Cummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:47 AM   #77
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummo
My temp fix for the original.

Cummo, theese parts are looking very well done, but never saw them on a factory bike from Despres ?

Do you did this work by your self or a company welded it ?

Some threads before i asked you for the parts for changing the rear suspension ?

Do you know exactly the part numbers or ist is the best way to give it to

the WP factory suspension department ?

Thanks a lot, Michele
italrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #78
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by italrally
Mmmmh, for me theese parts on the pic are looking not so nice !

Also how he put the db killer ( it 's the oem part from KTM to reduce the horsepower delivered with the original rally kit ) on the exhaust is not looking like a good ingeneering. I mean this bike costs a lot of money, so it would be nice to put some good and beautifull parts on it.
That's not the original KTM DB-killer. They're actually useless for sporty riding and with a tiny 22mm opening. Steve made those himself from scratch ( as he mentions earlier ), didn't rejet it and runs his bikes a little rich.

As for the supporting struts on Steve's bike; I think functionality is king. I don't race this bike and couldn't care less about "the minor beauty details". If it's solid and can allow me some luggage - that's my baby.

This weighs more heavily towards a dual-function supporting strut that allows me to strap on the GL Coyote saddlebag and have peace of mind when riding trails up in the Norwegian or Swedish mountain or woodland eldorados sans the hiccups of a tail breakage

@Cummo: Thanks for the pics of the new alloy reinforced tail-box. What does it cost? And where did you get those CF tank guards?
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 11-24-2010 at 07:04 AM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:12 AM   #79
Cummo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
The rear tail is from the rally department, contact Daniel Leida (spelling) you probably won't see it on a Despres or Coma 690 because the Iritrack doesn't fit in the upgrade section.

The bars to stabilize then original box were made by me, quite easy to bend some 3mm alloy bar.

For the suspension parts I asked the rally department, they supplied the kits, you need to give them thenserial number from the shock cause the rear shock is all different. You need to ask for the 09 rebound stack. I can send you the factory document on the shim sizes you need, the sag and clickers that WP recommend for the 690 . I will scan it next weekmand post it.

The tank guards were made by Nomad Racing in France.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #80
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?

Guess that's Daniela Leidl at KTM Racing. I'll consider a Rally Light kit also next year. I rarely need to fill up the rear tank. Too much sag to remain steady on the sidestand makes me searching for declines when parking a fully fuelled beast.

2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
Old 11-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #81
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
More of the updated rear..........the Iri wont fir in here anymore, I dont use a split system so I didnt bother.

But what is about the weight now ? It is now more weight with the alloy part as before with the CFK part ? And it is still hold with four bolts ?
Old 11-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #82
Cummo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Weighs less, no steel centre section. Mounts the same as the other one.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #83
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway
That's not the original KTM DB-killer. They're actually useless for sporty riding and with a tiny 22mm opening. Steve made those himself from scratch ( as he mentions earlier ), didn't rejet it and runs his bikes a little rich.

As for the supporting struts on Steve's bike; I think functionality is king. I don't race this bike and couldn't care less about "the minor beauty details". If it's solid and can allow me some luggage - that's my baby.

This weighs more heavily towards a dual-function supporting strut that allows me to strap on the GL Coyote saddlebag and have peace of mind when riding trails up in the Norwegian or Swedish mountain or woodland eldorados sans the hiccups of a tail breakage

@Cummo: Thanks for the pics of the new alloy reinforced tail-box. What does it cost? And where did you get those CF tank guards?
Look, nearly the same:

Tail reforcement: It is not the beauty what i mean, it is may be a very well cnc or welded piece of metall, like form follows function because also the rear tank is a art of work for me and i like to have good materials on my bike so i don't have to think about it when I`m off road riding.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #84
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
I hope that's dyed Kevlar. Anyone with even a thimble full of composite knowledge knows that of all of the composite materials available to the public, Carbon Fiber has the least amount of impact strength per lb. it would take half the weight of a Kevlar laminate to provide the same impact strength as Carbon, conversely, you could use the same weigth of Kevlar laminate and have twice the impact strength as Carbon Fiber.

I know Carbon is pretty, but it's only benefits come from stiffness and compressive strength.

How many Carbon Fiber flack jackets have you ever seen? Answer = 0
They are all made from Kevlar (Trade name) and other Aramid (technical name) products.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #85
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
I hope that's dyed Kevlar. Anyone with even a thimble full of composite knowledge knows that of all of the composite materials available to the public, Carbon Fiber has the least amount of impact strength per lb. it would take half the weight of a Kevlar laminate to provide the same impact strength as Carbon, conversely, you could use the same weigth of Kevlar laminate and have twice the impact strength as Carbon Fiber.

I know Carbon is pretty, but it's only benefits come from stiffness and compressive strength.

How many Carbon Fiber flack jackets have you ever seen? Answer = 0
They are all made from Kevlar (Trade name) and other Aramid (technical name) products.
Or simply a CF outer layer so it looks nice, just like the KTM rally bash plate.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #86
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Or simply a CF outer layer so it looks nice, just like the KTM rally bash plate.
Sure, but you can purchase dyed Kevlar in very brilliant colors of Blue, Green , Orange, Red, Black and metallic (aluminized) finishes. Also, Kevlar is about 60% the cost of Carbons.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #87
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by italrally
Look, nearly the same:

Tail reforcement: It is not the beauty what i mean, it is may be a very well cnc or welded piece of metall, like form follows function because also the rear tank is a art of work for me and i like to have good materials on my bike so i don't have to think about it when I`m off road riding.
@about Steve's self-made db-killers:
I've got those two pictured, stock "KTM strangulating asthmatic exhaust items" here in my office right now ( in addition to the air filter restrictor plate ). BTW, Steve has already mentioned further up this thread how he made his from scratch.

I agree about work of art etc., but in my world carrying the Coyote saddlebag takes priority over beauty. And in my simple mind a workable solution can be self-made - or even machined by the nearest metal workshop.

I'll scratch my head and make some templates for a tail-support. Then produce a solution from aluminium or other appropriate metal. It may even have aestethically pleasing ventilation holes. Pictures will follow later this winter when done
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 11-24-2010 at 02:48 PM
Old 11-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #88
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
Sure, but you can purchase dyed Kevlar in very brilliant colors of Blue, Green , Orange, Red, Black and metallic (aluminized) finishes. Also, Kevlar is about 60% the cost of Carbons.
That looks like a neat and elegant solution, but the trick is obviously to cut to shape and provide some energy-damping material behind the Kevlar fibres to save the front tanks from impact damage WHEN, not IF I go down after growing horns and fangs on the dirt.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
Old 11-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #89
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway
That looks like a neat and elegant solution, but the trick is obviously to cut to shape and provide some energy-damping material behind the Kevlar fibres to save the front tanks from impact damage WHEN, not IF I go down after growing horns and fangs on the dirt.
That's the point. Kevlar is built for sustaining impacts through unbelievable tensile strength. When something impacts a material it cannot fail (sustain a hole) unless the tensile modulus of the material is less than the pressure put on it. Carbon fiber has a very low tensile rating and will not take even half the blow that Kevlar will for it's weight. Also, when Carbon Fiber fails it shoots out very sharp carbon needles that will pierce most any material and lodge themsleves into skin causing irritation and infection.

Like I said before, how many carbon fiber flack jackets and bullet proof vests have you ever seen. NONE. They are all Kevlar and Aramid becuase those fibers are designed to dampen energy through impacts. You know, like the way a rock would impact your tank should you crash or drop your bike.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #90
F650Dakar_Norway OP
What off-season?

I used a kevlar jacket myself in UN-service in Lebanon in the eighties and wouldn't mind making a "Tank-Impact-Jacket". Those racing guys live and breathe crucial weight saving, while my gravel-dirt-touring regime can easily live with a few extra grammes.

Besides, that colored Kevlar looks "da shit" and should do a decent job protecting those expensive polymer tanks. I'll go for that solution, so where do I order here in Scandinavia? Hmmm...this can be an interesting farkle-rich KTM-winter
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100