Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
gmsnowball OP
Black Bear Pass

Oddometer: 882
Big Bend Burnt Clutches and Tall Tales of Survival...The Sequel..

Big Bend Burnt Clutches and Tall Tales of Survival......The Sequel

Feb 18-22 2009,Team Pink converged on Big Bend Texas to complete unfinished business left over from 2007. Jan 2007 Team Pink, so named after the color of our cabin in Terlingua, was looking for warmer riding and getting out of Snowklahoma. Little did we know that we were about to see the first snow and ice storm in Terlingua in almost twenty years. After 15 hours of driving from Edmond Oklahoma we arrived in Terlingua Texas, unloaded our bikes and went for a short ride in the National Park of Big Bend. We didn't know the roads in Big Bend were closed due to the ice and snow. Would that stop true adventure riders? I think not, but the conditions of the dirt roads should have been more than an adequate warning of what was to come.

After performing the mud dance from hell in the park Wild Bill and I decided to make it back to Team Pink Headquarters for some much needed sleep. That would be the last sleep we would get for over twenty four hours.

We decided to ride outside the park the next day and ventured into what we now call Area 51, just east and north of Terlingua. We heard the roads were rocky and passable. Yeah right, and I have some beach front property in Nebraska for sale .......cheap. This is what the passable roads looked like

The wheels were completely plugged with mud....would not roll until they were cleaned out.

The big red pig is down....the big red pig is down......

Needless to say this resulted in the big red pig frying it's clutch and keeping Wild Bill and I up all night in the desert. We had sent Zrod and Uncle Dave for help around 4:PM only to later find out they too were prisoners of the desert for the night. Thank God Wild Bill decided to stay behind with me to keep me and our little fire company.

The next day after a totally miserably cold night Wild Bill and I rode out on his KLX 250. We were able to make it out as the roads were partially frozen allowing enough traction to climb out of the canyon we were in. Imagine two guys on a KLX 250....kinda looked like two monkeys on a football I'm glad there were no pictures

We all made it back to Team Pink Headquarters and slept like logs. We found help a day later and ventured back into area 51 to retrieve the big red pig. It took a four wheel drive van with monster tires and wenches to get it out. This is what the poor thing looked like in the back of Steve's van.

Needless to say our trip to Big Bend to get away from the cold up north had not turned out as expected. We did however have several tales for our grandchildren and bench racing buddies so the trip was not a total bust.

Next.........The Sequel.... Big Bend Part II...... February 2009

12 Super Tenere

gmsnowball screwed with this post 02-28-2009 at 06:52 PM
gmsnowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,033
shite!

looks like a workout
glad you lived to tell the tale
Old 02-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Looks like quite the mudfest too! Let's see more of the action

Old 02-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
gmsnowball OP
Black Bear Pass

Big Bend Burnt Clutches and Tall Tales of Survival The Sequel

More photos from our epic adventure of 2007, just enough to bring along the photos of 2009

Team Pink Headquarters in Terlingua

Uncle Dave's KLX 400 will not roll

The Hilton.... word is the gentleman that lived here was buried in a burlap sack behind his shack.....the guy that helped haul the big red pig out of the canyon helped put the guy in the ground.

Wild Bill's little KLX that could.....do you think it got cold during the night

Wild Bill glad to see the sun rise as was I

Looks cold for the desert.....

The sequel is next............................

12 Super Tenere
Old 02-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,284
15 hours from OK? I got one of your Arkansas tracks from gpsxchange.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,641
>"four wheel drive van with monster tires and wenches to get it out."

Any photos of wenches..... please?
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:59 AM   #7
Digger Deep
Keep 'er Lit

Oddometer: 202
i just frigging hate that mud shit
Digger Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #8
gmsnowball OP
Black Bear Pass

Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger Deep
i just frigging hate that mud shit

I hate mud shit too but we didn't have a choice if we wanted to ride No pics of the wenches, they were on the front. Steve told me he uses desert bushes to tie to, said the roots go real deep. He had several other bikes stuck in the park that week and he would not even think of going after them for at least a week. If it hadn't been for the fact that Steve was Wild Bill's friend, the big red pig may still be out there today

12 Super Tenere
Old 03-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Thats some serious mud plugging
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
gmsnowball OP
Black Bear Pass

Big Bend The Sequel

Our second attempt at Big Bend went perfect except for the last day when we went on a short ride before we left for home. Radical Randy and I were waiting on Wild Bill, Fantasic Phil and Grumpy to return from a short hop up a steep hill when Randy pulled next to me, put his foot down and didn't find earth. He fell on an off camber side hill into my bike getting stuck between his and my bike twisting his ankle. We got him on his DRZ and made it back to Team Pink Headquarters, loaded our bikes and made tracks for Oklahoma.

