That means previous 690 Rally competitors may have the CF front fairing side panels for sale and some other parts not compatible with the new 450.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100