Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #766
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Good to see Jenaro doing well. I havent been by there in about 4 years. Need to change that. Good kid.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #767
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,411
When we were rolling in to Bay of LA, I was really looking forward to Casa del Sol again. We rode up into the parking lot, and the owner (I can't remember her name ) met us there.

"Tiene una cuarto libre?"

"No tiene reservacion?"

"No"

"No, no tengo cuartos."

Apparently she was all booked up! She said she had a group of motorcyclists coming and they had all 10 rooms booked.

So down the street we went, and found a completely empty Hotel. Not as nice as Casa del Sol, but it was pretty nice, and the owner was super happy to have us. He grabbed us some Pacificos and told us to park on the porch in front of the rooms:

Bikes parked for the night, we headed down to the beach to look for some dinner, and found a great place to watch the water as the bay darkened...

We talked about the trip, and how much fun it had been, how sad we were that there'd only be one more night in Baja.

Our plan for tomorrow was to head to San Felipe.

Plans in Baja have a nasty way of changing.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #768
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 25,954
Dinner on our last night in San Felipe was great. Great food, great friends, and great margaritas. You'd think after two weeks I'd be sick of hanging out with these guys but that simply wasn't the case. Sure there were a few tense moments, those are going to happen when you travel with people but on the whole I was incredibly happy with the way that the group had gotten along and gotten things done. I can't think of anyone else that I would have rather done this trip with.

A final night of bench racing, talking about all of our favorite spots and favorite people we met along the way was fun and laughing about our own sillyness was even better.

For Chris, Kelly, and Jack the riding portion of the trip was over but Ben and I still had one more day on the bikes ahead of us.

If you'll remember at the beginning of the trip Ben and I faced the challenge of where to leave our truck. Now it was time to head back and find out if it was still there. :crossingfingers
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #769
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
Our plan for tomorrow was to head to San Felipe.

Plans in Baja have a nasty way of changing.
Baja in spanish means "nasty way of changing"
Old 02-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #770
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 7,993
double cliffhanger
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #771
Charla OP
Tamalamian

January 15th

We woke up surprisingly early considering the number of margaritas I had had the night before and I was anxious to hit the road. We geared up, got the bikes loaded, grabbed a cup of coffee and then lingered over goodbyes while the others were working on getting the van loaded up.

We hit the road on our final leg and made for the border. The wind had died down considerably but not gone away completely so I was still inclined to ride in full tuck mode. I was in the lead and I pinned the throttle trying to eek out every last one of the 12 raging ponies from my motor. I was managing a pretty respectable 70 mph as we were crossing the dry lake bed when all of a sudden my bike. just. died.

It quit.

I coasted to a stop (luckily there was a decent shoulder to pull over on) and Ben pulled up next to me.

"What the heck happened?"

"I don't know, it just died."

"Crap."

I unscrewed the gas cap and took a peek inside. I was shocked at how much fuel had been consumed but there was still enough that the bike shouldn't have died. I put the gas cap back on and hit the starter button. After a couple of chugs it started right up and was idling just fine.

"Hmmmmmm. That's weird."

The only thing that we could figure was that my tank had vacuum locked and the fuel wasn't able to flow out. I had been having some issues with the check valve on my gas cap before the trip so we figured it had to be that.

Since we were stopped anyway we figured it would be a decent spot for a break.

When we were getting ready to head out again Ben instructed me to go a little easier on the throttle. I whined about it but eventually relented.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #772
Charla OP
Tamalamian

We were both getting anxious to get back and Ben, the sick, demented man that he is was actually looking forward to lane splitting the line at the border crossing.

We got to Mexicali and it seemed to take forever to actually get to the border. Ben was so focused on the directional signs that he blew through at least one major 4 way stop while I'm yelling "ALTO! ALTO!" at him in my helmet as if I thought he could hear me.

We finally got to the line to cross the border and had started out in the left lane. Our friend Chuck had an interesting story from trying to use the express lane the previous year so we knew we wanted to stay the heck away from that. A man on the sidewalk yelled at Ben to "GO RIGHT!" and it was on from there.

Ben started zig-zagging through the waiting cars until he reached the sidewalk at the far right. There wasn't enough room to pass the cars on the right so he hopped the curb and started riding down the sidewalk past a man with no legs who was cheering him on and various other street vendors.

I had managed to keep up with him ok until we hit the sidewalk. I was reluctant to follow my loco gringo but I didn't have much choice. I popped my front wheel over the curb but the rear got hung up and started spinning. As it was spinning it was also sliding closer and closer to the car the I was trying to get around. I didn't want to make contact so I leaned forward and muscled the bike up over the curb and took off down the sidewalk. There was at least one point where the sidewalk was blocked and we had to zag through the cars again and then hop back up. It was nuts but Ben was having a blast. We finally made it to the front of the line and made it through the crossing without any hassle.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #773
rockjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Great RR.

Free Your Mind...And Your Ass Will Follow
rockjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:47 AM   #774
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
The road into San Borja Mission from the west was alot of fun. But the road out to the north was an absolute BLAST!

I'd been content to sit in the back in the morning, taking some pics and staying out of the dust. But as we left I asked Tami and Mommer if I could lead for a bit; I felt a Meoni Minute coming on.

The next several miles were a blur... I was backing into turns, sliding out, wheeliing over vados, jumping rollers... the 950 was finally at a speed where it just works. THIS is what it was designed to do; rip off huge miles quickly across desert terrain- the sahara, baja, whatever.... wooohoooo!!!!

There was a section with a series of rollers, almost like big whoops, that were just beautiful... loft the front and stay on the gas, jump jump jump... "OH SHIT!" One of the rollers was just totally out of rhythm with the others, and I had a brief pucker moment as the beeg peeg of a 9fiddy started to swap out at high speed, the weight of all that camping gear and extra fuel swinging from side to side. I stayed on the gas and she came back in line, and I thought maybe I should slow down a bit. I looked down to see 70 on the gps...
I did almost the exact same thing on that same section

I loved that road, but it had some serious "waiting in ambush" qualities that would get you if you weren't on the ball. Every turn brought something new. If you didn't like what you were riding on, wait five minutes, it would change.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #775
Region Riley
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,416
A few pics from our final morning together in San Felipe. As Charla said, we couldn't have asked for better travelling companions and I was sad to see them go.

This is where the adventure ends for Chris, Jack, and me. We loaded up the van , stopped at a bakery for some pineapple empanadas and drove straight thru to Colorado Springs.

Chris made me take this pic at the border. Motos can ride the sentry lane to within about 50yds of the border, then there is a small opening in the barriers with a sign for motos to rejoin the car traffic. But don't blink or you'll miss the opening and get yelled at like our friend Chuck did last year.

Region Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:42 AM   #776
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,817
I made a diagram. This really bugged me since last year and I was determined to figure it out.
Here is a diagram to help show what it really is.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #777
tweetie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,040

That diagram might come in handy someday, Chris. I was trying to following what Ben and Charla did, but got lost when they went up on the sidewalk.
tweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #778
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetie

That diagram might come in handy someday, Chris. I was trying to following what Ben and Charla did, but got lost when they went up on the sidewalk.
So did I.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #779
Region Riley
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetie

Ben and Charla rode the sidewalk on the opposite side of the sentry lane. We saw another guy do the same thing when we crossed, he had hard bags and it was a tight squeeze around the fire hydrants.
Region Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #780
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Riley
Ben and Charla rode the sidewalk on the opposite side of the sentry lane. We saw another guy do the same thing when we crossed, he had hard bags and it was a tight squeeze around the fire hydrants.
If the lanes were wide enough to fit between the cars we wouldn't have had to resort to using the sidewalk.