Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #16
bisbonian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
Each night we like to take a walk after dinner, I saw no reason not to do this while we were down in Banámichi as well. I was continually amazed at how many people were out at night, not that it was all that late but it just seemed odd.

Many people had assured me that the Guzzi would be safe on the street and I'd seen nothing to think they were wrong so I left it parked out front.

We live in a pretty rural part of Southeast AZ but I have to tell you that compared to the lack of sound at night in Banámichi we could be in the big city. Well that's almost true, for some reason every car that passed us had the radio up so loud that we could sing along, I even began to recognize songs.

The skies were amazingly clear with stars visible that I've never seen before. Unfortunately my road camera is unable to capture this sort of stuff, I tried but all I got was black.

At one point we could hear what we thought was the river down below us, not having a flashlight I really didn't care to go exploring but we promised we'd make it down there in the morning before we left.

We saw this design painted on walls in a lot of towns we went through.

Aah, Monday morning and it's time to start thinking of home.

First of course we came down and had a bit of breakfast; I decided that I would try some huevos rancheros this morning but I can't deal with runny eggs. I spent a good 10 minutes going through all our different trip books figuring what I'd need to say to have a good firm yolk in my eggs and had high expectations when placing my order.

Of course as soon as my fork hit the eggs the yolk puddled all over my plate. I asked Karen if she'd mind trading me very much and since she loves me she said okay.

I think I got the better part of the deal, she'd ordered hotcakes but they were like no hotcakes I'd ever eaten before; not only were they light and fluffy but they had fried bananas on top and some sort of bacon on the side that I've never seen. At least I think it was bacon, it sure tasted like it but it was really thick, about a centimeter on each side; regardless it sure was tasty.

Not much left when I thought to take a picture.

As Karen was working on settling up the bill I wandered around and took some pictures of the place.

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #17
bisbonian OP
Studly Adventurer

It was a beautiful day; isn't that the way it always goes, cloudy all weekend then it clears when you're leaving?

On the way down we'd got into a time crunch so we tried to take it a little easier on the way back and enjoy the scenery, and there's a lot of it.

I looked for the dead bull but I never saw it.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #18
bisbonian OP
Studly Adventurer

When we'd stopped to see Alberto on the way down he had told us to be sure to stop in Arizpe and see the church down there. I can't remember the whole family story but he was related to a couple of mayors down there and maybe someone in his family had helped build the ceiling of the place.

Anyway, when we saw the sign for Arizpe we made sure to turn in.

Since we really didn't know where we were going we just sort of tooled around for awhile at first. We came across this little house, I really liked the chimney on the side.

Eventually we made our way to the city center, I knew we were there when I saw the clock tower.

I like the cobbled streets, they're not really cobblestones but they're definitely not asphalt of concrete; they're not really smooth to ride on but they have character!

From the clock tower we could see the church so we headed that direction. It really is a pretty nifty old place.

I'm still surprised they just leave the doors open, I guess they want to make sure the sinners have unencumbered access...

We went ahead and walked in, there were no bolts of lightning or peals of thunder so I'm guessing I'm still on the good side.

The ceilings really were quite nice, there's a lot of work that goes into one of these places.

I was a little surprised about how narrow the church was.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #19
bisbonian OP
Studly Adventurer

We decided to get back on the road and head on out.

I believe this is "The Serape" formation that we were told about on the way up, yes we should have left earlier so we could see it in the sun.

We stopped back in Bacoachi just for a behind break, and because there are cows in their river crossing.

For pedestrians they have a suspension bridge going over the river; this has to be one of the wobbliest suspension bridges I've ever tried to walk across. There were parts of the decking that had become unhooked and were sort of dangling; I sent Karen across first to check it out for me.

We decided we needed to just drive on to Cananea and get home, we were both getting a little tired and relaxing on the couch was sounding good.

There were still a few good pictures to take but I began to wick up the speed so we could get home.

We got into Cananea and I parked nice and close to the Banjercito figuring that would make life a lot easier. I felt lucky when I saw it was the same clerk from the trip up; this time she told me that she needed to have a picture of my VIN. She followed me out and her security guard pal came with her, they began looking all over the bike for the VIN; the guard got a surprised when he tried to use my exhaust pipe as a grab handle. Go figure we finally found the VIN in the normal place on the steering head, there was not plate or decal like I'm used to, just a laser-etched number. She never got a good picture and I think was just happy to be rid of me in the end.

We followed Mex 2 back toward Naco, this time I could see speed limit signs. I'm not sure why they have speed limit signs; the limit was 80 km/hr which I figure comes out to about 50mph, I was doing 70mph and got passed by a tour bus like I was standing still.

It was sort of a relief to get to Naco, we turned in our tourist visas at Immigration, no hassle, and then waited in the longest line I've ever waited in at the Naco border crossing.

Yes, I think that's two cars ahead of us.

I was relieved to be back home, traveling in Mexico was both more stressful and yet easier than I thought it would be. I had a great time and we plan to go back more this summer, hopefully with better weather.

I learned that Topes are speed bumps that are put on the main drag through towns, you will be sure to slow down for at least the second set.