We drove over 16 hours and arrived back home at 3:30 AM the next day. Pictures and short stories of our ride with 50-60 other dual sporters during the Uncle's Ride Around the Bend Dual Sport Rally.

Day One

We left Oklahoma and planned to drive to Midland and stop for the night. We found a BBQ spot that we just had to try. They serve your food on a piece of paper and you pay by the pound. Food was great and the sauce was super.

Wild Bill and Uncle Dave pigging out on the BBQ

The BBQ management hung this sign on the restroom after Uncle Dave left.

When we were leaving we spotted this young lady sporting Team Pink shorts, a future member of Team Pink????

Uncle Dave taking a break inside Area 51

Team Pink Headquarters

We obviously were riding in the wrong portion of Area 51

We had to make the obligatory stop at the Hilton in Area 51

David Hilton was the gentelman that built and lived in this rock house. When he died he had friends bury him behind his house in a burlap sack. Our friend Steve that helped get us out of Area 51 in 2007 helped others bury Mr. Hilton.

A time capsule bottle circa 1985.

Snowball in front of the Hilton. It was much drier than the last time we visited

We had to stop and visit the Zrod-Uncle Dave secret hide out where they spent the night in 2007. They had it made....Wild Bill and I roughed it out in the open with only our little campfire to keep us company

Wild Bill and my campfire....still there two years later

Day Two -------Later

12 Super Tenere
Old 03-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #11
gmsnowball OP
Black Bear Pass

Day Two

Day Two in Big Bend led us to the Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe where we met up with 50-60 Dual Sporters from all over.

We left the Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe around 9:00 and headed out on Old Maverick Road on the way to River Road. We got to ride the River Road West and East. It sandy and full of loose rocks. It made for some interesting lines. I saw one line where someone swapped ends and bit it hard, complete with broke parts.

Big Red Pig and Mean Green Machine

Our friendly Border Patrol buzzing us while we were on the River Road. While we were taking a break a guy on a DL1000 with huge saddle bags, tail and tank bags came by on the river road and stopped to visit with us. He asked how much further it was to Rio Grande Village. When we told him he was about a third of the way there he looked whipped. He had a huge gash in his header and he said he was sure getting tired of falling over. He was my hero of the day. I can't imagine riding a DL1000 on the river road with full gear. He was a hoss.

A sign we were getting close

Radical Randy on River Road making time

Uncle Dave coming on hard, he thought we ran off and left him

More later

12 Super Tenere
Old 01-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
cgwt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179

When is later?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:22 PM   #13
gmsnowball OP
Black Bear Pass

Later

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwt

When is later?
Later is now...

Uncle Dave evidently left quite the impression with the management at the BBQ joint we ate at on the way to Big Bend. They hung this danger sign while he was in the restroom.

This is the infamous "Hilton." David Hilton built this slab rock cabin and lived there many years with no electricity or running water. He died in the cabin and was buried in a burlap sack behind the cabin without a marker. Only in Texas.

One of the many outstanding views offered by Big Bend

One of the many dirt/gravel roads on the way to Area 51

The Rio Grande River on the way to Presidio

This is the meeting spot for each days ride. Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe

Some interesting cactus on the Rio Grande

That's all for now. Team Pink is making it's annual attack on Big Bend 24-28 Feb 2010. We plan to trailer to Dallas and ride to Big Bend through the Texas hill country. Should be a great time.

12 Super Tenere
Old 01-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #14
cgwt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Thanx, man
I just love that part of Texas
Old 01-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
gmsnowball OP
Black Bear Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwt
Thanx, man
I just love that part of Texas
Me too, the weather is fantasic and the riding is super.

12 Super Tenere