User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
dp_t3 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Mega Tubes

Hi, Some have seen and discussed my Mega Tubes in tool tube discussions. I'm offering these now at advrider group pricing. The Mega Tubes are similar to the much discussed agri supply tubes. They are larger, 4 1/4" diameter versus 3 1/4", about 3/4" internal length longer. A little math shows nearly twice the volume. They are designed and manufactured by the original operators manual canister designer.
(fun fact- per designer, agri's are "borrowed" from his design, hence no R&D cost, hence can sell at $5). Yes, I sell these on Ebay, shame, shame. I noticed that Agri wasn't marketing these well, as in, not at all, and took a shot at it. My sales have been popular enough to spawn 5 copycat ebay vendors, surprisingly using the exact same hardware and generally the same descriptions.
Anyway, enough backstory. I don't expect anyone who knows the agrisupply connection to buy from those tubes from me. I realize it's a good product, and have worked hard to develop complimentary items around it. I brought to market the Tube Tender, a liner bag. I developed locking systems for all three tubes, the standard, the stretch, and the Mega. I sourced a mega compatible tool roll. But the biggest project yet has been the Mega tube- This required a separate production run, shipped from N China, got caught up in Homeland Security for 3 weeks- but, now available. I sold out of my first 48 samples immediately in October, and chose to take the plunge for a steady supply.
Are they the greatest thing ever? No, they wont' change your world- but they are pretty damn cool- especially if you have the standard tube, and wanted to put something just a bit bigger in one. Think quart size yogurt container for diameter- Same brackets, slightly different cap threads, same general durability as standard tube.
But- a 1.5 Liter Primus fuel can fits- as the Mega cap compresses the gasket, the primus cap is tightened in place- fuel can diameter slightly less, not the same air whoosh fit as the std and the 1 liter can, but still pretty cool.
Advrider pricing $19US, paypal only, plus appropriate shipping. US Domestic, I ship USPS priority. These package up at about 22 oz, so you are at the 2 lb rate. Ships from 98225. Local pickup fine, cash. International, I ship USPS 1st class intl. Generally $14.20 Add $0.75 for packaging. I'd love to ship cheaper, but these are the costs, and I package to minimize damage.
Tube Tenders, $15.50- Sorry, they cost alot to make, that's break even for me.
Tool Rolls, $22- again- costs - these are limited, about 30 left, doubt I'll order 100 more.
Contact me thru PM, but dpelkie (at) thetooltube.com may get quicker results.
Alternate website, http://web.me.com/dpelkie/Site/Home.html
photos at http://dp-t3.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
Thanks, fire away questions, comments, stories.....
Sorry, working on the photo thing.....

Update 1/20. A few details I forgot. Mega tube comes w/ hardware, 3 (5/8") stainless p clamps, 3 nut/bolt/wash 1/4-20 allen head stainless, and zipties.
International shipping. Any packages over $38 of stuff, I will be adding insurance at $1.65 to the order. I have had only a few stray enroute, but it's a big hit to replace out of my pocket. So far, domestic shipping has been fine, and has a track number. Thanks

dp_t3 screwed with this post 01-20-2010 at 08:01 AM
dp_t3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
dp_t3 OP
Adventurer

photos

[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
dp_t3 OP
Adventurer

Locking hardware, DRZ brackets for tubes

Here's a few items I've played with, maybe they have some value here, use and improve-
I felt the tubes should be able to be secured- so I came up with this, for the standard tube and the long size standard;

Hardware used is 1" stainless d rings, 1/4" p clamps, stainless rivets, 3/16" x 1/2", and #10 backing washers. Fuel line bits are slit lengthwise, clipped onto d rings. They snug up the d ring, allow it to rotate, but also stay in place.
Here's the hardware I use for locking the Mega tubes. Some guys from Greece came up with a lock core installed thru the bottom of the cap end bracket, but the photo was too blurry to make out the exact arrangement. I chose this option to allow access from most any mounting configuration.

I use 5/32" stainless cable, swedged on 8 ga copper lug ends, and finished w/ clear heat shrink tube. Stainless loop attaches to cap w/ 3/16" ss rivets, backed w/ washers inside. Cable is anchored to tube vent hole, riveted from inside for smooth interior, and guided by 1/8" nylon p clamp on bracket. The 3/16 ss p clamp is installed on the opposite side as a parking spot for the cable and lock when not needed. The lug end hole is big enough for more standard size padlocks, I supply a basic brass padlock w/ my kits. Of any of the potential weak points of the design, it isn't the ss cable. I destroyed one brand new pair of cable cutters w/o evidence of damage to cable! The salesman first stated, oh yeah no problem, those are great cutters, to, "what a piece of crap" moments after I purchased and tested them.
One user pointed out the need for a grit proof padlock. So far I've worked w/ plastidip coating as a form fitting guard, still in beta testing. The pennytech fix is a fat rubber band fixed vertically across the key slot.

Happy Trails SU rack clamps, 7/8" p clamps, worked w/ vise grips and vise to squared off shape.

DRZ400s brackets- 1/8" flat stock, 1.5" & 2" widths. M6 bolt for threaded hole in subframe where helmet lock had lived, rearmost bolt at subframe attachment. There are better designs and executions out there, this was a quick design and build for a customer. I built another for myself, not yet tested extensively.

http://web.me.com/dpelkie/Site/Home.html
Old 01-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
dp_t3 OP
Adventurer

3rd size, large tube, sourcing

I have posted some of my tube items @ vendors, under "mega tube". I do carry a third size, not the 2 1/2" diameter, I just couldn't see enough use for that.
I carry a 3 1/4" diameter tube w/ a longer (taller?) cap than the standard agri model. (12 1/4" instead of 11 5/8") I have a few left, probably won't restock, not that great a demand. The only unique feature they seem to have is the ability to carry most glass bottled beverages, say, 750 ml.
I located the original manufacturer of the manual holders- he designed, developed, manufactures, and wholesales to tractor makers worldwide. I'm a tiny portion of his business, but he likes my business, so he sells to me. We are currently developing a parallel product for another market niche.
My large tubes are the result of my taking a chance, and putting up a few thousand dollars for a discrete production run, and shipping it to the states. Had I ordered 10,000 units, my cost would have been cheaper, but my quantities were quite a bit less.
Some may find the feature article in this month's Wired magazine quite interesting- It discusses the very new opportunities available thru the intersection of the internet, cheaper production tooling for the small shop, and the willingness and ability of chinese factories to produce small runs for niche markets. There is a car company in Mass releasing an open source street legal rally car- imagine producing and selling the ultimate dual sport?
So let me ask, what would you like to see in the tube? I've considered deleting the plastic brackets, specing stainless bands; sturdier, can possibly rotate independent of one another, perhaps negating the need for intermediate tube to bike bracket adapters. Quarter turn caps? Integral locks? Anything can be done, quantity is the key (think 500-1000 units). The tubes are a great product, everybody has there own ideas how to best use them, and some small improvement to make them that much better.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Wheresmurph
SEEKER OF PEACE

Oddometer: 536
Perfect !!!

Great Idea.
Pm`ing ya for shipping.......Murf.

www.wherethehellismurph.com
Wheresmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:05 AM   #6
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Oddometer: 2,574
how durable are they? we put a tractor tube on a DR650 (similar to the way it is mounted on the DRZ) and the first tip-over they broke off at the ears.
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
dp_t3 OP
Adventurer

durability

I suspect they would break if they were between the ground and a falling 400+ lb bike. I don't know the details of the above mentioned break, how and where it was mounted, etc. I mounted the Mega tube on the drz just recently, in the same location as I had placed the standard tube earlier. The standard tube was tucked in enough to be somewhat guarded by everything else. When photographing the Mega, I realized it does protrude out, maybe too far. I view a lot of my photos as "serving suggestions", these are really just generic canisters designed for manual storage, and the motorcycle application is basically all custom adaptations. These have worked very well on the weestrom, where they are protected by the Givi pannier rack. On bikes w/o that sort of nook, they may be best mounted a top rack. I know I've busted my front turn signals on the wee more times than I can count, and finally fixed the problem by going low profile. The sturdy bombproof tube is the GT moto version, looks great, but you pay a hefty sum upfront. For some it's probably the way to go. I can offer the knowledge of approx 250 sold of various sizes, and no reports yet of breakage in normal use. 2 reports on breakage on arrival, whether my lax packing or "exuberant" delivery personnel, I don't know. One w/ a finicky cap that was difficult enough to remove that the customer notified me. (all replaced asap).
Old 01-31-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Oddometer: 2,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp_t3
I suspect they would break if they were between the ground and a falling 400+ lb bike. I don't know the details of the above mentioned break, how and where it was mounted, etc. I mounted the Mega tube on the drz just recently, in the same location as I had placed the standard tube earlier. The standard tube was tucked in enough to be somewhat guarded by everything else. When photographing the Mega, I realized it does protrude out, maybe too far. I view a lot of my photos as "serving suggestions", these are really just generic canisters designed for manual storage, and the motorcycle application is basically all custom adaptations. These have worked very well on the weestrom, where they are protected by the Givi pannier rack. On bikes w/o that sort of nook, they may be best mounted a top rack. I know I've busted my front turn signals on the wee more times than I can count, and finally fixed the problem by going low profile. The sturdy bombproof tube is the GT moto version, looks great, but you pay a hefty sum upfront. For some it's probably the way to go. I can offer the knowledge of approx 250 sold of various sizes, and no reports yet of breakage in normal use. 2 reports on breakage on arrival, whether my lax packing or "exuberant" delivery personnel, I don't know. One w/ a finicky cap that was difficult enough to remove that the customer notified me. (all replaced asap).
I suspect those aluminum brackets will absorb a lot of stress at impact and the aluminum will bend before the ears break.
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
dp_t3 OP
Adventurer

brackets

That's my feeling, too, from pressing on them- They do flex, and rebound. But w/o actually dropping (yet), I didn't want to say that.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:58 AM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,050
Please confine your vendors posting to your thread in Vendors. No pimping in the Equipment forum. Thank you. Your post has been moved.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #11
dp_t3 OP
Adventurer

My bad, thanks for correcting.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
dp_t3 OP
Adventurer

UniMounts for tool tubes

I'm playing around with a new mounting system for tool tubes. Some folks have concerns of the durability of the brackets, I get a number of questions of "will it fit my (fill in the blank) bike. I don't have access to a variety of bikes, so I can't honestly answer those- these were born from a MacGyver situation-
I decided to approach from the angle of; delete the molded brackets, fashion a system that allows mounting a tube to any 2 or 3 points, in line or not- durable, yet replaceable, easy to install, virtually no tools, and arrived at this-
Zip ties rated @ 175 and 250 lbs, dual swivel mounts @ 250 lbs.

zip ties used in photos are standard lightweight zips- no need to use the big boys in mock ups- save those for pulling your car out of a ditch. I also located some zip tie brackets for bolt on applications- 1/4" bolt to frame member, etc, then wrap zip around tube unit. Pricing TBD. Few parts in stock right now.
Dual Sport Tool Rolls nearly sold out, next generation being modified, at fabricators now, March release anticipated.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:56 PM   #13
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Dual Sport Tool Rolls nearly sold out, next generation being modified, at fabricators now, March release anticipated.
subscribed.
I am sorry, but I am confused about ordering the tube, tool roll and locking mecanism. shipping to CA.
thank you!!
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:16 AM   #14
dp_t3 OP
Adventurer

bikyto, PM sent, Thanks.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #15
dp_t3 OP
Adventurer

New Tool Rolls, now shipping

My 2nd generation of Dual Sport Tool Rolls are now in stock. Slight realignment of sleeves, more are wider now, approx 2". 2 half height sleeves, at right side. Same heavy duty pack cloth, taped seams. New for this version is a zippered pouch, independent of tool roll. Sized to fit in a wide sleeve. Sockets, fasteners, small bits. adv price $24, pm or mention in order for price.