Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Katie K OP
Adv Rider in Training

Oddometer: 56
Are you a Mexican or a Mexican't? Mexico on a KTM.

So begins our ride report here. This time, we got smart and brought a mini-laptop on our trip, so as to document our travels while in them, hopefully leading to a complete ride report (which isn't CJRacer's or my forte).

CJRacer and I have decided to explore central and southern coastal Mexico. The plan: loose at best. We have been to Copper canyon in the past, and this time I wanted to see some colonial architecture in some towns, and CJ wanted some terrain. I like Mexico. It's a cool country with cool things to do. Of course, when bringing up our trip to co-workers, family, I get one of several responses: WHY are you going there (in an annoying voice), or a family just got murdered there, or are you staying at an all-inclusive? Well, I think we'll take our chances about being murdered, and no there will be no all-inclusive. This trip started out with me asking off 1 week at work, then it upgraded to 2 weeks, and then, luckily I eeked out another week off.

We took off from Milwaukee at a balmy 35-40 degrees. It had warmed up. We packed the truck with the KTM 950 and headed south.

Drive was good, no ice/snowstorms like in previous years. Stopped in the Alamo, met up with advrider MikeinSA for some tasty breakfast tacos. Then checked out the Alamo. There really isn't a basement in the Alamo.

Met up with fellow advrider Juan in Edinburg, TX. After some more tasty fajitas (this ride report may get food oriented), some beers, and some good conversation, we packed up Monday am to cross the border.

Decided to cross the border near Mission, TX, which Juan indicated was a nice crossing. We took the azulcales (spelling?) bridge near Mission to cross. The border crossing is brand new, still a bit under construction. Another driver and we were the only people in the importation area. Some words of advice if you haven't crossed... You'll need an original title, your driver's license, passports to cross. We made copies of these items in advance, which saves some $- they charge a bit too much for copies, and it makes things go smoother. You should go to fill out the passport paperwork and then go to the Banjercito window. Other than that, it is pretty easy. That crossing spits you out on the outskirts of Reynosa, which is usually a good thing to breeze on out of the border.

Katie K screwed with this post 01-28-2010 at 04:28 PM
Katie K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Are you driving or riding? I'm guessing you left your van on the US side?

If you get a chance, I'd recommend Real de Catorce. Great Silver mining history and rather quaint. Some neat little motels too and great dirt roads out of there. Peyote capital, Huichol indians. Read up on it. Not far off main road, near Matehuala.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,950
The Chauffeur

Friday Jan 15th 2010

I spent a long day on Fri Jan 15th packing the truck, loading the 950, getting everything prepped for our 1500 mile drive to the border. We departed from Mukwonago at 7:00pm and arrived at a Hotel 6 in Springfield, IL at 11:15. I've been working 2nd shift now so I'm normally up until 1 or 2 am. Going to bed this early will take some getting use to again.

Good drive today, no real issues other than the gas milage of the truck. We did about 260 miles that night. Still cold.

Saturday Jan 16th

Up at 6:00am, walk out to the truck and almost land on my butt. The parking lot was a sheet of black ice. Just what I need, two broken wrists.
On the road at 7:00am, this is going to be a long day. Plans are San Anontio, TX by midnight....at least that's what the GPS said our arrival time was as we roll out the driveway.

The day went great. The temps kept getting warmer. No Snow and only a few light showers around Tulsa, OK.

Katie and I kept swapping as Pilot and Co-Pilot. Making great time and keeping those tires rolling. We arrive at the Hotel just before Midnight, right on track, with about 1050 miles for the day. Daniel (Xbdx) and his buddy Vince were there to meet up w/ a few cold beers. Great to see them again and unwind from a long day.

Sunday Jan 17th

Stayed up way too late last night. Got to bed around 2am. Up around 8:30am. Still tired, but looks to be a great day. 50F in the morn and the sun is out. Us Wisconsonites haven't seen that in about 3 months.

After getting turned around and a bit of a detour, Katie and I met MikeinSA for breakfast at 10am. The place was about a mile from the hotel, but a went the wrong way out the driveway and it took me 15 miles and a phone call from Mike to figure it out. After a great breakfast and conversation we met back up with Daniel and Vince to head downtown San Antonio to check out the Alamo.

Daniel.

Sorry Vince, never got one of you. Great meeting you and hope to do some riding in the Spring.

Very nice area, and I'm sure Katie will want to stop back again for some shopping if we get the chance. It was about 60F and sunny, perfect to walk around and stretch the legs before we head south to our parking spot that night another 4hr drive to McAllan.

Juan (MexTex) invited us to park the truck at his place and stay the night.
What a great place. His buddy Jim was over and we enjoyed an amazing Fajita meal, while talking bikes.

Juan sure has a nice collection, from a BMW GS to a KDX250. We hit the hay around 11PM after checking all our gear over again and leaving a few extra items behind to make more room on the bike. It was 70F when we got down there and the weather was suppose to be great on Mon too. Can't wait to hit the road.

We're not pro photographers so bear with us.

I'm also trying to keep our SPOT position updated here:
http://twitter.com/#search?q=cjdesignsllc

later,
CJ

cjracer screwed with this post 01-28-2010 at 04:48 PM
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
I'd recommend Real de Catorce. Great Silver mining history and rather quaint.
Mon Night: That's where I'm typing from. Awesome place. More info and pics to come on Tues. Time for bed, long ride today.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
HWSNBN
Banned

Oddometer: 2,897
Ride the horses! and explore the back way out of town through the Peyote plantations in the Huichol Indian reservation. Theres some cool old mining ruins down that road, the foundry where all the areas ore was smelted being one. The graveyard is also a cool thing to explore.

Bet its chilly up there though! ha
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
xdbx
Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer: 2,493
hey cool! some dweebs posting from the road. ride on friends!
2004 KTM 525 exc
2006 Beta Rev3
xdbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
I just got back from Baja, I think I picked up some sort of addiction.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #8
hensons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Im a mexican!
hensons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:48 AM   #9
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,987
Glad to see you guys still get out once in a while. Craig, Linda, Marty, Al and Charlie were just in Real de Catorce.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:25 AM   #10
MikeinSA

Oddometer: 3,669
Hey guys! Nice meeting you. I'm glad you'll be posting from the road, this should be cool. And thanks for the info on the Mission crossing - sounds like I may try that one next time.
Ride safe,
Mike
MikeinSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:32 AM   #11
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Real

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer
Mon Night: That's where I'm typing from. Awesome place. More info and pics to come on Tues. Time for bed, long ride today.
Did you take the west road out of Real?

Stay at the top of the hill at Hotel Ruinas del Real?

I'll be tuned into this report so lots of details please. I want to explore some of the same areas.

Have a great time.

DR350 It'll get you there
But then so will my DR650

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #12
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,732
Bring on the pics
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:16 AM   #13
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #14
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,141
I'm tuned in!

Hey there folks

Keep it coming, this may turn out to be next years destination. In the meantime, I'll give your regards to the canyons.

Kevin
Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #15
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Mexico? What happened to the Costa Rica plans?

Real de Catorce in January............buuurrrrrrrr!!!!!!

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote