Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #751
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommer
but all you guys are doing such a good job incorperating my pics into "the story i could not tell" ill let you finish.. i

Nonsense they were just stoking the fire waiting...

Welcome back....
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:06 AM   #752
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 7,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRAsH
That's one Happy Jack.
Happy Jack is Happy
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #753
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganshert
Happy Jack is Happy
I'm pretty sure that smile was in defiance of the "evil ganshert"

Old 02-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #754
dirtbound4Max
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Riley
These are andystrapz bags. Just make sure they don't hit your chain or else you'll end up a big hole in the bottom like I did.
Region Riley,
Thanks for the reply on the "Andy Strapz". Just visited their website and I'm now getting ready to purchase a set. Can't wait to get'em!!!!!! Thanks again....................Sean
dirtbound4Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #755
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,393
January 15th...

...dawned bright and sunny, and a bit breezy. But nothing like the day before.

After breakfast we headed north out of town on some dirt roads that eventually dropped us onto MX1 again.

Something I hadn't mentioned: at some point during this trip, my starter started making the most godawful "CLACK!" sound when I'd try to start it. At first I just thought "what the hell was that?", but by the time we got to Guerrero Negro, I was seriously concerned that it wasn't going to start. We had wanted to check out San Borja Mission, but I really didn't want to get out in the middle of nowhere on a sandy road and not be able to start that pig. This morning, it made one of the worst sounds ever, but it started. I was reluctant to shut it off from here on out. I had to at the gas station that morining, though, and it started with no noise, then again at a military checkpoint. Maybe it healed itself. I was hoping anyway.

Tami and I headed up MX1 (Mommer's pic):

We stayed on the pavement until we were sick to death of it, and stopped in Santa Rosalita or something- where the road turned off to go to San Borja Mission. We stopped there for a little snack, and Tami and I needed water. At this point we were planning to ride pavement up to the turn to Coco's, then up to Alphonsina's; this would get us to the border a day earlier than needed, but I was really worried about the bike.

When it started up fine with no noise again, though, that plan went out the window.... over the sound of the bikes I yelled to Mommer and Bonnie "Let's go to San Borja!" BIG smiles and thumbs up from both of them, and we were on our way!

-more-

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #756
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

At this point, we had no idea what to expect from this road. I saw it on a map, but no one I had asked seemed to know anything either. It turned out to be well marked and FUN! It had everything from sand, packed sand, rocks, washouts, twists and turns, and some vados thrown in to keep you on your toes...

And it goes through some amazing Boojum forests...

This is where I snapped my favorite pic of the trip:

The riding was sweet! It wasn't long before we arrived at another highlight; San Borja Mission. I know you've seen a ton of pics from the rest of the gang, but we'll throw in a few....

-more-

Old 02-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #757
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 26,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
I hope that's the new wallpaper on your computer. BEAUTIFUL.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #758
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

San Borja Mission is amazing...

From Wikipedia:

San Borja was a Spanish mission established in 1762 by the Jesuit Wenceslaus Linck at the Cochimí settlement of Adac, west of Bahía de los Ángeles.

Before becoming a mission, the future site of San Borja served as a visita or subordinate mission station for Misión Santa Gertrudis. The construction of buildings was begun in 1759. A stone church was completed during the Dominican period, in 1801.

The mission was abandoned in 1818, as the native population in this part of the peninsula disappeared. Structures and ruins survive.

Mommer's pic

What the pics can't capture is the coolness of the cave like interior, or the utter silence within these meter thick walls built of stone. 2,000 + Indios labored to build this build this building, and most of them are buried behind the site.

It's a very special place. But the valley here was important even before the mission was built.

-more-

Old 02-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #759
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke

This is where I snapped my favorite pic of the trip:

-more-
Front page!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #760
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,853
that's a beautiful part of Baja
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #761
kennyh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
The boojum trees were one of my favorites from that road. Kind of cartoonish looking. Good stuff, must go back.
kennyh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #762
MotoKat
Whine Cooler.

Oddometer: 29,110
I love this RR.
MotoKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #763
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

We also took the tour of the gardens with Jenaro. It's easy to see why the Cochimi chose to settle here before the Spaniards arrived. 11 springs, including 2 hot springs are on the grounds. Jenaro is just one among many people that have utilized this oasis in the desert. Generations of Indians, generations of mestizo... it's mind boggling to think about. Jenaro told us that his family decends from both the indians and the missionaries, 7 generations back. This is his place...

Avocados, Grapes, Olives, limes, oranges, bananas, corn, dates, papaya... among some of the things Jenaro and his family grow here...

I can't tell you how impressed I was with this kid- just a super nice 19 y.o., completely at peace with his place in the world...

The hot spring... too hot for us this day...

I asked Jenaro about girlfriends. There aren't any girls out here...

"I don't need to go anywhere! The girls come to me! I have girlfriends from Canada, Sweden, the US, Argentina...."

Plan for a future trip: I will go back and camp under the palms, next to the burbling springs, under the desert stars in this sacred valley. This place is magical.

-more-

Old 02-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #764
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

The road into San Borja Mission from the west was alot of fun. But the road out to the north was an absolute BLAST!

I'd been content to sit in the back in the morning, taking some pics and staying out of the dust. But as we left I asked Tami and Mommer if I could lead for a bit; I felt a Meoni Minute coming on.

The next several miles were a blur... I was backing into turns, sliding out, wheeliing over vados, jumping rollers... the 950 was finally at a speed where it just works. THIS is what it was designed to do; rip off huge miles quickly across desert terrain- the sahara, baja, whatever.... wooohoooo!!!!

There was a section with a series of rollers, almost like big whoops, that were just beautiful... loft the front and stay on the gas, jump jump jump... "OH SHIT!" One of the rollers was just totally out of rhythm with the others, and I had a brief pucker moment as the beeg peeg of a 9fiddy started to swap out at high speed, the weight of all that camping gear and extra fuel swinging from side to side. I stayed on the gas and she came back in line, and I thought maybe I should slow down a bit. I looked down to see 70 on the gps...

I backed off for a little while but then began to channel Fabrizio again, and next thing I know I'm coming out of a vado and I'm in the air, only to see a Boojum tree laying across the road! I came to a sliding sideways stop a few feet in front of it. I could have easily just ridden over it, but I had no idea if those spiky little branches were like the thorns on everything else out here or what? I could just see a tire full of thorns.

I got off the bike, walked over and kicked the little twig-like branches away. It would have been no problem. Oh well.

I waited for a bit, and heard Tami's XT coming up the road, and she was MOVING!!!!

I could tell that she was having a blast, because she didn't want to slow down, so I had to wave wildly to get her to stop before running into the boojum...

We talked for a minute and Mommer rolled up... he was having just as much fun.

Crossing the Boojum:

After a few more miles I figured I needed to slow it down a bit, so Mommer took the lead for awhile, and I waited to get out of the dust...

Further down the road, we came to a spot where Mommer was standing with his camera and flagging us down... apparently he almost died on the same hill/curve that made Kelly look like a powdered donut.

And then, too soon, we were on the pavement to Bay of LA again, Tami on reserve even after dumping her extra in:

-more-

Old 02-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #765
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,378

Todd Snider
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote