A pic while I gather it together...

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #827
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug
To say I was in shock, would be putting it lightly. This sweet ol' man, who had just offered to go way out of his way to help me out, a complete stranger, was gone . I just couldn't believe it. I jumped out of the truck and saw Brian, his son, standing at the back of the pickup where his father lay in the back seat, his head was bent and his shoulders were shaking and he simply looked like a needed a good hug. I walked over and tapped him on the shoulder, told him how sorry I was and let him cry on my shoulder for a bit. Then, of all things he looks at me and says, we'll get your bike for you soon . I told him to please not worry about it that another nice guy had come along and had brought the bike back to Gonzaga and that we could store it at his house there. He still said he'd be happy to take it back to Yuma for me, but I told him not to worry about it, he had enough on his plate at the moment.

We went over to Alphonsina's then and got a room (the room Brian and his father were supposed to be in ) and met up with Mike (the family friend) at dinner a little later. Mike said that Brian was headed to San Felipe in the truck with his Dad, his Dad's wife and his Dad's brother, but that Brian would be back down in a day or two with a great big trailer and they would for sure get my bike back to Yuma and Burt's house for me. Mike is friends with Burt too and figured it wouldn't be a problem to keep the bike there until we could come back for it.

And there you have it, the story of the day that I wish had never happened.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #828
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

I've been putting off finishing this up because I just didn't want to read through that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
It was a really somber night at Alphonsina's last night. I don't think I slept at all... too much to think about. The bike was the last thing on our mind at this point, but in the morning, Mike told us again that they would bring it. I don't know if it will really make it back home- they have alot to deal with. I'm sure it can't be easy to get through the beauracracy of getting a persons body back across the border, then all of their equipment. There's no way to communicate out of Gonzaga, so no one knew what was happening as of this morning.

We shoved the little XT between a couple of trailers down on the beach at Doug's house, and maybe it will rust away there.

Then we loaded the 950's up with Tami's stuff, and she hopped on the back, and we motored for the border. The road out of Gonzaga sucks two-up, BTW. I hate that they are paving it, but I will admit to being happy to hit that new pavement and blast up to 80 as soon as I could. We kept up a good pace all the way through the farm country around Algodones, and crossed the border about an hour before dark.

What an amazing trip. I could do without the stuff that happened yesterday, but right up until noon yesterday was the best trip ever. Riding the dry lakebed in the AM was surreal. And wait until you see the pics and video of riding the beach out of San Juanico.

We had an Adventure.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #829
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

The XT stuck between some trailers on the beach at Gonzaga Bay...

I have to say, I didn't expect to see it again, and I still don't know why they did it, but it's a testament to the kind of good people that Brian, his Dad, Mike, and the rest of this great family/crew are; they brought Tami's bike to Yuma as Dick promised. I don't know how to repay them.

The bike is still in Yuma at Burt's house, and we'll get it and get it back into running shape whenever we get a chance to go back.

Thank you Brian (bajazona) and Mike (shortcutsmc).

Old 02-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #830
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,925
Wow. So sad.

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #831
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

January 17th....

We didn't sleep much, but we were ready to get on the road before the sun came up. Still, by the time we had some breakfast, packed, etc., it was warming up nicely. We headed over to the Rancho Grande store to pick up some water, and we were happy to see Coco roll in in his pickup.

He saw that we were two-up on the 950...

"Where's your bike?" he asked. "I broke it. We have to leave it." Tami said.

"Well, you can just stay here and live with me! "

Coco's hittin' on my girl again.

On the road again...

I really like riding 2 up with Tami, but not on this rough, loose SOB of a road. Sitting down was just painfully slow, so soon we were both on the pegs and rolling pretty good... 48mph seemed most comfortable.

Soon we hit the new pavement and could wick it up a bit.

Not much to tell after that. It didn't take long to get to San Felipe, and we visited Rice and Beans for lunch, then we sort of hauled ass all the way to the border. We crossed the border in Algodones in a few minutes, and rode to Burts place to get the truck. Driving home was uneventful, and we had fun reliving some of the trip and making plans for our next one.

I've often seen Gaspipe swear off Baja for awhile- so many other places to see, and so little time. Yet he always goes back. Baja pulls you in; the mysterious mountains, the history, the alien plant life, the beaches, the friendly, helpful people. I don't know what it is about this place, but it's calling me back already. You can't just go once. I promise.

The End.

Amen.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #832
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 8,017
Quote:
The End.

Amen.
I think I just lost a bet
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #833
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,392
Thank you, all

for the pics, the laughs and the sharing.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #834
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,299

That was a great report of an awesome trip!!

You proved my early prediction of this becoming one of the top ten best unfinished ride reports to be wrong.

I wish the sad part had not happened

I was stalking...er....I mean following all of your Spot trackers while you were in Baja and posting a few screenshots for the other basement dwellers each day.

We all became concerned the day your spot got "stuck" out in the middle of nowhere!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo
I hope all is well with Duke & Co.

His spot stopped shortly after that lunch break and has made the last 6 or so updates from the same place....at what looks to be out in the middle of nothing.

Let's hope it starts moving again soon.......
CLICK HERE to see all the chatter that day....we were all relieved to hear from you the next day.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experiences with the rest of us!!
Old 02-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #835
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 26,003
As the events unfolded that day the rest of us were all home safe following Duke's SPOT and wondering what the heck was going on and hoping that everyone was ok.

Imagine how shocked we were a couple days later when the whole story was posted.

Brian found us in Pull Up A Chair and made this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaZona
Tami, Duke, Mommer...

Thank you for your thoughts, your prayers, and your kindness. The arrangements have been made in San Felipe, and we'll have my Dad back in the States tomorrow. We got my stepmother, Jan, home to Yuma last night, and I arrived home in Glendale this morning. As wonderful as Baja is, when tragedy strikes, Gonzaga Bay is a LONG way from home. It helps to be back here with my wife and my boys.

Please keep in touch.

Brian Wilson

Dick Wilson
1936-2010
Vaya con Dios, Papa
Godspeed Dick, and our thoughts continue to be with Brian and his family.

Charla screwed with this post 02-16-2010 at 06:22 PM
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #836
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Godspeed, Dick.

Thanks for posting that, Charla.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #837
mommer
bring on the world!!!!

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:

I'm crying again here as I read through this again.... one of the worst days ever.

well, he did pass in a place that he loved, i heard some of the stories of what he had done in his life....

anyway, duke and tami.. i love you guys, and wouldn't have wanted to have that happen with anyone else.. i really can't wait till the next time..
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/g...UkefvUtpvQzqzl
mommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #838
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 26,003
I hate to end the report on such a sad note so we'll toss in a bit of melancholy and hopefully get a few more smiles.

Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #839
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla
I hate to end the report on such a sad note so we'll toss in a bit of melancholy and hopefully get a few more smiles.

That was awesome!

Despite that last day, this was the best trip ever. I can't imagine a better group to ride with.

Let's go again!

Old 02-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #840
IdeaWife
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
NICE!

Thanks everyone, that was awesome!
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather a skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, body thoroughly used up and worn out, screaming WOO-HOO, what a ride!"
IdeaWife is offline   Reply With Quote